PDA

View Full Version : Fried ECM?

LBZoom
August 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hey guys,
Working on a 2005 LLY truck, we first tuned the truck and everything went fine as far as loading the tunes and etc., last night we went to make some changes and before coming to meet me his truck blew and EDU fuse and wouldn't start...

Finally got it started and came down to meet up with me, my tunes weren't loading no matter what I tried, alt keys, low speed, etc, and then the truck wouldn't start again! The EFILive never made it past "checking status 10 of 10"

We checked the fuses, all were good. We disconnected the ECM connectors and put them back on, now the truck started fine and the tunes were still in it. So we tried to flash again, same series of events occurred, several times in a row.

One time the EFILive finally made it far enough to erase the memory.... but it couldn't flash anything in, it kept saying "retrying previous block" over and over..... so now it's dead in the water.

It also kept saying "invalid serial number, if problem persists please perform a full re-flash to generate a new unique serial number" well that's what we were trying but obviously to no avail.

Is it fried?

GMPX
August 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the truck has some problems causing communication issues. If you have a bench harness the ECM will probably program fine outside of the vehicle.

LBZoom
August 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks! Whatever the EDU is, (injector controller of some sort?) I think could have been the problem... I need to get a bench harness from Killerbee, wishing I already had one at the moment!

8100 Power
August 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks! Whatever the EDU is, (injector controller of some sort?) I think could have been the problem... I need to get a bench harness from Killerbee, wishing I already had one at the moment!

The eficonnection.com ones are really nice!

LBZoom
August 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys! He got a new ECM and the truck still won't run, the dealer is having a tough time figuring it out, glad I'm not the only one!

LBZoom
September 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Just figured I'd revisit this thread and thank everyone again!

Also, the dealer claimed they dropped in a $900 ECM and "warrantied" it as a nice gesture, but they failed to clean the dust off of the ECM which had obviously not been changed! I'm guessing they got it to reprogram somehow and then we were fine from then on.

killerbee
September 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM
There is no such animal as a $900 LLY ECM from the dealer. That would have been my first hint of suspicion. They are $1500.

LBZoom
September 12th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Turns out they just managed to get it reflashed somehow, they told him they put a new one in...but they forgot to wipe the dust and mud off his old one!

When we went to flash it the same issues appeared, although this time when we pulled the radio fuse it worked fine, even though we tried that the first time.

I had another LLY with same exact issues, we pulled the fuse, no luck, we pulled the whole damn radio out (aftermarket) and it worked flawless. The radio was to blame in both of these cases after all.