PDA

View Full Version : No cummins pid list?

2006Cummins
September 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hi. I am new to efilive. I would like to scan/data log, but there is no cummins pid list to choose from - just duramax, etc. I just updated everything so I should have the latest software. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

LReiff
September 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
Once you have a specific cummins pid list that you like just save it as that, then you'll have it for future use.

2006Cummins
September 2nd, 2011, 03:08 AM
oh, I was thinking that the pids were cummins specific because if I select any of the other pids no values are displayed after I connect, just 0's and -40*.

olboyowl
September 3rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
alls you have to do is clear the current pid's that automatically come up and then go through the pid selection list and pick the ones (when you click on the pid's, it'll give you a group of them. you can't pick an individual pid.) you want to monitor. once you've picked them, click on the save pid file and name it what you want. like lee said, when you go back into your scan tool the next time, it'll be there all ready for you. hope this helps

2006Cummins
September 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks, got that done. Thought at first I was missing something, not that it just had to put it together yet. Now that I have the pid list done, and connected to the ecm, all values still show 0 with the truck running under the data and dashboard tabs. What am I doing wrong here?

olboyowl
September 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
when you say its connected to the ecm, you mean you hit the green button in the upper left hand corner of the screen in the scan tool, correct? if you've done that, alls you should have to do is make sure the pid list you made is the one thats open and hit the yellow or red record buttons at the bottom middle of the page under the data tab( the yellow shows the pid info without recording and the red records).

2006Cummins
September 4th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ok, I will try actually recording it. I was thinking that I would be able to see the data in real time. Is this the case, or do I have to record it and watch it back?

Thanks

olboyowl
September 4th, 2011, 01:53 AM
both yellow and red are real time. the yellow does not record and the red does.

2006Cummins
September 4th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have not tried the yellow button - looks like that's it. Thanks for being patient with me and answering my dumb questions!

olboyowl
September 6th, 2011, 01:40 AM
hey man, were all here to learn. if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. there are some very knowledgeable people on here

AdamRRT
September 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM
So what PID groups are the ones we really need, without me having to check out each one back and forth? Seems that some groups have some of the same parameters.

GMPX
September 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Logging the Cumnmins is a game of compromise, it's not like a GM vehicle that I know you've dealt with before where you can pick and choose individual data parameters. If you want to log RPM, then you get everything else linked in to that PID group, no choice there. But of course the more groups the slower the logging will become.

olboyowl
September 15th, 2011, 02:27 AM
[pressures and temperatures], [boost, rpm,temperatures], [timing, engine status, idle] and [fuel, injectors] are the 4 pids i use. has everything u need to monitor.

AdamRRT
September 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM
[pressures and temperatures], [boost, rpm,temperatures], [timing, engine status, idle] and [fuel, injectors] are the 4 pids i use. has everything u need to monitor.Simple enough. Thank you man. That's all I was asking.