PDA

View Full Version : Strapping the truck (and the Chevelle) back down tomorrow.

DoghouseDiesel
July 28th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Finally have some time to put the truck back on the rollers tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.

Also gotta strap the Chevelle back down now that we have the boost issues worked out of it. That should be doing approx 1000 on pump gas at 15 psi and 1200 - 1400 on 116 at 24 - 26 psi.

For those that haven't seen our other baby......it's a '70 Chevelle with a 496 BBC stuffed by a Garrett 4718 turning a 'glide.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Dohouse%20Diesel%20Pics/Sterling%20Fab/Slide1-9.jpg

olboyowl
July 28th, 2011, 02:46 AM
pictures dont do this thing justice. its a beast. good luck tomorrow.

DoghouseDiesel
July 28th, 2011, 03:36 AM
If there is a tune or a table that anyone wants to see runs on, let me know and I'll load it up and run it.

If the tune looks all kinds of goofy, I'm not even going to bother, but if you have one that you want to see the logs on, let me know and I can run it.

I don't have anything else scheduled for tomorrow, so we've got all day to play.

I won't share your tune with anyone and only you will get the logs.

Just for reference purposes, my truck is a 64 over 80, dual pumps, 160 hp (37 lph) nozzles, 188/220 cam, 110# springs.

Once the fuel tune is dialed in, I'll toss the nitrous to it.

FUBAR
July 28th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I'm really curious about the difference between old tables and new (or additional for lack of better terms) limiting tables.

DoghouseDiesel
July 28th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'm going to try both.

I've got one file with the old tables and one with the new that I'll use as base lines before I do any other changes.

Once I see that the new tables are fueling all the way through, I'll make all the adjustments there.

Normally, with just stock tuning and running on hardware only, the truck does about 506 - 520 hp. Even a light tune normally bumps it right into the 700's.

We're going to do the Chevelle first, as that will take a while, so I'll probably start posting some results on the truck after lunch.

DoghouseDiesel
July 29th, 2011, 06:54 AM
The truck went 817 hp / 1551 tq.

Fueling is not a problem...it went strong to 4000 RPM.

MQ105
July 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Rich, if you've tried it, how does that tune run on the street?

DoghouseDiesel
July 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
It runs fine on the street. Same tune I've been running, just had to dial in the timing and duration on the top end.

DoghouseDiesel
July 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Here's the dyno sheet and the data log from the last pull today.

This took me half the time to tune the truck as it used to being able to look at the logs, compare it to the charts and make adjustments.

This only took 10 pulls to get this dialed in. Only reason it took that long was I was being conservative and coming up on the timing 3* at a pop.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Truck Pictures/BOMBr29JulyEFILive.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Truck Pictures/DynoDataLog.jpg

MQ105
July 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Rich, it's hard to tell precisely from the graph capture, but it looks like the cmd fuel begins to drop off around 2900 rpm. Is that what's happening?

DoghouseDiesel
July 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Initially, it pulled it WAY down. As I brought in more duration, it stopped cutting the fuel so much.

First pull, it brought the commanded down into the 70's. As I brought the duration in, it only dropped to the 120's. It was pushing plenty of fuel, I had fuel to spare.

There are a couple areas in the tables that needed to be tweaked to keep the fuel from dropping, but you could see it in the logs, epsecially when comparing it to portions of the dyno graph.

The fuel is there, you just can't expect it to smack ya and say, "Here I am".

I've said to a lot of folks with other tuners.....DON'T TUNE ON THE STREET! You'll just piss yourself off and end up with a mediocre tune.

DoghouseDiesel
July 30th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Here's a few clips looking back at the exhaust on the first few pulls.

The very first one was with the original tables; you could see it taper off real fast.

The second two were the first pulls on the new tables. These were only in the mid 600 range.

You'll see it pull back fuel in the top end until we started teaking th new tables and bringing in some duration.

Tuning Pulls (http://youtu.be/vlAPbGb61kA)

DoghouseDiesel
July 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM
For everyone else that's just a plain horsepower junkie, heres the Chevelle on the rollers.

We pulled it off after this as the intercooler is presenting a HUGE restriction. On the inlet side we were pushing 30 psi, but only 12 psi was making it across to the outlet side. That's a pressure drop of 18 psi when it should be 1 - 1.5 MAX.

So, we'll either need to get another intercooler made than can handle the CFM flow or we'll run a straight pipe across and use a meth kit to cool it.

This pull was approx 745 hp with 12 psi making it to the engine.

Chevelle on the roller (http://youtu.be/Alm90fjpDBs)

FUBAR
July 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Your making great strides Rich!

olboyowl
July 31st, 2011, 12:16 AM
very nice

pepperidge
August 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
I take it you are liking the EFI live then Rich? :hihi:

DoghouseDiesel
August 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I take it you are liking the EFI live then Rich? :hihi:

Oh yeah!

All this week has been working on the driveability and I now have it giving great response and almost no smoke during daily driving unless I really get down on it.