PDA

View Full Version : Ls1 bank 1 rich

34LS1
August 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I have a 2002 Camaro LS1 in a 34 Ford that started running rough and it turns out Bank 1 is bleching black smoke and fouling the plugs, I changed the O2 sensor, injectors and coils I even swapped the O2 wires from one side to the other. I used start when the engine got warm now it sounds like a John Deere as soon as it goes into CL. I have recorded data if anyone is willing to look and let me know what I need to look at, I also reflashed the PCM with the last good Tune. Thanks

joecar
August 17th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Post your log file...

Look at the LTFT's.

If you have an air leak on bank 1 (e.g. intake manifold port leak, exhaust header leak), then the O2 reports lean and the PCM adds fuel.

34LS1
August 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I sprayed Ether down both sides of the intake and there is no evidence that the header is leaking, Bank 2 did have a blown collector gasket that I fixed when this first happen. I cannot seem to get the MAP to display on the dashboard I see MAP reading on the data when I monotor or play back recorded data. I have compared recent readings to some I made back in 2007 and most are the same except Bank 1 O2 readings and Bank 1 learn goes to 25% in about 20 minutes and stays there.

34LS1
August 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Here is the log file and thanks in advance for the help.

joecar
August 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'll look at your file later tonite or early tomorrow.

joecar
August 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Bank 1 LTFT is pegged at 25% indicating that the O2 is seeing an airleak, most likely at the exhaust header (either at the head, or at the collector) since you ruled out the intake manifold.

The other possibility is one or more clogged injectors on bank 1.

34LS1
August 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I did check the collector gasket on bank 1 and the header gasket I am not finding any leaks. I had put a freshly cleaned set of injectors in a couple months ago when this started I reinstalled the ones I had been running since 2007 it didn't change anything. Can you tell if the MAP is working I cannot make it work on the dashboard for some reason, I have to say the only thing I have done to the tune since Jesse Bubb set it up is change the speedometer setting the reason is I am lost with all the setting and info the car has alwasy run rich but now bank 1 is working overtime!

34LS1
August 20th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I have tried everything I know and didn't know I am still stumped when it started misfiring on Bank 1 it had to be warmed up in fact I ran it about 20 miles before it started misfiring now it seem to do it within minutes. Can something in the computer itself cause this or is it one of the sensors that for some reason is not getting reported via the trouble light?

mr.prick
August 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
With the problem existing only in CL and no leaks, I'd say Bank1 O2 is bad.

34LS1
August 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I installed a new O2 with no joy, swapped injectors, new coils (I thought because of the warm up problem it was coil related) swapped the O2 wires from one side to the other and Bank 1 still showed rich!

34LS1
August 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM
I tried to do a crank relearn today and it would not let me, I reflashed the computer thinking it would ask me if I wanted to but it did not, know any reason why EFILIVE will not let me do it?

34LS1
August 21st, 2011, 05:05 AM
Another thing when I reset the LTFT Bank 1 goes from 0.0% to 25% in about 3 minutes, I unplugged the O2 sensor on the drivers side and it shows .444 with it connected it is usually between .000 and .100 while the other is up around .800-.900.

Ira
August 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
swapped the O2 wires from one side to the other and Bank 1 still showed rich!

If you switch the O2 wires side to side but not the O2 sensors and the problem switches sides, it's either a bad or shorted wire or somehow you messed up the tune. Since I don't think it's possible to mess up the tune that way, I'd be looking really hard for a bad or shorted wire in the harness.

Ira

34LS1
August 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
I pulled the harness far enough out to read the Bank 1 wires to the blue PCM connector they all checked good, I had read 12V on the pink and I have to assume the black is a ground as it ohm'ed out on several pins the tan/wht and ppl/wht both checked good for continuity. Could it be a problem with the PCM itself can anyone check it while I have the PCM out of the car I am at a loss what to look at next the car has run fine for the last 4 years and the harness is well protected, any ideas?

joecar
August 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
This started happening recently after 4 years...?

Your log file shows HO2S11 hovering around 190mV...

this indicates any of:
- airleak on bank 1,
- lack of fuel on bank 1,
- O2 signal is being interfered with.

You have eliminated the first and third options, so you may have an injector problem on bank 1.

You log file also shows LTFT2 removing fuel, indicating possibly leaky injectors on bank 2.

34LS1
August 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Yes I have run the car for 4 years and one day it started misfiring on Bank 1 and black smoke and unspent fuel. I ran EFILIVE scan tool and it showed cylinder 1 misfired way more than the others so I suspected a coil problem and replaced all 8 coils with new ones it also had a blown collector gasket on Bank 2 that I replaced. I cleared codes and ran the car about 20 miles and it started misfiring again so I swapped the orignal injectors back in the car (I had put a set of cleaned/flowchecked one in a couple months ago) no change. I bought a new O2 sensor and installed it on bank 1 no change so I reflashed the PCM, swapped O2 wires from one side to the other and Bank 1 contniues running so rich the plugs and tailpipe are all black and the misfire is still there. I now have the computer out and the harness partly removed (not an easy thing on this car) and would like to know if the computer could cause it. It does run much better with the Bank 1 O2 unplugged but I knwo I can't run like that I drive it on the road not just at the track.

joecar
August 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Try doing a full flash (i.e. calibrations plus OS) to the PCM.

The PCM may have failed and may be causing this problem... see if you can try a spare PCM.

Do you get any DTC's...?

But also check the injector circuits.

And also check all PCM and engine ground connections.

34LS1
September 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Well after reading out all the wires and still no change I took the computer out and when I turned the box upside down water ran out of the box. I made the box and it was mounted on the firewall I had put RTV around the top but somehow water had made it in the result was there is rust on the two strips that the screws that are in the middle of the box so I bought a replacement computer and flashed it the car runs better than ever. Thanks for the advise and your time helping out a fellow car nut.
Phil

joecar
September 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Thanks for posting back :cheers: