PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Error

TexasCummins
September 1st, 2011, 02:36 AM
Every once in a while, it has become more often for the past month or so, while flashing I get an error about 2-3 minutes into the programming. The box pops up and says "Error: Unknown error". There's no code, number or anything to help me figure out what is going on. I noticed restarting my laptop and disconnecting the Flashscan from the truck and computer let's me get through the reflash without another error but it isn't a permanent fix. Anyone else getting this and know how to fix it?

When I flash, I have the A/C, radio and any other accessories off.

FUBAR
September 1st, 2011, 03:27 AM
Usually it's an unknown $0340 or $0380 error that displays. Weird that it didn't give you the $XXXX value. But anyway that's Cummins ECM way of saying, "Piss off."

AFTERMATH DIESEL
September 1st, 2011, 03:50 AM
Go into my documents/efi live/v8/trace/. look for the exact time that you attempted the flash send the trace file to Ross@efilive and I'm sure he can look into it.

TexasCummins
September 1st, 2011, 03:53 AM
Do you happen to have his email address?

AFTERMATH DIESEL
September 1st, 2011, 05:15 AM
Ross@efilive.com

GMPX
September 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Best to get support via our support desk.
http://support.efilive.com/

Emails direct to me with attachments from Emails address's I don't know usually get automatically junked by my Email program.
We did get your Email though TexasCummins and will take a look.

TexasCummins
September 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'll go through the helpdesk from now on :)

GMPX
September 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I mention the Email spam filter because it really does happen, people get mad because you don't respond when it turns out Thunderbird junked the message automatically.
Anyway, looking over your trace it looks like FUBAR has hit the nail on the head.
When programming the Cummins ECM it's done in a number of stages, each stage has to verify it's success before the next can be commenced. What is happening on your truck is it's getting to the end of stage 1 (based on the time) and when EFILive asks the ECM to verify everything has gone ok it's saying no, it's failed, something went wrong. It's annoying this verification can't happen at any stage during the flash, we are stuck with how the system works.

I can only offer the usual suggestions.
Make sure your software and V2 firmware are up to date (See Here (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?17096-Release-Candidate-2-Aug-19-2011))
Is there any aftermarket accessory that might be connected to the CAN bus? The Cummins ECM's don't like a busy CAN bus when being flashed, there must be total silence.

Cheers,
Ross

flat_lander
January 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I'm going to bump this one back up. I had the same thing 3 times tonight. I apparently angered the CUMMINS gods so I thought I would bring it back up in case someone else has it, and can't find it in the search quickly. I about panicked until I found this.

2006Cummins
January 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
This happens to me quite often also - probably once a week. On several occasions it has happened three times in a row, and the 4th it will work. Get's pretty annoying. I flash cummins engines at work almost on a daily basis using insite, and have only once had an incomplete flash, but it was due to a laptop error. EFI does flash about four times faster, though.

Mike

GMPX
January 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Are you guys absolutely sure the V8 software and V2 firmware are up to date (or at least matched versions)? This can have a big impact on how reliable the flash will go.
I must admit though, we do push the ECM flash speed to the max. I suppose the difference is with Insite you are just putting in factory updates right? Not making 10 changes a day (I'm just speculating). If the flash took 20 mins per tune change with EFILive people would get pretty jack of it in a hurry.

flat_lander
January 31st, 2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I have the newest release for both the V2 & V8.

2006Cummins
January 31st, 2012, 04:32 AM
I have updated both the v8 and v2 a couple of weeks ago. I didn't bring up the flashing issue because as you said, I do make a bunch of changes in a day, waiting for a 20min flash would get really old, and I know that you guys are always working to make this better. So, it hasn't been too big of an issue for me. Yes, just doing calibration updates with insite.

TexasCummins
January 31st, 2012, 08:06 AM
My flash times have averaged around seven and a half minutes now and it's a hat toss as to whether it will error out or not. I turn off interior lights, the radio, a/c and unplug accessories from power ports then just let the truck sit but about one out of four flashes will error out and sometimes it gets to the point where there's multiple in a row and I have to power cycle the key, flashscan and laptop.

GMPX
January 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
I am going to ask for some feedback from our beta testers on how they go on a day to day basis. Many of them run tuning shops so they see many trucks per week.
This is the first time anyone has said there is flashing issues BTW. But to be brutally honest, because the entire flash process is controlled by the ECM with these trucks, the only thing we could do (if it's a problem) is slow the process down a touch. I'll speak with Paul where we might be able to put a user option tick box in the flash window for 'slow flash'.
Turning off all the lights etc probably isn't going to achieve anything to stop the failure, the issue is the ECM just misses blocks of data I would say, because we are sending it as fast as possible. Unfortunately it doesn't figure out it missed any data until it reaches certain points during the process and just 'gives up'.
i don't want to rub it in, but as far as flash speed goes, Cummins has got nothing on GM, using our own bootloader programs for flashing we can reflash most GM controllers in about 20 - 30 seconds, and send the data up even faster than what we currently do for Cummins, so I know the errors aren't EFILive missing a beat.

