PDA

View Full Version : is it worth paying to upgrade v1 to v2 just for serial wideband input?

ryans1000
August 13th, 2011, 03:09 AM
is it worth paying to upgrade v1 to v2 just for serial wideband input? I currently own v1 already and I am happy with it, but no serial wideband input

mr.prick
August 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
There are other features that make the upgrade "worth it".

There was an End of Life (EOL) Notice on the V1 but that may have been canceled or extended.

Tordne
August 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
The FlashScan V1 products are EOL now. They haven't been available for sale for quite some months now.

Benefits of the V2 are:
- You get an extra couple of VINS so the actual cost is really low.
- Serial wideband support.
- All the stand alone capabilities of the FlashScan v2 device.
- Supported in the V8 software.

ChipsByAl
August 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Not needing to lug a laptop all the time for reading and writing, serial input is icing on the cake!
Al

joecar
August 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Ryan,

- how often do you log (V1 can do BBL, but you can't view data while BBL'ing since it has no LCD)...?
- how often do you flash...?
- do you have any problems at the moment with the analog wideband connection...?

ryans1000
August 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Ryan,

- how often do you log (V1 can do BBL, but you can't view data while BBL'ing since it has no LCD)...?
- how often do you flash...?
- do you have any problems at the moment with the analog wideband connection...?

If I want to view data, id just prefer use the laptop because the screen is so much bigger and allows me to look at data quicker and keep my eyes on the road.

I flash quite a bit because I'm always changing my car's setup. Is v2 quicker at flashing?

My aem wideband has some lean spikes that i can't explain so I'm going to throw an innovate in there along with the aem to verify.

I guess my real question was is the serial connection that much better then analog?????

joecar
August 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
V2 takes same amount of time to flash an LS1 PCM as does the V7 tunetool.

The advantage of V2 is you can flash and log without needing the laptop in the car... however, V2 is still undergoing development so you will be updating firmware every few weeks ( for some people this is a bit tedious... but for others (me) this is to live for :) )

The serial connection avoids ground offset problems, this is handy if you're being plagued by these.

ryans1000
August 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
so am I going to run into any issues with v1 being EOL ?? Or any issues selling it? I believe it came with two pcm's licenses and I've only used one. So i was thining about selling it along with the one unused license.

Tordne
August 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
so am I going to run into any issues with v1 being EOL ?? Or any issues selling it? I believe it came with two pcm's licenses and I've only used one. So i was thining about selling it along with the one unused license.

When upgrading to FlashScan V2 you need to be aware of a couple of things, which are important considerations if anticipating selling the device:
1) The new owner of the FlashScan V1 is not able to upgrade themselves to FlashScan V2. The discounted offer is available only once per FlashScan V1, and you will have used that right for your upgrade.
2) No further PCM licenses will be issued to the FlashScan v1 device. So if you want to sell the FlashScan V1 it will need to have at east 1 available PCM licenses on the device. During the upgrade (license copy/move) from FlashScan V1 -> V2 you will not be able to move unused licenses, as that would leave 0 on the V1.

You need to notify the potential owner of both these constraints if they are considering purchasing your FlashScan V1 device.

The FlashScan V1 -> V2 upgrade product can be purchased from EFILive direct (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=56&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54), or some resellers (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=156&Itemid=155) may also have stock.

Cheers,

ryans1000
August 15th, 2011, 05:39 AM
ok, so after the upgrade, my v1 will still have its one extra license right. And also the v1 would always be good for unlimited 97/98 ls1 tunes right?

Tordne
August 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Provided you don't move licenses to the new V2 (only copy used licenses) then there will be the same number of Available PCM licenses as there are now. The device will also still be able to tune unlimited 1997/1998 Corvette and Camaro vehicles.