PDA

View Full Version : P11 Custom OS

Spindoctor
June 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
While I have tuned several systems with EFI Live I have not done a custom OS yet.
I have a vintage, non GM 4cyl project I am building that requires I use a DBW throttle.
It will be turbo charged. On a quick check the P11 looks like it could fit the bill.
Since I am unfamiliar with this PCM are there any issues that would make it a poor choice?
I can make use of all GM sensors as needed.

GMPX
June 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
P11 would be a poor choice if it's going to be Turbo charged. Maybe consider going to something like an E37 or E67 ECM, both are Electronic Throttle, will run a decent amount of boost and have factory programs for 4 cylinder applications. The only thing is you would need to get a 58x crank signal from the engine. E37's are dirt cheap too, like $10 off Ebay, keep 5 spares :grin:

ScarabEpic22
June 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Tim, Ive looked extensively at boosting the P10 (big brother to the P11 but for the 4.2L I6 motor) and it can be done, there arent many options though and your fueling/spark control is VERY limited. And to not get the reduced power mode you have to turn off the MAP/TP rationality tests so they can see the extra airflow. Not ideal if you can avoid it, harder to on stock trucks but much easier on a swap.

If you want a better PCM than the P11, use a P12. Is it a manual trans? If so an 06-07 Cobalt SS S/C OS would fit the bill very nicely as it has FACTORY boost control from GM. :D They use a 7x crank reluctor signal, not exactly sure what the cam signal is but I assume its 1x.

If you have the option, Id definitely go with an E67 or E37. I dont know much about the E37s except they share a lot of things in common with the E38/E67s and the E67 in my TBSS would handle a pretty decent amount of boost!

P12: normal VE tables (I know the Atlas I4 2.5/2.7L engines have VVT so if the Cobalt does too you'll have 5 VE tables to tune), good spark resolution, moderate boost control
E37/E67: Virtual VE table (a little trickier to tune, but still pretty simple), very good spark resolution all the way through boost, 2.5 Bar boost control (full control over fuel/spark).

Spindoctor
June 22nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
This is a test motor for induction system design.
It will only see 1 bar boost max and maybe 200hp. Future engine design would be in excess of 500hp from 1.5ltr (think M12-7 engine detuned for the street)
Now would a 58x crank sensor be the same as a 60-2? As my system has that now.
Resolution is Very important to me for this testing.
Do either the E37 or E67 ECM offer traction control via throttle reduction? I have an alternate function in mind for that output.

I will move future questions over to the proper E37 E67 area.
Thanks again-

ScarabEpic22
June 22nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Yes, 58x is a 60-2 reluctor setup. Not sure how close other designs have to be to GMs, but I imagine it should work out. Since you already have this, throw the P11/P12 out the window and use an E37/E67.

I know E67s let you control traction and spark via fuel, spark, and tps. There are a few E67 OSs on tunefiledepot.com, download a few and look through them to see how you can set it up.