PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Startup???

icem237
September 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Have an interesting problem, My 06 has just under 100,000 miles. No codes, no hard starts, no running or driving problems. Has an interesting problem though, when engine has been sitting all night and i start it in the morning i get some white smoke till then engine gets up around 150 or more. As temps here in east TN have been getting lower the white smoke gets worse, lowest i have seen is around 55F. Well All the diesels i have been around do not smoke at this temp usually would have to be cooler, more like around the 30F area.

So anyway thats alittle background on what im seeing. My tune runs no pilot, no post. No grid heater, timing has been compensated for, and when engine is warm zero white smoke. When the outside temps have been warmer, I was able through timing to clear it up, now on the other hand I cant seem to get this to work.

My friend Fubar has used my tune and has 0 white smoke at start, his grid heater unpluged as well.

Anyone have some ideas of what could cause this, Kinda scratching my head on this one :bangin:

Thanks ahead guys!

427lightning
September 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't have an answer, but with some of the tunes that I've been making with no post, I notice that I get a small amount of whitish smoke upon startup but it usually clears out after a minute or two and I also have the grid heater deleted, well, until winter hits anyway. I'm in Minnesota, so we've seen temps in the low 40's all ready. I see that you have an 06 with a G56. Thats what I have too. But, I haven't been able to get mine to like a single event tune of mine yet. Is there any chance I could try yours? I'll report back in the morning if mine smoked upon startup. Let me know and I'll shoot ya my email. If you don't want to share it, I totally understand that. Thanks

FUBAR
September 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
It's the darndest thing. My single event doesn't do it. I thought it was the grid heater so I unplugged it to see if I COULD get it to smoke, and nothing. Icem237 has tried throwing timing at it, retarding it, adding more fuel, less fuel, more fuel pressure, less fuel pressure, you name it. He still can't get it to quit. I loaded my exact tune onto a different 06 auto and his smokes slightly too at COLD startup and goes away after warm up. His is pretty much stock like mine, only has 61k miles, mine has 73k so I don't think it's his injectors. But not out of the total possibility though. But the truck doesn't white smoke with stock tune with all inj. events running. I believe Icem237 just tried a pilot/main tune and said it cut it back a lot, but still visible.

Mine doesn't do it, 2 others do on similar setups. I don't know. It's challenges like these that I like, but would love anybody's input too.

-Andrew

comnrailpwr
September 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I was figuring stuff like this would happen as temps started getting lower. Even told customers to expect it and when winter comes I'll update their tune. It sounds like getting rid of it is going to be a late night fight tho..

Jake

DoghouseDiesel
September 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
White smoke is a cold burn.

No pre, no post, added timing, cool air temps.......probably gonna blow white.

Modify your post injection event based on coolant and intake air temp and you should be able to take care of it.

icem237
September 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM
My smoke is pretty much just a large puff at startup and then pretty much goes away after about 3 to 5 seconds. Doesnt stay heavy white smoke at all. Im going to look into what you said about the post injection. Because what i would like to be able to do is for the post even to come on only when engine temp was cold and would shutoff once warm.

icem237
September 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM
White smoke is a cold burn.

No pre, no post, added timing, cool air temps.......probably gonna blow white.

Modify your post injection event based on coolant and intake air temp and you should be able to take care of it.

I need some help , I can get post work but having alittle trouble trying to control it with the coolant temp adjust.... Also Anyone know of how much duration and timing i should try to build heat fast on the post event. This is a bit beyond my experience.

Thanks guys!