PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Shawn Sankey

joecar
July 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Shawn Sankey (WeathermanShawn (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?7931-WeathermanShawn)) 1956-2011

http://forum.efilive.com/image.php?u=7931&dateline=1266112991&type=thumb (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?7931-WeathermanShawn) 11437

It is with deep sadness that I inform you that Shawn has passed away on Saturday evening.

His wife Kristen pm'd me the sad news this morning, she said that he collapsed while running.

Shawn took an avid interest in tuning his 2002 Camaro with the EFILive tools. He authored the Calc.VET and Calc.MAFT tuning tutorials, and spent much time and effort ensuring they were clear and easy for everyone to understand and follow. He applied his knowledge to generously and graciously help many people on the forum with their tuning efforts, he and I discussed by phone many of those tuning cases and in doing so developed a friendship. He was very avid and enthusiastic about the forum, he enjoyed it very much.

In the Calc.VET tutorial Shawn introduced the idea of calculating the VE table from the corrected MAF table, this was very innovative and time saving; and the Calc.MAFT tutorial (where the calculation is done in reverse) was spawned from his ideas; he constantly sought to simplify, improve and generally make the tutorials accessible and useable by everyone.

Shawn is survived by his 2.5 year old daughter Carra and his wife Kristen.

We will miss Shawn a great deal, but we will always remember our conversations with him and his enthusiasm.

In memory of Shawn, please feel free to contribute: <url expired>

Shawn's funeral will be Tuesday 7/26 at 10:30am at the Horan & McConaty Funeral Home in Aurora, Colorado.
The burial will be at 12:00 noon at Fort Logan National Cemetary in Denver, Colorado.

Obituary on Funeral Home website (http://horancares.com/_mgxroot/page_10780.php?id=954765)

GMPX
July 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
That is very sad news, Shawn was very active and always helpful on the LSx forums and will certainly be missed by us all. Such a shame too for he's young family.

poconojoe
July 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
We are going to miss his great insight in finding the true issues causing the problems with our tunes and his great guidance with the various tutorials, that he has done over the years. Shawn was always willing to help and had the great patience, required when dealing with the novices

n8dogg
July 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
WOW! With out ever meeting Shawn I feel like I lost a friend. He helped me out tremendously. This is very sad, and a huge loss to the EFI Live community.

Tordne
July 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
That is terrible news! Our deepest sympathies and thoughts are with Shaun's family and friends at this time.

ScarabEpic22
July 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Devastating, Im at a loss for words.

Shawn helped us all out on this site, this is a huge shock to me. I only talked with him on here a few times but hoped that he, Joe, and I could work on a Calc.VET setup for the E38/67 ECMs.

RIP Shawn, you will be greatly missed.

Boost
July 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
WOW is all I can say! Rest in peace Shawn, GOD bless you and your family. You will truly be missed a very very valuable and friendly member. :( RIP

Dmaxink
July 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Oh i hate hearing this! Shawn has helped me on and off the site.. Super intelligent and helpful guy. My prayers are with the family, he will be deeply missed in the automotive world. Thank you Shawn for what you have left us with, However.

swingtan
July 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM
My condolences to his family and friends. Shawn was a great contributor here and no doubt in person he was true gentleman.

Simon

Taz
July 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I don’t know what to say. In the internet age, you can develop a friendship with someone you have never met - sort of like being a “pen pal” when I was a child. Shawn was a friend to so many of us, and a true gentleman. I’m certain Shawn will be missed by a great many people, for a multitude of reasons.

Joecar …

If you think it would meet with Mrs. Sankey’s approval, my family would like to send flowers (or some acknowledgement) to the funeral home / or a donation to the Sankey’s designated charitable organization.

Remorsefully,
Taz

DrX
July 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Shawn was the type of person who make this a great forum. My condolences to his family.

Dieselman
July 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
RIP Shawn

Ben

slows10
July 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
This is very sad news, especially for his wife and little girl. He will be missed by me and others on this forum greatly.For us junior enthusiasts it will be a little tougher, as he would go out of his way to make sure someone would get what he was saying. He was dedicated to making tuning easier and understandable. What a great loss. I pray his family gets through this tough time.

SSpdDmon
July 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
So sorry to hear. :(

Gjohnson
July 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'm speechless. I heard the new earlier from a friend and my heart goes out to Shawn's family and close ones. Shawn will definitely be missed and I can't say enough about how knowledgable and helpfull that he was. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Gregs
July 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
My prayers are with his family. I feel as though i knew him, I always knew he would be there to help me out. So sad to hear especially for his Wife and daughter

DrkPhx
July 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wow. I'm shocked and saddened to hear this. He was tireless in his devotion to helping others on this forum and leaves a big void here. My prayers go out to his family.

bmax
July 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
It's a shame, he will be missed.

