PDA

View Full Version : P0633 skim key

BSwope
July 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Has anyone had this code skim key not programmed in pcm, I had this code come up the other day so I cleared it and it popped back up again. Truck runs fine but the code came back. This was with the stock tune in also. I leave this Sunday for vacation and just wanna be sure this won't cause any problems on my trip.

Thanks guys,
Buddy

bean
July 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
MIne comes up with that everynow and then depending on what tune I load. There is an option to enable/disable it in EFI.

BSwope
July 27th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the reply, could you tell me where the option is to disable it?

GMPX
July 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
The SKIM key is related to the VIN, if the VIN is a match to the vehicle then the code should not be present, if you have flashed a tune from another truck the DTC will get set. Or if the tune you have has the theft disabled.

DoghouseDiesel
July 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
The invalid SKM Key shows up with a lot of modules, especially the ones that have turbo timer functions.

It's no big deal, usually doesn't light the MIL, it'll just be there as a soft code and doesn't effect anything.

LReiff
August 5th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Here's something I've noticed, with the VATS disabled. The first time you start the truck after a flash you must cycle the key on-off-on-start, otherwise the engine will shut off.

GMPX
August 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
It's strange that when the ECM is in a RAM truck it doesn't like the VATS turned off, yet this would be something 'normal' if you were doing an engine swap in to another vehicle.

LReiff
August 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
With VATS disabled the security light on the dash will sometimes blink and other times stay off. I'm trying to get it nailed down to a pattern but it's taking time because every time I do a reflash it seems to change it's game.

EDIT: Here goes... After performing a reflash with VATS disabled, wait for count down to complete, switch key on until the VATS light on the IC goes out, turn key off. At this point the truck should start and run without the VATS light continuously flashing.

chrleb2
October 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
It's strange that when the ECM is in a RAM truck it doesn't like the VATS turned off, yet this would be something 'normal' if you were doing an engine swap in to another vehicle.

I tried to flash my dad's 06 since he lost his key. He had a non-security key so i could turn it on. I flashed the truck with the security off, but it still acts like it is on.

2007 5.9
October 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Erick,

as far as I know the SKIM key has nothing to do with the actual key itself. It more has to do with the ECM and TIPM having the same VIN. When you flash a file from another OS in the VIN in the ECM changes but the TIPM is left alone..try to start it and the TIPM see's a VIN mismatch and kills the start. Make the ECM VIN match the TIPM VIN then all is good.

I'd try to flash the file in with the correct vehicle VIN (located on the door) with the security re-enabled and see if that works.

If not..then I must be off...

~Les

2006Cummins
October 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I've got that annoying code also - ever since I flashed my ecm the first time with efilive. My VIN is correct, and the truck starts and runs fine, it just wont go away. I'd like to get rid of it.

Mike

chrleb2
October 18th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Erick,

as far as I know the SKIM key has nothing to do with the actual key itself. It more has to do with the ECM and TIPM having the same VIN. When you flash a file from another OS in the VIN in the ECM changes but the TIPM is left alone..try to start it and the TIPM see's a VIN mismatch and kills the start. Make the ECM VIN match the TIPM VIN then all is good.

I'd try to flash the file in with the correct vehicle VIN (located on the door) with the security re-enabled and see if that works.

If not..then I must be off...

~Les

I didn't change any OS in it. I just read the stock tune in his truck, shut off the security and flashed it back in. The tune shows the correct VIN and when I read it with the Scan tool, it shows the correct VIN also. It's really odd.

easymon
October 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I had that skim code when truck was new. What i was told later down the road was that after reflash it will come up but genaly after awhile with out being flashed will be able to clear it and it will not come back. was always to dont worry about it .

LReiff
October 24th, 2011, 02:23 AM
We just replaced the TIPM (totally integrated power module - or put simply the fuse box) on a 2006 truck last week! The truck has had this code for quite awhile along with other issues. The 2006 truck have a very ignorantly designed TIPM...ever notice there are no relays in the fuse box? The TIPM is the gateway for all can-bus communication, once it fail the truck may not start, doors may not unlock remotely, the radio may not function, lights may stay illuminated even with the switch off...you get the idea, very stupid! I'm not 100% sure but I think it's only a 2006 issue.

GMPX
October 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
You shouldn't shut off the security on a real truck, it will cause problems, that option is only for engine swaps.