PDA

View Full Version : TPS adjustment

johnmaster
June 23rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Wondering what to do here. I installed a 0-5v GM tps on my 99 GM truck. It is not the one made for the vehicle but it should work as far as I can tell, I dont have the stock throttle body on there anymore so the stock one will not work.
I want to figure out how to get the pcm to know where 0 and 100 percent throttle are.

I have read the tps reset instructions regarding "pull the tps connector and wait so many seconds etc" but I have not done that yet because I want to understand how/why it can figure out 100% if there is no instruction for telling it what voltage 100% is at.

The stock one I measured on the bench with a 5.1V power supply and I got roughly 1.8V at closed throttle and 4.19 at wot. I tried to install the new one at 1.8V at closed throttle to keep from having to change anything else and not only was I out of travel on my bracket long before that, 1.8V way way far into the travel range of the new one. Aside from that, .8v or so was already showing roughly 10% throttle position. Instead of setting it by voltage I just backed it off until the scantool read 0% and carefully tightened it so a hair touch of the pedal would make the tps move. This was great except now my max wot is something like 75%.

I have some travel left in the zero direction that i can back it off more. Do I have to back it off some, guess, do a relearn and see where the new wot comes in at?

Any help is appreciated.

johnmaster
June 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Anybody know what i should do? This thing wont shift right with it only going to 75% throttle at the max.

johnmaster
June 28th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Did some more poking at it today and it turns out my shaft travel is only 3/4 of the original throttle body this tps was intended for. I am going to have to try to dig up one that is closer to the original sweep or get more creative with it.

joecar
June 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I don't have any answers, but I'm following along.

johnmaster
June 28th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Much appreciated, I think I may just have to go look at the picture book at the parts store and start ordering some in and testing them to see which one will work for my needs. This one was in the innovate tps kit for holley carbs, which is odd because it is a holley baseplate and the sweep isnt anywhere near close so I don't know what the use was that they intended. I believe the application is late 90's camaro 2.8L. 78% was the best I could hit even after a reset. Oh well.