PDA

View Full Version : No response from ECM

Sledhead
August 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Long story short;

I went to do a full reflash with a new DSP5 tune and it got into a "Retrying Previous Block" loop. I let it go about a dozen times then hit stop. Then no ECM response so keyed off. Got ECM response but getting a bootloader error after updating software. Old software says
"ECM in an unknown state"
Disconnecting
CAN-VPW Bridge deactivated
Disconnected
Data Transfer was interrupted
Done!

Full story here; http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=493706#post493706

Please help

Ira
August 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM
First, make sure the key is all the way on, sorry, not to insult you, but it's been the problem before.

If you update the 7.5 tune tool, you also need to install V8 and update the firmware in the V2.

Can you try using V8 to see if it will flash the truck?

Ira

Sledhead
August 31st, 2011, 12:52 AM
I tried using V8 and it wouldn't communicate with the Flashscan so I went back to V7.5 (which I did update) (I'm using a different laptop for each version)

I suspect the Flashscan firmware did not update, what is the correct procedure or where do I find the directions please? Do I check the BootLoader box and which firmware file should I choose in EFI Explorer?

I have access to a TECH II would it help? The Passlock light comes on with Key On then goes out for a while then on steady.

Ira
August 31st, 2011, 04:23 AM
Use the EFILIve Control Panel to update the FlashScan. After starting V8 and connecting to the FlashScan look down by the clock in the lower right hand corner of your computer screen for a tiny V2 icon. Right click on it and choose Show. Then make sure the F6 Firmware tab is selected. Then it should be obvious.

Ira

Sledhead
August 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Do I need to be concerned with my licences when updating the Flashscan?

Am I updating Firmware and Bootlocker? 2 separate updates?

Thanks

Ira
August 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Licenses will be fine. Update bootblock and then firmware.

Ira

Sledhead
August 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM
I updated software to V7.5.7 (Build 170) and V8.2.1 (Build 160). The Flashscan updated to Bootblock V2.07.02 Apr 03, 2011 (Bootblock ok) and Firmware V2.07.14 Jul 03, 2011 (Firmware ok).

I tried downloading the stock tune using V8 and got Error E54 Controllers Not Supported (twice)

Using V7.5 I got Error Connection to the ECM has been lost check the cables...

I swapped in another ECM from the same year (assumed good, the motor I got with it ran great on my original ECM)

I tried Reading the ECM without Alt Keys then with Alt Keys (no key entered in the block);
Error Bootloader rejected Reason; Controlleer has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation

I tried again but it responds the same way.

See attached transcript.

Sledhead
September 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM
Did my last post (with transcript) get lost or deleted?

Sledhead
September 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM
I updated software to V7.5.7 (Build 170) and V8.2.1 (Build 160). The Flashscan updated to Bootblock V2.07.02 Apr 03, 2011 (Bootblock ok) and Firmware V2.07.14 Jul 03, 2011 (Firmware ok).

I tried downloading the stock tune using V8 and got Error E54 Controllers Not Supported (twice)

Using V7.5 I got Error Connection to the ECM has been lost check the cables...

I swapped in another ECM from the same year (assumed good, the motor I got with it ran great on my original ECM)

I tried Reading the ECM without Alt Keys then with Alt Keys (no key entered in the block);
Error Bootloader rejected Reason; Controller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation

I tried again but it responds the same way.

See attached transcript.

joecar
September 1st, 2011, 02:06 AM
Try with the latest software/firmware: Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011

(http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?17096-Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011)V7.5.7.178, V8.2.1.168, bb 2.07.03, fw 2.07.21.

Tordne
September 1st, 2011, 05:39 AM
SledHead,

I posted on your thread on Duramax Diesels (http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33882) yesterday with the actions to take. Please attempt those recommendations and send through the resulting trace if you still have issues. It' described in my post over there (post #10).

Cheers,

Sledhead
September 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
Follow my progress here; http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33882

Sledhead
September 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Try with the latest software/firmware: Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011

(http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?17096-Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011)V7.5.7.178, V8.2.1.168, bb 2.07.03, fw 2.07.21.http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=494271#post494271

Done this and way more please help

joecar
September 1st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Can you check the firmware version in your V2 via the LCD/keypad...?

Could the other modules on the serial bus be interfering with the flashing...? If so then pull fuses on the other modules.

I noticed on the other forum you said "Controller is locked with a custom key".

Blacky
September 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Sledhead,

I'm looking at your trace files now, hopefully I'll have something for you to try soon.

The original PCM is dead. The second PCM appears to have a faulty lock. Is it possible the second PCM was tuned by another software package or another tuner that may have altered the lock - i.e. that may have locked the PCM?
Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out some options to try to get past the lock.

We'll send you a replacement VIN license to cover the license for the original PCM. Please send your FlashScan serial and auth code as per the instructions on this page http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...2143-YUOG-8049 (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=2143-YUOG-8049) to me (paul@efilive.com)

Regards
Paul

Blacky
September 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Can you please try using the key $3C7B to unlock the controller? Include the $ sign when you enter the key.

Regards
Paul

Sledhead
September 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
I tried but no luck. I've installed a 3rd ECM and it has reportedly accepted the stock tune. It cranks but no start and no codes. I'm waiting for the batteries to top up then going to attempt to change the VIN in the ECM. What else could be the issue? What needs to be done with VATS?

Sledhead
September 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think the 3rd ECM is bad too. Did the VAT Relink twice and did Key-On 15 min off 30 seconds 4 times too. No codes, crank but no start. Looking for a fourth ECM but hopefully we can unlock the 2nd one? I'll need that license too.

joecar
September 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Do any pids (STATExx) give any indication or reason for no start...?

Blacky
September 3rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
I think the 3rd ECM is bad too. Did the VAT Relink twice and did Key-On 15 min off 30 seconds 4 times too. No codes, crank but no start. Looking for a fourth ECM but hopefully we can unlock the 2nd one? I'll need that license too.

License sent.
If you send the locekd PCM to EFILive in Melbourne Australia we can unlock it for you. It takes about 3 days and the fee is US $50 (plus shipping). It may be cheaper to find someone in the US that can do it for you. Have you tried Pcmsforless (www.pcmforless.com), I think they offer an unlocking service.

Regards
Paul

Sledhead
September 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
It runs and STRONG! I downloaded the DSP5 tune which started this whole deal and it started :woott:

No idea why the stock tune wouldn't run it as the DSP5 is built off that but whatever. It lights up the duallies at will on drive pavement :coolspot:

I have had a hell of a week with technology; router, internet, cell phone, even my $%^&ing voltmeter sh!t the bed. Must have cut Bill Gates off in traffic :confused:

Awesome support from EFI Live, thanks for the help!

AFTERMATH DIESEL
September 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
So what resolved your issue?

Sledhead
September 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM
So what resolved your issue?

I don't know. The stock tune would write fine but the truck would crank and not start. VATS relink was done 2 or 3 times, batteries unhooked, computer rebooted, write the tune again, etc and no start. I was packing up to call it a day and tried my DSP5 tune which started the whole issue and it ran. It must have been a VATS issue? Now I'm scared to change the tune.