PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Tow/Haul Mode

kostelacd69
September 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Ive got a 2001 silverado with a 4L80E swap. Tow/Haul seems to work as it did before. My question is, is there a way to tune Tow/haul or what tables does it use to adjust shift point, pressures, and TCC?

ScarabEpic22
September 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Transmission segment of your LS1 PCM, tow/haul is another column like Cruise, Normal, or Hot. Look through the Trans tables, they'll be in there.

kostelacd69
September 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I am guessing it is the Performance side. My only problem with it is, when i set all 4 table to match everywhere when i turn tow/haul mode on it still kicks into three and locks up sooner. Not saying that is bad just wondering why or what is changing it from the performance side. Is the BCM changing what the pcm has programed/ kinda like a piggy back?

kostelacd69
September 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I am guessing it is the Performance side. My only problem with it is, when i set all 4 table to match everywhere when i turn tow/haul mode on it still kicks into three and locks up sooner. Not saying that is bad just wondering why or what is changing it from the performance side. Is the BCM changing what the pcm has programed/ kinda like a piggy back?

Taz
September 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
As Erik stated ... Tow / Haul = Performance ... in the applicable tables. "Performance" has it's own shift speeds, shift times, shift pressures, kickdown, TCC apply, TCC release, and TR (torque reduction) parameters.

I'm not clear on your current issue ... perhaps post your tune when you have a chance.

The only thing the BCM does with respect to Tow / Haul function - is send a Class 2 message to the IPC to illuminate the "Tow / Haul" indicator lamp.

Regards,
Taz

kostelacd69
September 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
ok so on to another question. i am getting a converter that can handle lock up at wot. can someone go through my tune and help set it up for wot lock up but unlock before it shifts. the one thing about this software that i am unsure of is the labeling on the trans section. for example it says speed at which the converter unlocks. does that mean anything above it or below. i hope that makes sence. all the trans tables are like that. shifting lock up unlock down shift. my goal is to make the tow/haul mode the lockup mode. can you help?

Boost
September 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My guess from experience would be this: when you hit tow haul, certain things happen, such as switching to the settings in the "Performance" column, as well as locking the clutch, bumping line pressures, altering shift points etc. You ma not see everything that is happening in the table, so even if they are all equal, T/H will still be different. Make sense?

Taz
September 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
A4 (4L60 & 4L80) transmissions are relatively straight forward to tune (compared to an A6 !) - once you become familiar with the related tables and what / how they control the transmission.

Take a look at the thread linked below ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?2990-Collecting-links-to-tutorial-material-scattered-in-other-sections...&p=131266&viewfull=1#post131266

Performance (Tow / Haul) mode shares all tables with Normal, Cruise, and Hot modes - each mode may be tuned separately (in the same table). TCC is one parameter where things sometimes seem to occur "behind the scenes" - there are still some yet to be discovered tables it would seem.

Regards,
Taz

Boost
September 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
you see? lol

kostelacd69
September 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah i follow. I am just now trying to make a new lock up tune/mode through the two/haul. The tables always confuse me by the way they are laided out. Does anyone have a 4l80 that they lock up at wot that they can post their tune?