PDA

View Full Version : What changes or adjustments are needed for early transmission swaps???

1FastBrick
June 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have'nt been able to find much info on swaps using early transmissions. Specifically what perameters need to be changed if your not using an electronicly controlled transmission??? Do I need to have some type of speed signal from the wheel or driveshaft??? I am not worried about Gauges as this would be for an older car.

I want to make sure the engine starts, runs, and functions properly with an earlier transmission. Any tips or maybe links to this info???

Taz
June 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hello 1FastBrick,

If you plan on running a non-computer controlled automatic transmission with a Gen III V8 - then a tune from a manual transmission vehicle is generally used. You need a VSS input to the PCM. This signal can be taken from the transmission, driveshaft, wheel - pretty much anywhere you want - then adjust the tune accordingly.

Unless you already have a high quality non-computer controlled transmission - from an ease of tuning / driveability / fuel economy perspective I wouldn't recommend using one. A 4L60E or 4L80E (for heavy duty use) are much more user friendly and just about infinitely configurable - including the option of two different shift patterns - one for cruising / daily use, and another for the track / spirited driving.

Regards,
Taz

1FastBrick
June 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the Info Taz. What are most people useing for a sensor and ring to get a VSS signal??? Are there kits availble for this type of conversion