PDA

View Full Version : 6.7L Progress Update

GMPX
September 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Everything is rolling along well.
We've put the scantool for the 6.7L into beta, and we've also been test flashing (in house) the ECM this week too. Part of this process is trying to 'break' the ECM. We've flashed it with different model year programs from 2007 to 2009, we've even flashed it with a GM Trans computer on the bus to simulate a CAN module not silencing, so far it's all held up well. So things are progressing at a great pace without too many glitches, and surprisingly the flash times aren't too bad at all at just over 4 minutes.
We aren't going to commit to a public release date at this stage, but we have told the beta testers we hope to have them tuning the 6.7L by the end of this month if everything continues along smoothly.

Cheers,
Ross

http://download.efilive.com/Software/Images/CMC_Flash.png

06redram
September 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
That's great news Ross

THEFERMANATOR
September 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
This is sort of OT, but can teh ALLISON TCM read anything from the CUMMINS ECM? I doubt you guys thought to test this, but if you still have it hooked up it may be useful to those who might want to swap an ALLISON behind there CUMMINS to find out if teh CUMMINS can protocol will jive with the ALLISON's GM protocol.

Outlaw1
September 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Looking forward to working with this on my '07.5 w/68RFE. :)

GMPX
September 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
This is sort of OT, but can teh ALLISON TCM read anything from the CUMMINS ECM?
That I am not sure, I've not looked in to the CAN message data the ECM transmits in normal running operation (what the TCM would be looking for). What would be the chance that GM and Cummins use the same CAN messages?....My guess is a 0.0001% chance.

Cody@LoveFab
September 13th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Good to hear!!!

I will be using Efilive for my 08 3500 manual once its released. If beta-testing goes into November/December and you need cold-weather testing, let me know, I can assist!

FUBAR
September 14th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Wow! 4:09 full flash time..that's a whole minute faster than the 5.9L.

cumminsDK
September 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Most 5.9s I've done have been around 6 mins as well but did one today the went in 4:34!

dsltnr
September 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I noticed in previous thread you mentioned the long read and flash times of around 28 mins, now 1 month later you are down to 4 minutes...wow! Am I understanding that correctly?

In your time on the TCM, does it look like there will be a lot of trans controls we can access or is it too early to tell.

TexasCummins
September 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
So what makes the 6.7 flash faster than the 5.9?

GMPX
September 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
It all comes down to the ECM. The flash speeds on the 5.9L & 6.7L ECM's are 100% controlled by the ECM itself, for whatever reason the 6.7L ECM seems to get the job done faster.

dsltnr
September 26th, 2011, 03:55 AM
That is fast and good to hear.

Could you comment on the trans when you can as far as what you expect in terms of control. Will there be alot of functions in the new trans that can be controlled by the ecm. I guess two part quiestion. I dont know the Dodge trans that well so this is why I am asking.

I understand the 5.9 trans was basically all mechanical with no controls through the ECM (no real controls anyway) whereas the new trans is different..?

1. Are there alot of functions of the trans controlled electronically. Torque converter lock up rate, shift pressures, shift points, etc etc?

2. If so, will your software be able to control these things?

Of course all of this may not be 100% known at this point, just feeling things out to see what you think based on what you may have seen at this point. Thank you for your responses.

dsltnr
October 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Things still progressing on the 6.7? Have the Beta testers begun flashing?

GMPX
October 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
It's been crazy!!
Paul (Mr software man) headed out on vacation for 9 days today! He literally just finished building the final beta version for us to release to our testers, so, if all goes well we'll have some feedback later in the week or next week.

Cheers,
Ross

dsltnr
October 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Ross,

Thank you for the reply.

I dont know how much of this you may or may not want to discuss in an open forum but have you ever looked at what Cummins actually uses to read and flash with. I know it is very crude compared to what you guys have with EFI Live and not very user friendly, more of an Engineering level setup.

Please correct me if I am wrong but there was a ECM change once again in 2010 or 2011 from Cummins to what I think is a CM2250 ECM for the 6.7. My understanding is the CM2250 is what Cummins is using for the following engines, the same ECM for all

ISB 6.7
ISC 8.3
ISL 9
ISX 11.9
ISX 15

Here is the question if you can answer for me. Is the DODGE Ram / Chrysler ECM the same ECM as what Cummins uses for NON Dodge Ram applications or does the Dodge Ram ISB 5.9 and 6.7 have a Dodge specific ECM, different than the same ISB 5.9 or 6.7 in an application that does not go in a Ram truck. I thought I read where the CM849 was actually a CM850 in non Dodge applications..? I am sure Dodge would have done this so they (Chrysler Dealers) would be the only ones able to work on the Ram trucks with the Cummins as opposed to Ram owners taking their trucks to Cummins Dealers to get worked on..again speculation on my part.

Normally in tuning software, you are dealing with a couple of main items.
1. Calibration- the actual fueling and timing values, etc etc on how the engine is set up

2. There has to also be some type of Configuration File or Strategy File to basically give the address locations and what they mean to interpret the values in the calibration file. You cannot view a calibration file without a Configuration file. I think Cummins refers to these as A2L files. These can be called many different things but the purpose or function is the same.

This is the reason I was asking about the Dodge Specific ECMs. If in fact the Dodge Cummins ECMs are not unique to Dodge applications only then why could one not use the same configuration files used to decipher or look at the Dodge 5.9 calibrations, and look at the non Dodge Cummins applications? Of course I am sure this is a mute point if all Dodge Cummins ECMs are Dodge specific as they would probably have different address locations and this would warrant a different configuration file to view the calibration file.

GMPX
October 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
have you ever looked at what Cummins actually uses to read and flash with. I know it is very crude compared to what you guys have with EFI Live and not very user friendly, more of an Engineering level setup.
No, I have never seen what they use to develop their tunes with.

Please correct me if I am wrong but there was a ECM change once again in 2010 or 2011 from Cummins to what I think is a CM2250 ECM for the 6.7. My understanding is the CM2250 is what Cummins is using for the following engines, the same ECM for all
The 2010 6.7L ECM's we have are CM2200's, I am not sure what other 'non RAM' applications they might be used on.
I am also not sure how different the ECM's are on the heavy duty Cummins applications vs the Dodge trucks. They may share the same hardware but often that does not mean the software in the ECM is the same. An example of this is the Bosch Diesel computers, same basic hardware design but code specifically tweaked for each manufacturer. Eg, the Duramax Bosch Diesel ECM isn't really the same as a BMW Bosch Diesel ECM apart from sharing a similar hardware platform.

There has to also be some type of Configuration File or Strategy File to basically give the address locations and what they mean to interpret the values in the calibration file. You cannot view a calibration file without a Configuration file. I think Cummins refers to these as A2L files. These can be called many different things but the purpose or function is the same.
That I don't know, not having seen the Cummins factory programming tools. A2L files are typically used in the European markets and is a file format for the ETAS OEM (http://www.etas.com/en/products/inca_eip.php) tuning software.

Cheers,
Ross