PDA

View Full Version : Help with EFI Live

Worstenemy453
July 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
I am looking into one of the Flashscan V.2s for my shop but i need help to understand this whole thing.

Let assume i have a Flashscan V.2 with 1 VIN license.

1) Is there anything i need to install in the vehicle for the flashscan to work ?
2) If im using someones tunes, is all i do is hook up the FS, upload the tunes to the ECM, and then remove the FS from the vehcile and all done ?
3) If im not planning on doing my own tuning but using someone elses tunes, do i need a FS V.2 ?
4) If im planning to use tunes for both Cummins and Duramax powered vehicles, is their a particular FS V.2 I need to buy ?

Thanks in advanced for the help = )

joecar
July 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
1. No. V2 connects to OBD2 port on vehicle.
2. Yes (V2 has black box flashing ability). But of course make sure the tune is right for the vehicle.
3. Yes you need a V2 for flashing your PCM/ECM, unless someone else flashes it for you.
4. You need both the GM and Cummins hardware options for reading and flashing.

ScarabEpic22
July 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
That said, if ALL you are doing is flashing tunes from a tuner then perhaps an AutoCal unit might work for you as well. Cheaper than a FlashScan V2 but you cant do your own tuning.

Worstenemy453
July 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
I might step up to my own tuning later but at this point i dont have the knowledge and our shop doesnt have the capitol for a FS V.2.

If an Autocal would be good for me then i will look into it.

Joecar, you say for #3 that i cant use an autocal to upload a custom tune from someone else ? Ill most likely be using Underground diesel for duramax and innovative diesel for cummins.

joecar
July 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Worstenemy453, #3 I'm not sure... someone else would have to have the ability to write/icense to your specific Autocal...

Erik, what do you think...?

Worstenemy453
July 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Worstenemy453, #3 I'm not sure... someone else would have to have the ability to write/icense to your specific Autocal...

Erik, what do you think...?

I think i could only do up to 6 different vehicles with the autocal if i was uploading other people's tunes with it too. so id need a new one every 6 vehicles right ?

ScarabEpic22
July 25th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I think i could only do up to 6 different vehicles with the autocal if i was uploading other people's tunes with it too. so id need a new one every 6 vehicles right ?

I thought ACs had room for 8 licenses, might be wrong though as I only have 3 on mine.

And as Joe said, whatever tuner you're working with would have to explicitly save a tune file for you to flash with the correct VIN, OS, etc for each truck you want to flash. If you plan on doing a few trucks then no big deal, but for a bunch its going to be a constant back and forth with your tuner.