PDA

View Full Version : E85 Compatible Compact Injectors

NateD4
July 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know where to get E85 compatible injectors for a 'compact' packaging foot print? I'm looking for 40-60 lbs/hour for the 3900 LZG V6 Turbo build I'm working on. So far I've only found Trick Flow to offer injectors marketed for E85. Doe anyone know who makes the stock GM ones used on this engine (2008 Impala) ; and whether they sell up rated ones? Then again how far can I stretch these?

Again thank you for the help in advance!!

samgm2
July 25th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Your injectors are already compatible with E-85. There is no difference. Same part numbers are used between flex fuel and non flex fuel vehicles.

Does anyone know where to get E85 compatible injectors for a 'compact' packaging foot print? I'm looking for 40-60 lbs/hour for the 3900 LZG V6 Turbo build I'm working on. So far I've only found Trick Flow to offer injectors marketed for E85. Doe anyone know who makes the stock GM ones used on this engine (2008 Impala) ; and whether they sell up rated ones? Then again how far can I stretch these?

Again thank you for the help in advance!!

NateD4
July 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM
How many pounds/hr are they?

I'm trying to determine if they will support the HP I'm looking at making.

samgm2
July 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM
The flow rate through the injection in terms of pounds per hour will remain the same. It is a function of pressure and mass. There will be a slight drop in the volumetric flow rate of E-85 because E-85 is more dense then gasoline.

Do you have a part number for the injectors?

NateD4
July 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I understand that. My concern is that my fuel requirements will exceed the stock injectors which would require new injectors of a higher flow rate.

Otherwise I have to get a flow bs pressure curve and run them on higher pressure and duty cycle.

wayneosan
August 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
www.injectordynamics.com

They have all the proper data for the GM pcms as well. Call Tony at T1 for specific info on your application. Great for guys making kits that need repeatable tunes.

samgm2
August 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Nate, your concern is valid, but in my experience I have never needed to upgrade injectors in a stock application. Usually, there is PLENTY of headroom.

Try it and just look and monitor your injector duty cycle. Anything below 80% doesn't bother me. I've never even come close to that after retuning for E-85 with a stock application. I've also never had an injector failure either with E-85, E-100, or M-100 (methanol).

I understand that. My concern is that my fuel requirements will exceed the stock injectors which would require new injectors of a higher flow rate.

Otherwise I have to get a flow bs pressure curve and run them on higher pressure and duty cycle.

wayneosan
August 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Look. You're not going to get a proper tune using stock injectors modding your platform and switching to E85. Do what you want but before listening to advice like that, contact a professional regarding injectors.

Nate, your concern is valid, but in my experience I have never needed to upgrade injectors in a stock application. Usually, there is PLENTY of headroom.

Try it and just look and monitor your injector duty cycle. Anything below 80% doesn't bother me. I've never even come close to that after retuning for E-85 with a stock application. I've also never had an injector failure either with E-85, E-100, or M-100 (methanol).

samgm2
August 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
It's always easier to spend someone else's money, isn't it. :-)

...and just what constitutes a professional here?

He obviously has access to an EFILive tuner. He just needs to watch his injector duty cycle as he slowly steps on the gas under load. If the duty cycle remains less than 80% he is fine and saves a bunch of money on injectors. If it creeps beyond, he stops and goes out and buys new ones.

I converted a stock Cobalt from gasoline to methanol (arguably needing twice as much fuel) and still didn't need new injectors - SAME FUEL PRESSURE.

Look. You're not going to get a proper tune using stock injectors modding your platform and switching to E85. Do what you want but before listening to advice like that, contact a professional regarding injectors.

wayneosan
August 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I guess it is isn't it. (hard to spend someone else's money) I forget sometimes. I'm a cheap ass as well on my projects. I just know where to spend money and when it's important. I read his first post and it says he's working on a turbo "build" project, and I just assume he's going from stock na to turbo. I try to stay off forums usually. You've got the right idea, log it, if it needs it, then do research on injectors.

As far as a professional, hmm, I work with a few. ;) I only know of one company that lists the proper injector data that works. That's all I was saying.
By definition, that is a DAMN good question. What makes a professional in this industry? Wins? Broken Records? Experience? Certifications? Sheer amount of re-calibrations performed? Another reason I usually keep my non-professional ass off of forums.

By contacting a professional and using a proper "hp" calc method, you can find out what injectors you'll need to run size wise. NO, just because someone has EFI live doesn't make them a professional. These are just my opinions however and should be taken with a grain of salt. lOl.

Nate D4; so, tell us more!!

Impala; adding or upgrading a turbo? Built motor with Rods and Pistons, etc.? What IS your HP goal BTW?