Brad

8100 Power
July 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Terrible, terrible news. Very knowledgeable guy... :(

minytrker
July 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
RIP. I never met him in person, but talking to him online I feel like I lost a good friend. I wish his family the best in getting through this hard time. He will be missed by many.

TFZ_Z06
July 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Wow, Shawn was an awesome guy. I am so sad to hear this. I never met him in person, but I remember when I first started reading his posts and communicating w/him. I found his ideas very interesting and I really enjoyed reading his posts. Some days I would come home, login, just to see what he was
doing w/CALC.VE

To his family, I am sorry to hear of your loss. He will be missed.

mr.prick
July 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM
We lost a friend. http://smiliesftw.com/x/crossrc.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Patrick G
July 19th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Very sad. He was always quick to offer help to others. A true gentleman. Shawn will be missed for sure.

vxchev8
July 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Very sad to hear of the passing Mr Shawn Sankey (WeathermanShawn). A man who through this forum helped many people. My deepest condolences to the Sankey Family and Friends.

A great loss to the EFILive community.

R.I.P

Mr. P.
July 19th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Oh my god. This is awful, Shawn was a strong asset and a very warm human being. So sorry, this is a huge loss. Best wishes and prayers for him and his family.

Mr. P.

Tuned55
July 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to Shawn's family and loved ones at this time. The good ones always seem to leave first.

MikeyC
July 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Can't say it enough seems like... Weatherman always answered questions and made it easy for us "newbees" to understand. Shawn is and will always be missed. His family is in my prayers. Thanks for EVERYTHING Buddy.

Mike

rpmauto
July 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Shawn's family has my deepest sympathy.

I was very saddened when I heard this news. Though I never met Shawn face to face, I feel him a friend. He was always more than happy to help with any question. The man was tireless in his pursuits, if I posted on a thread of his at 2 am by 3 he would reply. Look at all the stickies in the gen 3 section, they are mostly by him. He didnt go with the flow and say this way is good enough, he wanted to find better ways of doing things. I am sure this is how he lead his whole life.

All of us at one time will have to deal with the loss of a loved one, it is part of life. But it is the family you leave behind that is your lifes legacy. My prayers are with his family in this rough time.

R.I.P Shawn

bink
July 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Very sad.
Thoughts and prayers for him and his family. God Bless.

JOHNBOY
July 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wow. My prayers go out to his family!

I have learned much from his postings. Huge blow to our community .
RIP

Wolfie
July 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Damn...

SOMhaveit
July 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Man O Man. Hard to believe.

rabidbandit
July 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
My Deepest condolences to his family, and on behalf of my fellow servicemen and women, you will never be forgotten. God Bless your family and may you always look over them.......very sad news:(

MSgt USAF 305thAMC/150th Spec Ops
Mcguire, AFB NJ

Chevy366
July 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Having had a Heat Attack and surviving I can say that life can change in a split second while exercising.Life is a fleeting thing, some are given a second chance and some not , those of us who were are deeply sadden by those we know who are not.

edwardzracing
July 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Deeply saddened by the news... my thoughts and prayers are with Shawn's family. Shawn was always quick to offer help and I loved joking with him about the shitty altitude we have to deal with. He'll be missed greatly. I'm sure we'll all have a new passenger each time we go for a cruise now, and I know for damn sure every time I turn the key, someone special will have my back. Thanks Shawn... your help will forever be appreciated, and your knowledge will live on forever.

macca33
July 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Bugger, very sad news and my deepest condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. bloke.

Frozen WS6
July 27th, 2011, 01:37 AM
R.i.p.
He was definately good at simplifing things for everyone to understand, and helped me alot. He will be missed.

WeathermanShawn
August 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hello Everyone. This is Kristen, Shawn's wife.

I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who commented here - I have read all the comments many times over and it means the world to me to hear so many kind words!

Thank you so much. Shawn will be missed by many!

