PDA

View Full Version : want to use a 5.3 to drive hydraulic pump

derkscustomcars
August 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hello,

Is there a way to use the ECM to keep the rpm's steady at a set speed regardless of load.

I want to run a 4.8 or 5.3 with a hydraulic pump with varying load.

Thanks

Matt

derkscustomcars
August 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I just had a thought, could i set the rev limiter to the desired rpm, apply full throttle so that if the load increases the engine goes back up against the rev limiter

ls327
August 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
its worth a try...

derkscustomcars
August 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
or would i be better to use a vss sensor and set a governed speed?

Or is the cruise control wired into the ecm or bcm

L31Sleeper
August 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
If it has an Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) I would use the vehicle speed limiter.
All you would have to do is put a pickup on the drive shaft (between the engine and pump)
I wonder if you could wire the Crank Position Sensor to the VSS ??

The reason I say IF is because the vehicle speed limiter on ETC engines is Very smooth.
Rev limiters are rough, they are simply a means of "saving" the engine from damage.
Speed limiters on non-ETC engines is also rough and cuts fuel to slow the engine.

-Justin

schwoch1
August 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I also vote for using an engine with ETC and setting the max engine speed in P/N to whatever speed you need the engine to run. I do not know if the engine will respond to varying loads, but hell, it's worth a shot. I also know that they have PTO functions in the PCM's that can be set for fast idle... might be something worth looking into!!!

Mike

derkscustomcars
August 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
thanks, i was looking into it a bit more and i have to agree, the ETC is smoother. you can also set up engine for rev limit through the ETC so im going to give it a try in my truck, set it low, step on it in gear and ride the brake and see what happens

Thanks again for all the input, i will post the results

Matt