PDA

View Full Version : VIN Change

chrleb2
June 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I was playing around and was going to change the VIN to put a tune in my other truck. When i would save the file with the new VIN number, it would revert back to the original VIN when I'd open up the file.

2007 5.9
June 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I was playing around and was going to change the VIN to put a tune in my other truck. When i would save the file with the new VIN number, it would revert back to the original VIN when I'd open up the file.

Erick,

You can't change the VIN within the v7.5 software. Load tune into truck, then without starting it, open up scantool, go to file, bidirectional, change VIN. Assign vin to ECM and follow directions. Once that's done start truck to be sure it took...then be sure to re-read tune with new assigned vin and save it.

~Les

chrleb2
June 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Sweet. Thanx for the info.

Truck Source
June 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Heres a dumb question, would it be possible to load a tune on a blank/new ecm installed in the truck, or does an operating system or some kind of firmware have to be installed too. Reason i ask is this may be a viable option for those that dont have the dodge scan tool nor want to deal w/ a dealership.

GMPX
June 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Yes it is possible, in fact that is the only option. The way the Cummins ECM was designed is all programming tools are forced to reflash the entire ECM.