PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with a DBW to DBC conversion

JUSTASBC
September 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
I have had too many problems with my truck, and have determined that I need to do a DBC conversion. I have an 05 Silverado 5.3 Magnacharger with a 4l80e swap. My truck often times would go into REP mode at WOT, and I would get a P1516 code. I lived with it by just leaving my controller plugged in the ODBII port, and clearing the codes when I was driving. It would do it as I was crossing the traps at the strip, so it wasn't all the time that it happened. I recently switched my supercharger pulley from a 2.9 to a 2.6, and it went into REP every single time I drove it. At part throttle I would get a P2101, and if I made it to full throttle I would get a P1516. There is no way I could come close to a 1/4 mile pass. Earlier today I was trying to find a bad wire or something that could cause this, and now it goes into REP as soon as I turn the key on. I have decided to just switch to a DBC in order to eliminate the frustration that I have previously went through with it. I currently am running a COS3, and would like to continue with it.

My questions are: Is there a complete write up for this (I couldn't find on on here)? Do I need to run a IAC (this is a summer only vehicle, and Idle is not my main concern)? Since I have a 4l80e swap, should I start with a tune that has a 4l80e or just do a segment swap? How can I determine if a tune is for a DBC? Will everything be OK since I had to repin a couple places for the 4l80e swap?

Taz
September 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hello Justasbc,

Have you logged airflow and adjusted C6101 (ETC predicted Airflow) accordingly ?

If you are using a MAF sensor B6102 (ETC Max predicted MAF Flow) will also need to be altered.

There are more and more DBW boosted vehicles that run fine if set up properly - all Gen IVs are DBW only. Don't give up on the DBW just yet ...

Regards,
Taz

JUSTASBC
September 3rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
I am not running a MAF, but I have tried everything with B6101. I really didn't want to leave the DBW, but my truck has never been able to drive in the throttle over 1/4 mile, and now it won't drive at all. I have way too much in the DBW now, and it still doesn't even run. I am afraid I will go through this in a few more years too. I am very surprised that when you get codes like I am you just can't pinpoint a problem from the code. The only answer I can get from anyone is that it is not working properly, and maybe I have a bad wire or connection somewhere.

joecar
September 3rd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Might also look at C6102, and at C5501-2 and C3901-7... try disabling some of those tests.

L31Sleeper
September 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
There is no write up, I don't believe very many people have done this swap.
You are asking questions about the IAC and 4L80 segment swap, but
are you ready to swap the PCM ? All the 1mb PCMs are drive by wire
you are going to have to get a 512k PCM.

-Justin

joecar
September 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Might also look at C6102... and at C5501-2, C3003-4, C3901-7, try disabling the tests.

Taz
September 3rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
All the 1mb PCMs are drive by wire
you are going to have to get a 512k PCM.

-Justin

Some 2005 full size van (Express / Savana) had Gen III V8 engines, 1Mb PCMs, and DBC throttle bodies. I wouldn't give up on the DBW system just yet - but the DBC van tune (and 1 Mb PCM) could be a "fall back" plan if all else fails.

Regards,
Taz

JUSTASBC
September 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
I actually remembered that I had my old 78mm T-body laying around. I just plugged it in, and didn't get any codes. I tried my 87mm, and 90mm again, and got the codes. I am thinking it might be the X-link. I would love to not have to change it.

slows10
September 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a 2006 Express 6.0 4L80e 4x2 DBC with 1MB tune if you need to look at one for reference

JUSTASBC
September 3rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
Slow10, I would love to take a look at that tune please.

slows10
September 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
11839 here you go. I think you can look in the systems folder and it will tell you if it is DBW or DBC.