PDA

View Full Version : How can I pass a readiness emissions test?

JUSTASBC
July 21st, 2011, 05:37 AM
I have an 05 Silverado COS3 with a magnacharger, long tube headers, high flow cat converters, and deleted rear O2's. I was running a semi OLSD tune, but have recently enabled my MAF to try anything to pass an emissions test. I live in NY, and they are not doing a sniffer test. They are hooking up to the OBDII, and checking there. I am not showing any codes, however I am not triggering to clear catalyst monitor, evap system monitor, or the oxygen sensor monitor. I have cleared the oxygen sensor heater monitor, but thats it. Any help would be appreciated. I have enclosed my tun for my inspection if that helps.

Taz
July 21st, 2011, 06:10 AM
Not sure about NY emissions requirements ... here we have the full spectrum - chassis dyno tailpipe test, visual inspection of components, EVAP leak test (limited to the gas cap).

You will definitely have a problem with the catalyst monitoring component - that is the function of the rear O2 sensors you deleted. You will need to install the rear O2 sensors and turn their diagnostic sub-routine back "on" - you currently have these set to not reported (given the absent sensors).

As long as you don't have an EVAP leak / issue these will show "ready" after enough error free drive cycles have been completed. FYI - every time you hook up a scanner and clear a DTC, or reflash the PCM the drive cycle counter will reset to zero - and you will again need to complete the multiple error free drive cycles to have the "readiness" tests completed.

Regards,
Taz

Gregs
July 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
This is something i'v never completely understood either because there are processing enablers and then the mil/no mill section. correct me if I'm wrong, so to pass without cats you would have to have the code set to like one trip-emissions but have the code set to no mill? Would that make the test complete and report all is well?

I've never heard anyone spell out exactly the process for tricking the system rediness tests

Taz
July 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
I am not suggesting that he "trick" anything. I am suggesting that he should put the vehicle back to the stock emissions configuration - four functioning O2 sensors, all EVAP equipment, and whatever else it was equipped with originally.

Once all of these systems are properly functional, and after sufficient drive cycles without any intervention (i.e. no use of a scanner to clear DTCs, no flash of the tune) nor DTCs occurring, the PCM should successfully complete the "readiness" tests, and these should be displayed as such.

From my perspective (full barrage of emissions tests required) a "readiness" only emissions test should be very straight forward, and easily achieved.

Regards,
Taz

joecar
July 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
+1 what Taz said.

Also, if you follow the drive cycle in the service manual you may be able to get the tests to go ready sooner.

Gregs
July 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
I understand that in the proper comfig the rediness test will take care of themselves, but I thought there were ways to pass the rediness tests even when the vehicle shouldnt per say pass them

joecar
July 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Clarification sent via pm.

n8dogg
July 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
NY allows 1 monitor to not be ready when it comes to the obd2 test. The only thing the test does is check to see if there are any monitors not ready. Making DTC's not reported has no effect on whether or not it will pass NYSI. As long as the monitors are set, then you will pass the obd2 part of the inspection.

JUSTASBC
July 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you to everyone that helped. I think I have it figured out, I have an inspection tomorrow.

Gregs
July 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Clarification sent via pm.

got it, thanks it makes sense now!

JUSTASBC
July 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
In case anyone was wondering, I was able to pass an inspection with the help I received. Thank you as I was pulling my hair out over this.

Jim_PA
September 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Could I receive the same help too, please?

C Murda
May 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM

im bringing this ancient old thread back in hopes some one can PM me with the info i need to know. im on the same boat with trying to get my emissions monitors to set to ready?

JUSTASBC
May 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
PM sent

hog
May 13th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Up here in Ontario Canada, we just went from the idle/chassis dyno sniffer testing to pure OBD2 port readiness testing. Needless to say, I am very happy.

peace
Hog

Brads_rs
July 25th, 2013, 04:02 AM

Help with rear o2 delete, readiness test for obd2 emissions test

JUSTASBC
July 25th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Help with rear o2 delete, readiness test for obd2 emissions test
PM sent.

ichpen
October 13th, 2013, 04:07 AM
JUSTASBC can I please please get one of your infamous PMs on the etest. Tried to PM you but this board seems to not like me today. Or if anyone else is able to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

JUSTASBC
October 13th, 2013, 04:32 AM
PM replied.

rcr1978
October 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Could I also get a pm on this to?
Thanks

joecar
October 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM
JUSTASBC can I please please get one of your infamous PMs on the etest. Tried to PM you but this board seems to not like me today. Or if anyone else is able to help me it would be greatly appreciated.You need 10 posts before pm's enable for you.

JUSTASBC
October 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I really dont do anything special. If for example you delete the rear oxygen sensors on your vehicle just set everything for bank 1 or 2 sensor 2 to not reported, and no mil. But before you do this remember to check all laws to make sure you are not violating anything. It will be completely up to you if you decided to disable something that is illegal.

ichpen
October 13th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I really dont do anything special. If for example you delete the rear oxygen sensors on your vehicle just set everything for bank 1 or 2 sensor 2 to not reported, and no mil. But before you do this remember to check all laws to make sure you are not violating anything. It will be completely up to you if you decided to disable something that is illegal.

Or in my case do the carpet bombing approach and set everything with O2 in it to not reported. Did the trick even though I was running perfectly functioning upstream O2 sensors. Go figure.

Got everything except for evap to report ok which is good enough here in Ontario.

rcr1978
October 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Well that's easy thanks for replying guys, I was wondering why it would even be a issue since they could be turned off in the software anyways but I never paid attention to to the readiness test so I was curious.