PDA

View Full Version : 6.7L ECM & TCM Reading

GMPX
August 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi All,

In the latest update just posted we have enabled the option to read the 6.7L ECM & TCM.
See here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16989-Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011

It is very important if you are going to attempt to read a 6.7L you have to use that software and firmware above, anything older will not work.

A little word of warning. The 6.7L ECM does not play well when it comes to being read, in testing we found the only way to successfully read the ECM was using a very slow process, you are looking at around 28 minutes just to read the ECM. I want to stress this is not something EFILive has any control of, it's the best we can do with what Cummins provided. It's very annoying it's so slow considering we can read some of GM's new ECM's in just over 2 minutes and we are reading almost double the amount of data as the 6.7L ECM :frown:
The TCM is not as bad, If I recall that was around 8 minutes for a read.

If you do manage to get some reads then please Email the files to - support@efilive.com with a few details on the truck.
Please note, this does not mean we are on the verge of releasing tuning support, we first need to gather as many 6.7L files as possible. We also request that you do not send in any tunes from hand held tuners. When we are mapping new ECM's it's always preferable to use stock files.

Thanks,
Ross

Duramax 6.6L
August 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the update to the 6.7.

Motorzane
August 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It also takes a long time to flash a stock file into the ECM through a J2534 device.

Who do you want the stock reads sent to? I have a lot of customers with the 6.7L.

GMPX
August 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
It also takes a long time to flash a stock file into the ECM through a J2534 device.
I wasn't going to break that news yet :)
I don't remember the exact times but it is faster than reading them.

Who do you want the stock reads sent to? I have a lot of customers with the 6.7L.
support@efilive.com with a few details on the truck.

Thanks,

Motorzane
August 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=GMPX;153226]I wasn't going to break that news yet :)
I don't remember the exact times but it is faster than reading them.

Sorry, I work on a bunch of Dodge trucks and I was amazed of how long it took to flash the 6.7L. It's about 20 min. I never counted, I start the flash and move on to something else. I'm glad I have a flash program setting on my charger.

Would you like the trans file sent as well as the engine file?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.497535,-96.902658

GMPX
August 19th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Yes please on the trans file. No guarantee we are going to get the TCM supported any time this year, but at least if we have a selection of files we can assess the situation better.
On the flash times being 20 mins on the 6.7L, Cummins really implemented a pretty poor method of reprogramming the ECM. Unfortunately everyone (including Dodge dealers) is stuck with this snails pace flash system it uses. Technically there is no need for it to be so slow, the GM ECM's using the same CPU as the 6.7L ECM can be reprogrammed in about 2 minutes, in about 25 seconds if it's just a calibration update.
Trust me, if there was a way we could fix the slowness we would, but the way the Cummins ECM is designed it's not possible to change how the factory implemented reading or writing the ECM. Still, it's better than nothing isn't it (ask any LML owner).

Meshanic
August 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Are 2010 and 2011 6.7s included? I have several 2011s in the fleet I manage that we haven't deleted yet that I could throw at ya.

GMPX
August 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I don't think it will work. At some point (I think it may have been 2010) Cummins moved to yet another ECM type, I'm not sure how different that ECM is to the original 6.7L ECM as far as reading & flashing them. Physically there are certainly different.

2007 5.9
August 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM
Ross,

On your stated flashing times...the aftermarket box tuners are able to flash a 6.7 just as fast as a 5.9...approx 5min.

Just a heads up for you...

~Les

GMPX
August 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
That makes sense Les, J2534 devices tend to do things by the book so they probably aren't flashing as fast as is actually possible.

06redram
August 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Handle programers are more than likely only flashing rail pressure and timing only. That's like 2 tables compared to more tables that only can handle far as breaking the code to open other tables. Got big love for EFI for opening the doors for cummins

2007 5.9
August 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ross, is it possible to Cal-Flash a 6.7 or is a Full-Flash the only option with the Cummins ECM??

~Les

GMPX
August 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
The 'cal' flash and 'full' flash idea is really a GM applicable term. With GM controllers we have full control over how much of the ECM can be reprogrammed, with GM the flash process is entirely controlled by the programmer, not the ECM so we can do as we like. This isn't the case with Cummins, it's the opposite, the flash process is entirely handled internally by the ECM. So once a flash is initiated the ECM always expects a full write is going to happen (eg, the dealer updating) therefore prepares itself to be full flashed. From a factory perspective they never considered only needing to flash smaller portions of the ECM (i.e, just the calibration tables). The annoying part is the internal ECM flash method designed by Chrysler / Dodge has partial flash capability, but Cummins chose not to implement that :bad:
I am told FORD use a similar thing with their ECM's, so it seems GM is the odd one out, but for the better.

