PDA

View Full Version : Idle tuning

Naf
September 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Idle will be a forever posting issue with everyone, but i have to say a few things that came to my attention during my endeavor.

1. Every book and thread i read about idle says your idle timing and other timing tables should be the same....

On the E38 that is not correct. The Hi and Low should be left alone and your idle and coast should be about the same...Coast should be about a degree or two higher for vacuum and stable near idle control.

The Hi table is the MAX timin allowed. so if its the same as idle you will max out and your idle quality will not be good once you turn on your fans, or AC.

I have set my timing to about 20.5 which i have found to be the best where i am not cookin the ECT and its not bouncing all over the place. If your timing is too high you will notice your ECT to raise with your fans stayin on longer to cool the ECT to your level.

My truck has a little flaw that i am still tryin to iron out. The Sticky helped but once timing was fixed i could return the truck idle parameters back to stock. Sittin in traffic with the AC on at idle of about 750rpm and 20.5 degrees of timin the engine will on occation just drop to about 400-500rpm and recover. also when i slow down quickly to a stop the engine will drop all the way down to 400 rpm and surge back up to 1000rpm then drop to 750 slowly.

Please see latest log and tune, please use idle only filter to see what i mean..

swingtan
September 7th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Did you read this thread?

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9740-E38-idle-tuning

It has a fair amount of info in there.....