PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 2000 Model PCM to COS5 Question.

MedievalMonkey
August 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I've been playing around with my V2 for quite some time now mainly using it as a logger and to disable VATS for the conversion into my track car.
However it's now time to get a bit more serious. so I want to upgrade my OS to an efi-live one.

I've done a fair bit of reading and I'm confident I can handle this but I want to clarify something first.

I have managed to upgrade to COS5 on my daily 2004 SS but it was straight forward with there being a matching COS5 version.

However the motor/PCM in my track car is from a 2000 model holden commodore and there is no direct COS 5 upgrade. I'm not yet up to a level where I could go from scratch so I really need to be able to port across my calz to this new os. Is it possible to save my calz, flash in a stock 2002 commodore GM OS first, import my calz to that, save them again and then flash to COS5 and import them

Or Is there just no way to import the calibrations from a 2000 OS to 2002 or COS5 or anything else for that matter? (which is what I expect is the case)

Am I aiming to do something obviously far beyond my current understanding?

Thanks,
MedMonk

mr.prick
August 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Make a script. (http://www.v2-duramaxtuner.com/Scripts_tutorial.pdf)

johnmaster
September 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I did a 99 to 02 to cos5 upgrade on my silverado. The problem I found was that there are some differences in some of the tables, you have to use your judgement as to what data you want to use, the donor file or your stock file data. Took me a couple hours to get the base file made to start the upgrade. If I have to do it again I am going to look into making a script. It was a bit tedious.

L31Sleeper
September 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The only reason to copy the tables is if you have already started tuning the 99 os correct ?
If you start out with a completely stock car couldn't you just load the new os and tune ??

Thanx
-Justin

johnmaster
September 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM
They only made cos upgrades to specific newer oem OS's. If you have an earlier OS like my 99, you have to manually convert it to a newer (an 02 in my case) oem os so that it can convert it for you. This is why you have to copy and paste all the tables into a dummy new OEM os, check that it runs the same, then migrate from that newer OS to the custom OS. Simple right:)

L31Sleeper
September 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Why copy and paste, why not just load the new OEM tune.
If the car is NOT modified the car should run just as good
on the old OEM tune as the new OEM tune ? right ?

Thnax
-Justin

johnmaster
September 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM
There are small differences between say in my case a 99 silverado 2wd 5.3 and a 2002 silverado 2wd 5.3 that may or may not cause you trouble. You could try it but it is safer to use the framework of a new os and paste in your calibration or you could be chasing your tail a bit.

ScarabEpic22
September 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Justin, even on Fbodies GM switched injectors and cams between 99 and 02, an 02 tune isnt going to have the right injector settings and the VE/spark tables will be off.

L31Sleeper
September 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Justin, even on Fbodies GM switched injectors and cams between 99 and 02, an 02 tune isnt going to have the right injector settings and the VE/spark tables will be off.

wow, good to know. That was the bit of information I was looking for.
I stupidly assumed all LS1s were the same.

Thanx
-Justin

ScarabEpic22
September 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
wow, good to know. That was the bit of information I was looking for.
I stupidly assumed all LS1s were the same.

Thanx
-Justin

No problem, would have been nice if they all were the same but alas they're not. Gotta love minor MY to MY changes just to keep things interesting!

L31Sleeper
September 21st, 2011, 05:39 AM
So if you get an LS1 out of a salvage yard how do you know
which calibration will work best ?

Thanx
-Justin

ScarabEpic22
September 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hopefully the yard would know what year car it came out of, then you can match the proper calibration to that. If it comes with a PCM, just read the PCM out and it will tell you the year. But if you dont know what year it is, and the yard doesnt know, then honestly Im not sure. Someone else must know some unique characteristics of certain MY engines, but I have no experience with the LS1s except for a single 5.3 that was in a Suburban.

ringram
September 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Just change model year and you are there. Main thing to check is injector flow and values.
Otherwise its pretty straight forward. You can probably just flash your 04 tune in :)