Cheers,
Ross

2007 5.9
January 31st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Even with Brand "X" tuner I used to use, I would get a flash failure once in a while. Ive had a few here and there fail with EFI, but NEVER (knock on wood) to this extent of losing the ECM.

DODGE74
January 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
I've only had mine error out about 4 times since I've got it in mid October ish. The first time it did it I thought I swallowed my stomach but it doesnt bother me now.

Like TexasCummins said when it does happen its usually in that 2-3 minute mark of flashing. But my flashes usually only take between 4 minutes 50 seconds to 5 minutes and 25 seconds.

Ross, I dont mind a error every once in a while as long as I'm not doing 10 minute flashes. That would get old pretty quick.

flat_lander
January 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I guess I should clarify. Now that I know it's not a big deal, it's not a big deal if it happens once in a while. I just wanted to get it back up to the top as more new people get EFI and run into it. I had that huge sinking, almost sick feeling until I found this thread. I was picturing trying to find a way to get the truck to the dealer in the morning.

GMPX
January 31st, 2012, 05:16 PM
They are pretty robust in the flashing department and recover well when it all goes belly up. I'm going to talk to Paul about maybe just slowing down one portion of the flash. There is several flash area's in the ECM that need to be written, if it's failing in the first area we could probably slow that part down a little (it's not too long that section) then speed it up once it gets past there. Happy to keep working away to get it as robust (and fast) as possible.

I would be interested to hear if it is always the first couple of minutes that is the problem.

flat_lander
January 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM
For me, it was the first couple of minutes (less than half way on the status bar) each time it failed. But I'm an EFI virgin and only have my truck I'm tuning. I'm sure the power users will chime in.

2006Cummins
January 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM
First couple of minutes for me too. Probably pretty close to the two minute mark. I will look a little closer when it happens next time.

GMPX
January 31st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Ok, thanks, it will be pretty easy for us to slow that section down if that cures it 100%, of course the downside it that it will slow the flash process down too. We'll do some testing in house first to let you know.

TexasCummins
February 1st, 2012, 01:06 AM
My errors occur between 2 to 2:30.

FUBAR
February 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Myself BBF'ing, it happens the first half of the flash. I always BBF too. So might the "slow process" option be a tick box as you say for pass thru flashing or will it carry over to BBF? Or would it be built in regardless not as an option?

GMPX
February 1st, 2012, 03:15 PM
In true Cummins ECM style there is no logical conclusion to our test results this morning.
We slowed down the data sent to the ECM during that first part and the flash completed 3 seconds faster, you might need to re-read what I just said.

Current release reflash = 5:54 reflash time
Slowed down data rate reflash = 5:51 reflash time

I put a CAN monitor on the bus to see that we really were slowing things down, and we are, but for some reason the ECM actually writes the data faster when the message are sent slower. Very odd indeed.
Anyway, the next update will have this new (slow) reflashing script in it so we will be interested to get some feedback from those who would have failed reflashes to see if it helps.

Cheers,
Ross

easymon
February 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Dont know if this helps but i was having errors after error somtime 4 trys before it would take to but more so when cold or when truck was sitting for days . So now i start truck and let it run and warm up a little before flashing have not had a error since. May not be what you all are experincing but thought would through it out there . shannon

2007 5.9
February 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Dont know if this helps but i was having errors after error somtime 4 trys before it would take to but more so when cold or when truck was sitting for days . So now i start truck and let it run and warm up a little before flashing have not had a error since. May not be what you all are experincing but thought would through it out there . shannon

I have this issue as well...so i just warm it up for a few then flash.

GMPX
February 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Temperature shouldn't make any difference, especially in sunny California Les :laugh:

2007 5.9
February 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Lol...yes of course Ross.

As warm as it might be here...I'd die in your country right now.

My larger frame doesn't play well with others in 90+* heat.

Back on subject...I do have most of my failed flashes if the truck is fresh. If its been on within a few hours of flashing generally I flash without issue.

GMPX
February 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
As warm as it might be here...I'd die in your country right now.
It hasn't been too bad here in Melbourne, but the poor folks over in the west of Australia just had a run of 7 days near 105°F. Lucky they have such beautiful beaches (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/58589817) to cool off at.

Back on subject...I do have most of my failed flashes if the truck is fresh. If its been on within a few hours of flashing generally I flash without issue.
Well, it will be interesting to see what changes for you all with the next update.

Cheers,
Ross

2006Cummins
February 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for jumping on this so fast. I'm excited for the next release to come out.

GMPX
February 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Actually before this thread existed I was under the impression there was no issues with flashing :music_whistling_1:

red0759
February 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I tried the RC9 software today after updating and updating the new firmware to the V2 and I'm having worse problems then ever when I'm BBF. Use to I would get the $0380 or $0340 codes like mentioned in earlier posts a maximum of 2 times before it would flash right then if I flashed later that day I might would get it again eventually but I just deal with it and re-flash no biggie. Today with the new RC9 and V2 firmware I have got these error codes 5 times in a row and from the time it starts the erasing process to when it happens is right at the 6 minute mark. Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your hard work!