PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Sensors required on an E38 (BBC)

NateD4
July 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know how few sensors an E38 can be set to run?

I'd like to control an older big block chevy with converted fuel injection. I was thinking injectors, MAP sensor, throttle position, crank trigger and cam trigger. Does anyone now if that is enough sensors to run an engine from an E38?

Dieselman
July 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
You will need a IAT sensor. It is used to calculated the intake valve temp that a lot of the tables are based on.

Taz
July 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hello NateD4,

Unless an A6 transmission (6L80 / 6L90) is mandatory in your plans, I would recommend using an LS1-B style PCM. I enjoy working with Gen IIIs, just starting to do some Gen IV conversions - and the E38 can be unfriendly if all inputs are not mutually compatible. The OS, APP, and throttle body (DBW) must be compatible. There is no way to run a DBC throttle body with an E38.

Regards,
Taz

NateD4
July 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM
This will be for a hilborn manifold converted to EFI.

The best I can do sensor wise is

TPS
IAT
OAT
MAP
Cam position
Crank position
Oil press
Oil temp
Fuel pressure
And input from a T56

Can anyone suggest an ECM model other than an E38?

How hard would it be to recompile something for it?

Taz
July 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
I had suggested an LS1-B style PCM in post #3. You won't get an ECM (E38 / E67 / etc.) to work with your described setup - as it amounts to a DBC system.

Regards,
Taz

ScarabEpic22
July 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
I agree with Taz, if you want to run an old school cable throttle setup, then a 99-02 LS1B 512kb PCM is your best bet. The 99-02 512kb PCM leaves the Custom OS option open whereas the 03-07 LS1B 1MB PCM is more restriced for COS options (plus are all electronic throttle).

Ive seen a cable driven E38, think it was a GMPP ECM but I wouldnt recommend it when using a LS1B PCM is so much easier.

Taz
July 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hello Erik,

I think GMPP has a Gen IV controller that is both DBC and DBW compatible - but I believe these are Marine type or MEFI type controllers. Remember seeing these somewhere ...

Regards,
Taz

NateD4
July 21st, 2011, 06:19 AM
I'm not familiar with the LS1 ecms do you have any models and years? Or even GM part #s?

Taz
July 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
Now you have me interested ... many of the Forum members (including myself) would have learned "how to tune" on the LS1 / LS6 Gen III type controller (LS1-A and LS1-B in EFILive speak) - which seemed to be the starting point for the currently popular aftermarket software companies (i.e. EFILive, HPTuners, LS1 Edit).

The evolution to the Gen IV type controllers (E38 / E67 / E37 / E78/ etc.) has caused "growing pains" for the aftermarket software companies, and a very steep learning curve for previously "experienced" tuners.

If you have yet to venture into tuning, starting with a Gen IV controller will be a challenge.

Take a look at the thread below ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14200-PCM-Conversion-Information

The spreadsheets have Gen III PCM service numbers and OS listed.

Regards,
Taz

NateD4
July 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM
What's the difference between the E38 & E37 and E67 and E78?

Is there a listing for the Gen IVs?

I am getting ready to tune an E67 and one other as of yet undecided.

Maybe I'll have to buy an E67 and tear it down to see how it works.