PDA

View Full Version : E38 custom OS idea

snax
August 31st, 2011, 08:23 AM
On a supercharged e38 car could I wire up a 12v out signal from a meth controller to the stock ECU spare 12v input to allow me to run more timing only when the meth system is on and actually working? The meth system I am using has a flow sensor and could output a 12v signal only when the system is actively spraying meth. That way if the meth system fails or if I run out of meth the stock ecu will revert back to a purely pump gas tune. And when the meth system activates its provides a signal to the factory ecu to switch maps where I can run additional timing and change up the fuel tables to suit.

is this feasible and a good idea or am i playing with fire trying to make this work? I know the chips for the bmw turbo motors have an input for a meth signal and it will automatically raise boost when it sees meth flow.

GMPX
August 31st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Have a read through the pdf below, it pretty much does what you want.
http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/E38-E67%20Custom%20OS%20Upgrade%20Tutorial.pdf

etmotorsports
September 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Are you using the custom OS on the gasoline or e85 i was somewhat unclear if it could be used on gasoline?

GMPX
September 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM
What the custom OS does is force the ECM in to thinking it's running 85% E85 at the flip of a switch. So it gives you dual maps for timing and fuel.

swingtan
September 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Just to be a little more clear on what Ross is saying.... Once the ECM can switch between tables, you can decide how each of the tables is used and for what purpose. So you may chose to use it as an "E85" enabler or you may chose to use it as a "NO2" enabler. Even a "boost methanol injection" enabler can be set up as it's really just a switchable "tune". Don't forget to check all the other ethanol tables that may alter things though. There are a lot of "blending" tables involved in the E38.