PDA

View Full Version : Clutch fan removal way to disable ses light?

s10mods
August 17th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Is there a way to remove the clutch fan and not have it throw codes? My dad has an 03 Bravada and it has went through 2 of the really expensive clutches, he dont care about performance, just wants it to run with out a check engine light or a REP light. I removed the electric clutch fan and replaced it with a standard clutch and fan from a 2500 HD truck. theres no more REP light, but a SES light for the fan. is ther a way to just turn it off so he can keep running the $25 bone yard fan and not pay out the rear for a 3rd clutch? I read something about a patched file, I am not sure if just disabling the codes will work or not.

ScarabEpic22
August 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yes, you can remove it. Open the tune file and go to the System area. Under platform options there is an Electric Fan cell, believe its a yes/no or enabled/disabled. Change it to disabled/no and flash. You'll have a few DTCs to kill, go ahead and do those. Honestly not sure if using the standard fan clutch setup is the right way to do it, but it might work.

s10mods
August 17th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I will try that tonight, I already put the standard fan on and it cools it just fine, I am not sure I want to go through the trouble of adding E fans.

ScarabEpic22
August 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I know, that Electric Fans parameter is a little deceiving. It doesnt add the ability to control efans, just disables the PCMs fan clutch check routine. I can honestly say Ive never heard of a fullsize fan clutch being fitted to a TrailBlazer, and Ive researched a lot about them over the last 6 years. Enabling that param should kill the light, I think you have a P1481 right now?

s10mods
August 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have a P1481 code adn thers not a spot to disable it. I have the electric fan option set to disable. it was already set that way

ScarabEpic22
August 30th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I have a P1481 code adn thers not a spot to disable it. I have the electric fan option set to disable. it was already set that way

You need to ENABLE it.
With efans = ENABLE
Without efans = DISABLED

Theres no DTC code for that, enabling the electric fan option will bypass the diagnostic routine and therefore not throw the code.

jellybean
April 22nd, 2013, 07:00 AM
I have this same problem:

I enabled the Efan option
I disabled all MIL reporting for anything to do with the cooling fan.
I set all the fan controls to 0

I am still getting the P1481 error code. Either there is a table I am missing or is there something else I need to do?
The truck is a 2003 trailblazer.

joecar
April 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
Set the fan turn-on control to max temp (i.e. so fan is never commanded on).

jellybean
April 22nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'll try that tonight

Thanks!

jellybean
April 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
I turned both the low and high speed engagement temps to the maximum allowed. The P1481 error code came back in about 5 seconds or so.

It seems as thought the ECU is looking for the fan, not seeing it, and throwing the code.

When I previously said I set the fan controls to 0, I meant that I set the four Fan Command % tables to 0.

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
What OS? Unfortunately some P10 OSs dont work like they should in EFILive, either have to upgrade the OS or use HPTuners to do it.

Post your file as well, are you only getting the P1481 code?

jellybean
April 23rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty new at this so pardon my inexperience. How do I tell what OS I have?

The only code I've seen is the P1481.

In addition to removing the fan, I also tried to resolve a surging issue with the torque converter. My first attempt at tuning is attached.

ScarabEpic22
April 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
To find your OS, open the tune file. It will be listed in the first window that appears, yours is 12588012.

Why did you turn VATS off? Unless this is a transplant, messing with those values will cause some weird issues.

I have made a few changes (compare this one to the one you uploaded to see them), try this out. If it doesnt kill the P1481 try adjusting G1021 to like 8 volts, different OSs treat this value differently.

Once you get more comfortable with the software, if you have a V2 use Scan & Tune V8 to flash. Takes much less time and the routines are more robust, Ive had some issues programming P10s with V7.5 but none using V8. However, if you have a FlashScan V1 you have to use V7.5.

jellybean
April 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the help!

I turned VATs off just to see if it made a difference. It didn't make any difference.

I've been using scan and tune V8 to load onto the PCM. When I first tried V7.5 it would down load the PCM but wouldn't load back to it. It took me a little time to figure out to use the V8 version to get it to work.

I loaded the new program and the error code (P1481) still came up. I then changed G1021 to 8v and the error code still came up. To get the code, I start and run the engine for about 10s. I shut it off, restart, and run for another 5s or so before the MIL turns on with the code.

Thanks