PDA

View Full Version : beginner question

redls1bird
January 9th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hey guys, ive been spending day and night on this sight trying to soak up some good old fashioned knowledge from you experienced guys. sofar ive picked up quite a bit, but i am sometimes confused by the abbreviations used here. is there a place i can look them up? if not id be willing to try and compile one if a mod is interested in making it a sticky somewhere. just a thought. also, ive been under the impression that a maf system is better than a speed density type since it is actively adapting to changes in incoming air. after reading this forum i see that alot of you guys are going to speed density, even on n/a applications. can someone point me to a post or give me some insight to why this is the way to go? thanks in advance.

ringram
January 9th, 2006, 03:18 AM
The maf vs SD argument is still going well. A search on ls1.com.au or ls1tech will bring up loads of threads on the argument.
FWIW my understanding at present is that SD is more responsive to throttle and of course doesnt restrict airflow. MAF measures airflow and compensates for mods easier and can result in better economy. SD needs a retune for each change that might affect VE.
Well closed loop kind of patches SD up, but thats the general gist from my understanding.

I chose SD for max power and response, plus its stage one in tuning as its used to dial in VE. ( I reflash the PCM pretty much every time I get in the car )

If I wanted a tune and forget arrangement Id probably go Maf tune. (tune then never flash again)

bink
January 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, ive been spending day and night on this sight trying to soak up some good old fashioned knowledge from you experienced guys. sofar ive picked up quite a bit, but i am sometimes confused by the abbreviations used here. is there a place i can look them up?

Here are some abbreviations/acronyms ->

http://www.efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread.php?t=156&page=2

Cheers,
joel

BowlingSS
January 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM
( I reflash the PCM pretty much every time I get in the car )

And I thought I was the only one that does that. :banana:

Bill:exactly:

dc_justin
January 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
And I thought I was the only one that does that. :banana:

Bill:exactly:

I've re-flashed my truck at least 120 times now. Is there any other way to drive? :rockon: