PDA

View Full Version : Flashscan dim and blinking when powered up from vehicle?

Boost
June 13th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I am working on a Tahoe with a charging system complaint. Everything seems good and solid and it has a new battery, so I just wanted to scan it for history codes before I let it go. To my suprise, when I connected to the OBDII port and the FS, instead of powering up normal, it lit up very dimly and the lights very blinking / flashing rapidly. When I proceeded to connect to the laptop, it powered up normal, and everything worked fine. Except I noticed while logging data, some of the values changed so rapidly that they were difficult to read. What does this mean about the vehicle?

Tordne
June 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
My initial thought is that it is not supplying FlashScan with enough voltage/current through the OBDII port for it to boot the device properly. The LEDs are the first thing to be powered (visually) on the device so might just have been booting (or attempting to) rapidly. Try it on another vehicle to make sure there is no device fault.

Boost
June 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Ok will do. Pretty sure it was the truck though. Thanks!

Tordne
June 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the truck as well :)

Boost
June 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
:) oh well I shipped the silly thing and charged an hour diagnostic checkout. round these parts we call it "dropkick". Just wanted to make sure my FS is ok! (seems) :)

JezzaB
June 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I used to have this all the time with my old FS V2. Usually it happened when the unit became hot (hot in the car on the dyno etc). I would let the fan blow through it and it will work again. the display would not show and the lights would all be on and dim.

Boost
June 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Jezza, you mean it would still light up normal when you connect to your computer? Mine did. Temp in the shop is 95 degrees here...

JezzaB
June 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Jezza, you mean it would still light up normal when you connect to your computer? Mine did. Temp in the shop is 95 degrees here...

Sorry mine was a bit different. If you had it on USB power it would do it. Plug it in to the car and it was fine.

Boost
June 16th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Ok, yeah that sounds like you FS was being tempermental. heat = resistance