PDA

View Full Version : putting '06-'07 ecm in older trucks?

hpi_jeep
June 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Is it possible? it seems i am reading of people swapping ecm's does this allow the use of efi on older trucks?
is it just '04.5+ or '03+ ?

TIA

comnrailpwr
July 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
I am in the middle of this now only I gotta be different. I'm trying to repin my 03 harness to accept the 06 ecm and communicate with the engine only. Dash communication is not feasible nor do I need that

killerbee
July 1st, 2011, 03:39 AM
Wow! I will look forward to your success.

comnrailpwr
July 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
As of now I got all the pins labeled and out of the harness. I got the new schematic created and am just trying to find te to insert the pins and test it. Bought a house so the process is going slow

hpi_jeep
July 3rd, 2011, 02:01 AM
Keep us updated! good luck and congrats on the new house

comnrailpwr
July 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Update. Got the wires that I feel are needed to run the motor in their new location. When I get my top pump back in going to try to start it. Basically I only hooked up what's needed for the motor, if it doesn't start then I will start hooking up other pins till it does. I am confident and know where the other pins go but I am going for standalone and am not worried about any other function besides proper motor operation.

BBdiesel
July 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Update?? im anxious to hear what you come up with!

comnrailpwr
July 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hopefully getting my top pump serpentine belt and belt tensioner a buddy borrowed back this wknd. He need them ASAP so I let him use them to pull. Another buddy borrowed my bottom pump a couple wks ago. Hopefully getting that one too lol. It tell ya when they find out your takin the season off they flock from all sides. Anyway hopefully I will be able to try it out next wk sometime. I'm moving so it all depends on if I have time. I will let u all know as soon as I know something

Spray & Pray

LReiff
July 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm working on putting a 07 ecm on my 04 truck as the main ecu. Planning to piggy back the 04 ecm in to read sensors only for instrument cluster function. Anyone try this or have some tips?

comnrailpwr
July 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Now that sounds like a challenge lol. I never thought about trying that nor would I. Sounds like it would be a nightmare between the two different communicating systems. Still don't have my pumps but when I do i'll let u know how my progress is goin. Hopefully good!

Spray & Pray

LReiff
July 18th, 2011, 03:07 AM
The sensors to ecm communication is performed on a 5volt reference signal...all the way back to the first CR control system that cummins/bosch/motorola/etc released for these engines. CAN_BUS and/or SCI comm. is only how the vehicle communicates with the engine, 03-05 instrument clusters operate off SCI comm. and 06+ operate off CAN-BUS. The piggybacked ecm will only steal sensor output to convert data to SCI comm. so the 2004 IC can display it.

comnrailpwr
July 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I got ya. Your just going to split the signal and take it to both ecm's. One for the motor and one for the IC. That wont be that bad I guess. Trying to get the lights out would a pita. I figured since I'm competition only then I can just take IC out and the would make nice spot for my laptop. I knew that the sensors were all the same as far as 5 volt reference goes. I'm using all 03-04 wiring and sensors for my transition too the 06-07 ecm. I am figuring I am going to have to play around with the apps sensor some to get it to work correctly but other than that it seems its just moving wires to the right pin location.. Its a really time consuming process but will be worth it i hope.

Spray & Pray

LReiff
July 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM
Poor mans standalone...if it works. LOL

comnrailpwr
July 21st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Lol amen. If your like me then if its the last thing I do till work. If ppl can make a 6.7 based zues work on a 5.9 then I can make it work.

Spray & Pray

BBdiesel
August 9th, 2011, 05:26 AM
any news comnrailpwr??

comnrailpwr
August 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Not much. Truck is down for some other non related mods so I still cannot test it. I can read ecm, But cannot try to start truck just yet. Hopefully really soon.

Spray & Pray

6cummins
August 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Any update on this? Im watching very closely.. Can you not just swap the 06 cluster in as well and change its pinout? I too will help out if we can get this going in the right direction.. Gonna start looking at a schematic really close I have all the factory service manuals.. Where are you hung up? What does the dash need from the ECM?