I also just wanted to tell everyone how much he enjoyed this forum. We started our tuning project a number of years ago - by purchasing EFILive. (I say "we" and "our" because, in the beginning, I was much more involved in the tuning. As time went on, Shawn far out-learned me and I wasn't much help any longer. This was often the case with Shawn. <grin>) Shawn spent hours reading forum threads and asking questions in order to learn how the whole system worked. We would try something and see what happened; sometimes it worked and sometimes it sure didn't! :) Thousands of iterations later, I am left with a car that, thanks to so many of you, runs very well! In fact, the day that Shawn passed, we had taken the car up into the mountains because he wanted to see how his latest tune worked at higher elevations.

In any event, thank you all so much! Also, thank you so much to those who have contributed to Carra's education! You all should be receiving cards in the mail soon! :)

Take care everyone! I will check in from time to time; I am sure I will have questions on some tuning thing in the future. :)

..Kristen..

joecar
August 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Kristen,

Thanks, and you're quite welcome... :) ...this is the place to ask tuning questions :cheers:

I see you also have a Roadrunner PCM emulator :cheers:

joecar
August 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
Shawn and I had been working on honing these two thread:
A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table).
Calculating-MAF-Airflow-From-VE-Table..CALC-VET-In-Reverse (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16413-Calculating-MAF-Airflow-From-VE-Table..CALC-VET-In-Reverse)

The calc_pids.txt file in the second of those tutorials can also be used for the first, so we had been thinking of having just the one calc_pids.txt file.

ScarabEpic22
August 2nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hi Kristen, glad to have you on here!

As Joe said, this is THE place to ask questions. LOTS and LOTS of questions! :D

picnic_george
August 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
This was not want I wanted to read. RIP Shawn, you were one of the most helpful people on here. Thank you for that....

TBMSport
August 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Wow...I just happened to be reviewing his Calc.VE thread after a 3 week break from the site and was struck by his screen name's subtitle of RIP. This is indeed tragic. I didn't have the fortune of having a personal relationship with Shawn as the rest of you did. However, the fact that his latest tutorial was the only source of useful support on this forum that was directly addressing an ongoing problem I am struggling with on my projects made the news of his passing feel every bit as personal a loss as it could ever be. My prayers, condolences, and donations go out to his family and friends. R.I.P. Shawn

maudyZ28
August 10th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I'm greatly saddened to hear this, Shawn was always out to help anyone on here and I cannot thank him enough for the help he personally gave me and I give him the credit for my camaro running a good tune :D . My thoughts are with his family. RIP Shawn

Corday
August 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Although i have not written much on the forum i have been lurking around for quite some time and reading stuff. I had just started tuning my car this summer and was helped and encouraged by Shawn. After a few weeks when i returned, i noticed what had happened. Very tragic and sad indeed. It came as a horrible shock to say the least.. Its a strange thing with internet and how it connects people you would never have met otherwise.. I really admire people like Shawn who stay on forums just to help people by contributing their own wisdom and knowledge to complete strangers. That truly shows proof of a kind, warm and friendly soul.

My thoughts goes out to Shawn and his family.

You will be missed...

God bless

Steve Bryant
September 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I just read this news today. This is a sad tragedy for the family of a great guy! I have corresponded with Shawn on a number of occasions and he was always helpful, kind and courteous. I belatedly, express my sympathy to Kristen and all of Shawn's family. I will pray for God's grace and the healing of their many memories regarding the tragic loss of Shawn.

All my best,

Steve

ryans1000
September 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I just read this and its very sad. i read many of his postings and it was great for him to share his knowledge with us

ls1vt209
December 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Having taken a extended break from tuning and obviously this forum, it is very sad news to hear such a helpful and clearly loved person has passed.

The news even harder to take hearing Shawn left behind such a young daughter.

RIP Shawn

Boost
December 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
God is merciful and kind and loving. May His peace be with all who mourn Shawn. We are so thankful for his contributions. Blessings and condolences to family.

smslyguy
December 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I just read this as well and am very saddend by this. He has helped me out a great deal. He will be sadly missed. May shawn live on through this site..

shadowskill
October 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Oh, man, so much help from him, I barely believe this. Rest in peace, Shawn.

stigmundfreud
April 3rd, 2014, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the late post, but I've been away from the scene for a very long time and only just saw this. Shawn's work (along with a few other greats on here) really helped me during my days of LSx tuning and taught me so much. Its a real shame that coming back after 4 years to hear of this

MyM8V8
August 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM
I've been away from here for quite some time too and whilst not in the upper echelon of the tuning fraternity, I did read Shawn's posts with interest to try and improve my knowledge.

RIP, a sad loss. Hope his family are doing fine.

joecar
August 3rd, 2015, 03:42 AM
Thanks for all your kind words.