PDA

View Full Version : E67 Max I/Os

NateD4
July 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm new to the forum and am trying to figure out what the maximum sensor inputs and outputs are on the E67 ECMs.

gmh308
July 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I'm new to the forum and am trying to figure out what the maximum sensor inputs and outputs are on the E67 ECMs.

Depends on which operating system. ZR1/LS9 or similar uses a lot as includes the S/C controls like two IAT's, boost pressure as well as MAP, boost control etc etc. That said, a truck that runs EGR/AIR Pump/VVT & AFM would be also using a lot of the I/O too.

NateD4
July 15th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Ive got a 3900 VVT.

I'd like to set it up to control a VGT turbo (even if that means I need to write the algorithms myself).

Does an E67 have enough spare inputs to do this?

gmh308
July 15th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Ive got a 3900 VVT.

I'd like to set it up to control a VGT turbo (even if that means I need to write the algorithms myself).

Does an E67 have enough spare inputs to do this?

Again...it depends on which OS and calibration set an E67 has. It may even have forced induction in there but just disabled. Advice would be to get the schematics for your 3900 and compare with CTS-V and ZR-1 and see if they have same pinouts.

If the factory uses an E67 for forced induction due to additional I/O requirements in lieu of E38 then that is a statement in itself right :).

You can write MPC assembler? Cool :cool:.

NateD4
July 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Is the hardware on an E67 generally the same?

I imagine there are groups of I/O blocks that can be pin interchangeable if the software supports it.

I can program assembly. Coding isn't so bad. Fitting it into the existing or figuring out what is going on is a different story.

Is there any reason I can't use an LS9 E67 and flash the coefficients and Lookup tables for the 3900 into it?

The harness I have appears to be set up for an E67.

My other option is to completely reflash an E38 and feed it data from a CAN bus broadcast to control all aspects of the turbo. However latency might be an issue......

gmh308
July 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yes E67 hardware is largely identical. And yes GM does move ports around depending on OS.

Yes disassembling the code that is there might be a good trick :).

Cant see any reason an LS9 E67 wouldnt do the trick. Though, what is a 3900? V8, V6, I6 ?

If the trans and the engine talk to each other in real time over the CAN, 500kbs is probably fine.

Is the hardware on an E67 generally the same?

I imagine there are groups of I/O blocks that can be pin interchangeable if the software supports it.

I can program assembly. Coding isn't so bad. Fitting it into the existing or figuring out what is going on is a different story.

Is there any reason I can't use an LS9 E67 and flash the coefficients and Lookup tables for the 3900 into it?

The harness I have appears to be set up for an E67.

My other option is to completely reflash an E38 and feed it data from a CAN bus broadcast to control all aspects of the turbo. However latency might be an issue......

NateD4
July 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The 3900 is a V6 from an Impala. This specific one has VVT and DOD and appears to use an E67 though I haven't been able to verify. But the harness does appear tto have 3 ECM plugs unless they are for a body computer or the trans controller (there is a separate group that appears to go to the trans controller).

500K is good. And that is probably the old CAN standard I think CAN 2 is at 2MB or so could be wrong.

In any rate I wounder what it'd take to reprogram a E38 as a VGT turbo, wastegate, BOV, alcohol injection, active intercooler controller. Maybe its a simple reuse of the existing programming with a bit of creative wiring?? If not I don't see why the E38 can't be reflashed with a completely custom program in it.

Sounds like its time to break out the scope, DAQ box, signal generators and start playing with code.....

gmh308
July 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
The 3900 is a V6 from an Impala. This specific one has VVT and DOD and appears to use an E67 though I haven't been able to verify. But the harness does appear tto have 3 ECM plugs unless they are for a body computer or the trans controller (there is a separate group that appears to go to the trans controller).

500K is good. And that is probably the old CAN standard I think CAN 2 is at 2MB or so could be wrong.

In any rate I wounder what it'd take to reprogram a E38 as a VGT turbo, wastegate, BOV, alcohol injection, active intercooler controller. Maybe its a simple reuse of the existing programming with a bit of creative wiring?? If not I don't see why the E38 can't be reflashed with a completely custom program in it.

Sounds like its time to break out the scope, DAQ box, signal generators and start playing with code.....

Seeing GM viewed the E38 as running out of pins for factory forced apps :). But then you wont need rear O2's and some other ports that are specifically for emissions related controls so maybe you can custom OS an E38 and re-allocate the ports. After all it has been done in the after market. What will you use to dis the code?

E67 has 2 x 73 pin connectors and one 56 pin. And it has E67 on the connector side has an ID in the casting of the case. "E67".