Powder_Keg
August 31st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ross,

On your stated flashing times...the aftermarket box tuners are able to flash a 6.7 just as fast as a 5.9...approx 5min.

Just a heads up for you...

~Les

My tuner from the current top 2 (you should be able to guess) takes atleast 20 min to flash. So I'm curious to know what tuner your using that can flash the ECM that quickly??? Or do you mean a fooler box which does not flash anything but just intercepts the data

-Powder Keg

2007 5.9
August 31st, 2011, 03:10 PM
My tuner from the current top 2 (you should be able to guess) takes atleast 20 min to flash. So I'm curious to know what tuner your using that can flash the ECM that quickly??? Or do you mean a fooler box which does not flash anything but just intercepts the data

-Powder Keg

6-speed.
Smarty flash in 5-6min.

~Les

AFTERMATH DIESEL
August 31st, 2011, 03:28 PM
6-speed.
Smarty flash in 5-6min.

~Les
X2:cheers:

Powder_Keg
August 31st, 2011, 04:03 PM
I guess I'm using the wrong tuner then.... Frown

-Powder Keg

minytrker
August 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM
What year dodges does this cover for reading? I have access to many dodges, any particular year or year range your looking for stock tunes out of?

GMPX
August 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Covers 6.7L up to 2009.

pedro1141
September 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM
So 2010 rams are not included in the reading?

Duramax 6.6L
September 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
So 2010 rams are not included in the reading?

No not yet, I believe I saw that the 2010 and 2011 had some sort of encryption.

I am waiting for the 2011 and I have a 2012 on order.

GMPX
September 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
The encryption apparently applies to some 2009's as well.
At this stage don't bother trying to read the 2010+, it's a different ECM to the original 6.7L one.

pedro1141
September 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
So will the 2010-12 be next?

GMPX
September 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
A bit of a wild guess, but the 2010-2012 will not be looked at until 2012. I am away for all of November so nothing will happen with R&D during that time, up to that point (and probably beyond) we'll be working on the pre 2010 6.7L.

someguy
November 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM
The encryption apparently applies to some 2009's as well.

When did this changeover occur or how does one tell if they have a readable or non readable ECM ?

AFTERMATH DIESEL
November 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
When did this changeover occur or how does one tell if they have a readable or non readable ECM ?
Build date of 3/09 or later I believe I'm sure some one will chime in.

someguy
November 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Build date of 3/09 or later I believe I'm sure some one will chime in.

Is that the truck build date or the engine build date ?

Thanks

DoghouseDiesel
November 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Truck build date or any ECM that was flashed by the dealer after that data with the boot loader security.

If it was flashed by the dealer, normally there's a sticker on the upper radiator support showing the ECM flash.

someguy
November 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Once its flashed by the dealer, can someone reflash it to a previous version (with EFI Live) ?

Thanks !

Compcowboy
November 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Any updates on the release of the early 6.7 stuff?

someguy
November 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Any updates on the release of the early 6.7 stuff?

I'm interested to hear as well.

Any chance we'll be able to turn off the DPF anytime soon ?

Thanks !

groff
November 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Once its flashed by the dealer, can someone reflash it to a previous version (with EFI Live) ?

Thanks !

interested in this as well. I bought my 2008 at the beginning of this year, it appears it was flashed on 9-30-09 by the dealer, I've been patiently waiting for EFILive before this was pretty disappointing news that my ECM would no longer be supported, I really don't want to go with an out of the box tuner.

someguy
November 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one asking these sorts of questions. I thought it was just me wanting to make sure that I didn't have one of *those* ECMs, that couldn't be used with EFI Live.

groff
December 26th, 2011, 04:23 AM
can we get some clarity to this question now that the 6.7 software is out I'd rather not spend the money to find out I'm not supported and be screwed. Patiently (maybe?) awaiting an answer!

Merry Christmas!

dansdieselp
December 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM
There should be no issue flashing any 07-09 6.7 even if the dealer has reflashed it. We've done a few now with and without emissions and haven't had any issues thus far. If you read the truck and the tune is not supported just email the file to Ross so he can get it mapped out for you.

groff
December 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM
great thanks, hoping Ben from BTDieselworks can make it up this weekend for a tune