PDA

View Full Version : How does this look?

2007chevy5.3l
September 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Just wondering if im doing this right. Its my fist VVE tuning and I have no clue what the VVE map is supposed to look like. Could I get some of the experts to look at this?

This is what I started with-11848

Here's what I have now

*NEW Log*

Thanks, Justin

joecar
September 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hey Justin,

Do you have a wideband...?

The E38 is way different than the 411/LS1B...

to adjust the VVE table(s) you will need to follow the VVE Tutorial and VVE Setup Guide, found here: E38-VVE-Setup-Guide (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide)

is that what you have been using...?

2007chevy5.3l
September 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Joe,

Yes I Have a LC1 wideband to log with.

I have read the VVE tutorial (many times) and finally putting it to work. I was just wanting someone with experience to take a look at the actual VE map and see if its getting better. I have no experience with this so im not sure if im going in the correct direction. Truck seems to be running fine so I guess its ok.

joecar
September 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Ah, I see the wideband in your log.

Take a log with the new .tun file and look at the BEN, it should be closer to 1.00 now.

From the VVE change it looks to me that you're on the right track (but I'm no expert on E38/VVE)...

I did note that your starting VVE table looks strange.

2007chevy5.3l
September 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Believe it or not but the starting map was the stock VE table from GM lol

2007chevy5.3l
September 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Taz
September 6th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Hello Justin,

You have altered the MAP & RPM boundaries and successfully regenerated the VVE - nicely done. Your stock VVE tables are not pretty. If the truck runs better and the WBO BENs are decreasing - then you are moving in the right direction.

I have attached your tune with a VVE from a stock 2009 5.3 L dropped in - intended as an example only - the shape of the VVE is more rounded / curved.

Regards,
Taz

2007chevy5.3l
September 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hello Justin,

You have altered the MAP & RPM boundaries and successfully regenerated the VVE - nicely done. Your stock VVE tables are not pretty. If the truck runs better and the WBO BENs are decreasing - then you are moving in the right direction.

I have attached your tune with a VVE from a stock 2009 5.3 L dropped in - intended as an example only - the shape of the VVE is more rounded / curved.

Regards,
Taz

Hey Taz,

Yup, I finally got the Map and Rpm boundaries set right and that process worked out great.. What im now wondering is when do I know when to stop correcting the VE table? Mine still looks a ways off from the example you sent so im sure I have a ways to go?

swingtan
September 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've had a look at the original tune file as well and as Taz says, the VVE looks pretty interesting. I reckon you could knock it around a bit and get the fuelling closer where it's off, as there are quite a few places where it's pretty close. Here's how I'd move forward though.

Fix the RPM zone boundaries. For a bolt on engine I'd go with 1000, 2200, 3400, 4600. Currently your zones are going a bit high and probably upsetting the high RPM zones shape. After changing the RPM boundaries, save the file and reopen.
Pick a starting point for the VVE. After doing the above, I'd copy in the stock VVE from Taz's tune and then over write the lower RPM cells with your original VVE. Copy the cells from 0RPM to 5000 RPM ( full rows, so all MAP values ) and copy them into the new VVE. Generate the coefficients and save the file again ( the save will regenerate the VVE as well. )
Set the Injector flow correction as per this post... http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15860-Newbie-looking-for-advise-with-first-tune&p=154371&viewfull=1#post154371
You have KR occurring, so just pull 5' of timing out of the high spark table for now.
Go and gather some log data. Follow the general rules to get good clean data, start with low loads and work up slowly while checking each result.

Preform a number of very light load RPM ramp ups in 1st and 2nd gear. Manually hold it in gear so it doesn't shift up and use light throttle. take it up to about 4000 RPM or so but watch the exhaust AFR's. If it goes too lean, stop the run and save the log data.
Apply the data to the VVE, I'd probably do it manually at this point as you are working on specific zones and not the entire table. Don't be afraidf of over correcting here as you'll be doing a few cycles to get it into a decent shape.
Repeat the low load log tests till the exhaust AFR's are looking close to commanded AFR's. This will give you a good guide to how the VVE will be turning out.
Move on to mid load testing. Follow the same process bu use 2nd and 3rd gear to provide higher loads, again ramp up to maybe 4000 RPM.
Watch the AFR's and apply the data again till the fuelling is pretty close.
Move on to High load areas. You can do this in any gear, but 4th on a dyno would be optimal. On the street you'll be limited to 1st and 2nd unless you have access to a "private road / race track ". You can still get excellent results without the dyno, but it takes longer. Again, watch the AFR's and abort the runs if it leans out.

Once the VVE has been bashed into shape. You can then "fine tune" it with log data taken from long drives on the street. If you want to get really good data, be slow with the throttle and even hook up a trailer with some weight in it. The best single VVE fix I've done was with a big trailer and 5 hours of log data ( two separate logs joined ). It worked very well.
Finally, once the VVE is good and the fuelling right, move on to dialing in the spark timing.

Simon

2007chevy5.3l
September 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Alright, I made a new map with all of the settings that you recommended.

Question, in the injector flow correction thread you say this-
2.If using BEN data, apply the BEN data at 120% to 150% ( use 150% if the fuelling is a long way off ). This should be done if the log sample is small, but you are confident the data is accurate. Once applied, generate the VVE and see how that goes.
Am I going to paste and multiply (150%) with lables?

Also you suggest applying the data to the VVE manually, do I just pick certian sections from the BEN and apply to the section needed adjusted?

Thanks alot Simon, and eveyone else helping me through this. I do appreciate it.
Justin

swingtan
September 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yes to either, that is what you say is correct but don't do both at the same time.

Adjusting the VVE is one of those things that you need to practice to get good at. You will not make one or two passes and have the VVE perfect, it just doesn't work that way. You need to make initial large adjustments and then reduce the values of the adjustments as the fuelling starts to become correct. You also need to learn how the adjustments will affect other cells when the VVE coefficients are generated. It just takes practice.