PDA

View Full Version : Is there a newb section?

Mechanical_Deviant
July 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I am totally new to this forum, and efi live. My name is Daniel, most people just call me mech_dev. I have been thinking about buying efi live for the cars I build which are primarily powered by chevy small blocks. Right now we have a l92, and a couple lq9's and a ls1 coming soon. I have been poking around in here for a few days. I just want to know if there is a newb section so I don't ask a bunch of dumb questions. I am familiar with standalone engine management systems having worked with Haltech, Megasquirt, Apexi, and AEM. With the switch to mainly chevy motors it makes sence to use a ecu that will tune all my cars.

That being said I just want to clarify a few things if the community wouldn't mind some dumb newb questions.

Efi live can disable imobilizers correct? This is important to me as I put chevy motors in all sorts of cars.

Secondly Im looking at getting the V2 with the tuning software, is there anything else I need to know before I buy it?

Thirdly and finally this tunner will NOT work on Fords correct?

Thanks for the time sorry for the newb questions. I am on many other forums I know how annoying and repetative they can get.

ScarabEpic22
July 7th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Welcome Daniel!

Theres not a designated newb section, if you have a question and dont find anything about it from searching the forums, just make a new thread about it. (Sounds like you're familiar with people just posting without searching first, Im on a few forums where guys have pretty much stopped responding if its a common question.)

Yes, EFILive can disable VATS for transplants.

No, EFILive only supports GM vehicles with the exception of the newly released 5.9L Cummins tuning support (6.7L tuning coming soon).

You would need a FlashScan V2 + GM Tuning upgrade license to log, scan, tune, etc. Also depending on how many engines you plan to tune, look at purchasing a stream license for the controller you're going to be using. Even if you dont plan on tuning many now, you can roll-over I believe 80% of each VIN license up to 50% of the total stream cost.

joecar
July 7th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Download/install both V7 and V8 software from Here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133);

you will need both V7 and V8:
- V7: scantool logger/viewer, tunetool editor/flasher,
- V8: V2 black box logger/flasher configuring tool.

Also on that downloads page, scroll down to see some tutorials.

When you install V7 you will find the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's;
as you play with V7 software, read along in these pdf's.

The best thing to do is to click on the cogs in my sig and follow those links... and ask questions here on the forum.

Not a problem being a newb, we've all been newbs, if you ask a sensible question you will be pointed to the answer.

You will need a wideband, preferably one with serial comms output (in V8 S&T software, goto F6:Devices, goto F8:Serial I/O, look at Wideband Type, the dropdown lists the widebands that are supported for serial comms).

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

Mechanical_Deviant
July 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Awesome thanks for the info. I have seen you in several posts on here Mr. Joecar, you seem very knowledegable. Ok well I have to go pick up a car from the sandblaster, when I get back I am ordering Efi Live. Has anyone on here been to the EFI University classes? I was thinking about going. I haven't tuned a car in a couple years and I am building cars on a level I have never before, so was thinking extra knowledge never hurts.

joecar
July 7th, 2011, 11:30 AM
You might also do some reading first:

Greg Banish book 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Management-Advanced-Greg-Banish/dp/1932494421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310084821&sr=8-1)
Greg Banish book 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Tuning-High-Performance-Injection-Systems/dp/1932494901/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310084821&sr=8-2)

Also he has two DVD's available from Summit Racing.