PDA

View Full Version : 99 tahoe, black box pcm need help

RSTahoe99
June 23rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
2 things....

I swapped in a T56 for the 4l60e and need to reprogram the computer(so it doesn't think i'm in park). I am an EFILive newbie, so basic as possible is good.

I also need to correct my timing(my dizzy is one tooth off). What part of EFIlive do i use and how do i set it up to see cam retard to set the timing?

thanks in advance guys.

ScarabEpic22
June 23rd, 2011, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the site!

For the timing, honestly you should pull the dizzy and reset it properly. Using tuning to adjust for a mechanical issue is a band-aid at best, but unlike a band-aid on humans the problem wont go away and could get bigger over time.

Not sure what to do about the trans swap, just looked really quickly at a Black Box file and didnt see what needs to be changed. I dont know if the Tahoes were offered with a manual trans for 98-00, if they are then you can use one of those files and be all set. Otherwise swapping to an LS1B PCM would make the swap painless.

RSTahoe99
June 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM
i plan on pulling the dizzy to correctly set the timing, i just need to be able to see zero when i do so I'm not blindly setting the timing.

i also plan on swapping to the 0411 pcm, but i need a quick fix for now, as i won't be able to have it down for some time again.

ScarabEpic22
June 23rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Hopefully someone who tunes the black box can help out here, I dont know of a way to set it up for a manual. PM Alicious, he's got a T56 in a 96 truck but I dont know if he did the trans swap before or after his 0411 swap.

If you want to see what your timing is, use the V7.5 Scan tool and connect to your truck. Click Edit->Validate PIDs, then look for the CMP and timing PIDs. Press the yellow button to view realtime data, red button to actually record the data.

Taz
June 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
Hello RSTahoe99,

Regarding the distributer synchronization .... take a look at the two threads linked below:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14762-Camshaft-Position-Retard.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14793-Need-help-with-getting-the-idle-right.

You didn't mention what OS your 1999 Tahoe is using ... perhaps OS 09365085 or OS 16263425 ?

No matter what the actual OS is, your choices are:

locate a manual transmission tune using the same OS as you have, and swap in the transmission calibration and transmission diagnostic segment (if applicable)
run the manual transmission using the existing tune - and disable any transmission related DTCs - I have never done this - some people have done this with varying success
The future 0411 PCM swap will open up many more tuning avenues - as you already know the Black Box Vortec PCM is a limiting factor.

Regards,
Taz

RSTahoe99
June 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Man I'm impressed, not only with the awesome info. , the the response time!!! You guyz are bada$$. Btw. i know Aloicious he did the 0411 swap and said he could figure out how to change the black box pcm i have.

Taz thanks man, i will do the research tonight and let you guys know. Thanks again!

RSTahoe99
June 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
my OS system is 09365085.

How do I change the calibrations? Everytime i click on them it tells me im in demo mode. I don't want to sound like an idiot, but i already registered my programmer, but this "Demo message" shows up everytime I open Efi tune

RSTahoe99
June 25th, 2011, 04:15 PM
also where do i find a manual tune using the same OS. I looked in my bin files and don't have any for my OS system. Where do i find more bin files?

gmperformancecentre
June 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
try here
http://www.tunefiledepot.com/

Taz
June 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM
OK ... if the software is in "Demo" mode, odds are a data entry issue has occurred. Open the Tune Tool ... select the "Help" menu ... then the "Register EFILive" submenu. Enter the information from the "Blue Card" that came with your V2 ... it must be entered exactly ... often a leading zero is omitted from the FlashScan serial number. When you're finished click "OK" ... and close the Tune Tool. When you reopen the Tune Tool it should be functional.

There is no manual tune using OS 90365085 currently on the Tune File Depot site. You will need to track one down ... that OS is common to 1999 Black Box Vortec PCMs used in 2500 / 3500 series trucks, SUVs, S10 truck & Blazers, and Astro vans. Your best bet for a manual tune is from a truck - full size or S10.

If all else fails, your local GM dealer may be able assist ... you will need the VIN for the tune you want (i.e. full size truck with 5.7 L and manual transmission). They may or may not flash a non-vehicle matching tune (different VIN) into your vehicle. My local dealer will not flash a non-matching VIN tune, nor "bench" flash a controller.

An upgrade to an LS1-B controller ("0411 swap") would make locating a manual tune straight forward, and would probably be the over all "easiest" course of action.

Regards,
Taz

RSTahoe99
June 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
There was no manual tune in the file list from efi live or tunefiledepot.com

i put all the info from the blue card in the tune program, but i will try the 0 in front of the serial to see if that works

RSTahoe99
June 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
ureka! i had it labeled as personal, but i bought a commercial programmer

no tune files for my os and manual in efilive or tunefiledepot.....:(----im pretty sure the dealerships around here wouldn't know what i was talking about if i asked them for a file. any other suggestions?

RSTahoe99
June 27th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Is there a way to change the OS system on the pcm? Is this recommended? My truck was dyno tuned before the swap, will the info transfer to the new os system? How do you do that?

Aloicious
June 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I've never seen a manual trans tune for your OS unfortunately. I built that tune I posted up on my site out of a 1998 tahoe stock tune and a manual S10 tune with the same OS. it SHOULD still work hopefully, but since it is a different OS# you'll need to actually do a full flash to your PCM.

RSTahoe99
June 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Well i changed the d0400 to manual, also reset the calibration for the speedo to the t56 and my tires and wheels. reflashed. cranked right up. Sounded good, took off properly, i was so happy i nearly peed my pants!

Two right turns later and im stranded. the truck would start and run, but that was it. If i hit the gas the truck would spontaneously rev up to 1500 rpm or so multiple times and then go back to idle. I check the codes and "i think" it was p00463 or something like that. i was in a hurry to find a quick solution i deleted thinking i could restart after clearing and head back home. Nope.

I had to reload my previous tune and then head home. Good thing i brought my laptop.

It felt perfect and then nothing, any ideas on what happened? Its too late to try it again(neighbors), but i will attempt again tomorrow to get the real code.