PDA

View Full Version : Cummins .calz update - v7.07

GMPX
September 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Here's a small update for the .calz files for the 5.9L.

Added:
B9904 "Main Injection Pulse Limiter Option" - Used to enable or disable the Main Injection Pulse duration limiter. With this set to Disable the main pulse time will not be altered in any way from that commanded in the pulse time table.
B9905 "Brake Torque Management Option" - Use this to disable the power limiting when loading up whilst stationary. If set to disable this will still retain a functional PRND display, reverse lights and no start in gear.
Regarding B9905, heed this warning: It is not recommended this be disabled on a stock truck, driveline damage will probably result.

Download and extract THIS ZIP (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011.zip) file in to the folder to match the Windows version you have:

C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB (for 32bit Windows versions)
C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB (for 64bit Windows versions)

There is no need to update your software or firmware to use these files, though we would always recommend you are using the latest versions anyway.

We are releasing this as a zip file update because unfortunately our auto software updater is causing a lot of troubles so we are looking for a new one to replace it.

Have fun!

mstordahl
September 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Probly a stupid question, what versions of windows are 32 and 64 bit?

GMPX
September 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Any, you can buy WindowsXP, Win7 etc in 32 bit or 64 bit. I will suggest that if you are not sure you will more than likely be running 32 bit.
It's not that it really matters, the files are the same, it's just the directory location is different between the Windows versions.

FUBAR
September 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I know XP is 32 and Vista is 64.

And thanks Ross!

427lightning
September 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the update. Should be fun to play with it now that the limiters have been totally removed!

GMPX
September 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I know XP is 32 and Vista is 64.

And thanks Ross!
Mmm, don't want to turn the thread in to a Windows education :)
Windows comes in what ever variety you wish, there is a 64 bit XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Windows) .

FUBAR
September 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Mmm, don't want to turn the thread in to a Windows education :)
Windows comes in what ever variety you wish, there is a 64 bit XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Windows) .

That's why they pay you the big bucks Ross..:hihi: Sorry, back on topic.

Edit** You typed faster and posted before me Ross, didn't mean for it to sound like tit for tat after I looked at it, lol

AdamRRT
September 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Crap I was hoping it wouldn't be an all or nothing type of limiter, and would be somewhat adjustable. But I'm glad to see it, either way. Great work!
Is this the same as Smarty's "shift defuel", as in it removes torque management between gears?
What type of tranny mods are we thinking should be had? Like I have a "built" tranny with billet input, but that's the only billet shaft that I have. Stock intermediate and output shafts.

Thanks for the update, Ross!

ScarabEpic22
September 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Ross I guess the easiest way to try and clarify the 32 vs 64 bit Windows is this:
If you have a Program Files (x86), use it. Otherwise use the Program Files folder.

GMPX
September 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Crap I was hoping it wouldn't be an all or nothing type of limiter, and would be somewhat adjustable. But I'm glad to see it, either way. Great work!
D0511 is your adjustable limiter, B9904 overrides D0511's settings. If you are running high pulse times over 3,500RPM or so you need to use B9904.

Is this the same as Smarty's "shift defuel", as in it removes torque management between gears?
I am not sure. All I can say is that the test trucks that tried it were able to load up the truck whilst stationary all they wanted. I have not heard back if this changes the de-fuel between gears, we'd need to see some logs to confirm if it's still happening (or if it ever was).
I was told that with Smarty when you set "Shift defuel" to Off it is done to stop the between shift power reduction AND to enable boosted launches, all in the one function. We enable the boosted launches with B9905, but this retains the important safety functions that get disabled with Smarty (you know about those right)?

What type of tranny mods are we thinking should be had?
That I don't know, best ask a trans guy or you'll have to find one soon enough :hihi:

mstordahl
September 13th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys, good update

IdahoRob
September 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks guys, good updateNow you can spin the tires Matt!

mstordahl
September 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I will have to try the new low wnd table, this truck just will not launch worth a damn. It never has, and even now with my new trans it holds the power but there is just nothing to get it moving. I've rode in other trucks with my tune and a stock trans that will blow th tires off and launch pretty good, but this one just refuses to. Get moving and it goes good, just not from a stop. Hope this works!

2006Cummins
September 14th, 2011, 03:33 AM
You don't happen to have a really tight converter, do you? I've seen several complaints like that linked to a tight converter, or just warped steels in the converter.

I downloaded the ziped .calz file into the cmb folder, unzipped the folder, and opened the tune tool and don't see the new tables. What am I doing wrong?

ScarabEpic22
September 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Did you overwrite all the .calz files in the CMB folder? I usually download the .zip, extract it to a folder with the zip's name (WinZip, WinRar, and 7-zip let you do this from the right click menu), then copy the files to their destination. You might just have the files in another folder under the CMB folder, double check to make sure they're in the root of the folder (so just in EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB).

FUBAR
September 14th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Look in the folder you downloaded them to (the calibrations folder CMB). Open the folder that the files have been unzipped, copy those files in it and paste it replacing the ones in the CMB calibrations folder. That's what I did.

mstordahl
September 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Nope, convertor is only 300 rpm stall tighter than stock. Im really hoping that this new table is the ticket.

2007 5.9
September 14th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Nope, convertor is only 300 rpm stall tighter than stock. Im really hoping that this new table is the ticket.

300rpm is a much tighter converter than you think. Stock stall is around 1800-2000, so that puts you in the 15-1700 rpm stall area...I am in the 14-1600rpm area and it is a absolute nightmare to try and build boost sitting still...even with the new tables....

~Les

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
im having trouble unzipping the new tables with 7 zip. i dowloaded and saved the file to my desktop. i cannot get it to unzip no matter what i try. when i right click i get extract files to CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011 which is the folder i just downloaded. if i right click the zip folder-7zip-extract files-extract too C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB i get a 7zip diagnostic message #0 saying "''can not open file 'C:\Users\Jake\Desktop\CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011.zip' as archive""" I usually have no problems at all extracting files and just draging them over top the old files but not this one. i must be doing something wrong. if i try to extract with wizzard it says the compressed file is empty. im usually computer savy but am lost on this simple task??

kangsta
September 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I can open it with 7zip no worries. the zip is 194k when downloaded

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
weird, mine says its 99.7K. i dunno whats up with it. im going to try another zip manager

GMPX
September 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
This is why we are looking to use another auto update manager, zip files usually cause trouble for people.

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
when using winZIP it says: cannot open file: diesen't appear to be a valid archive
when using winRAR it says: ! C:\Users\Jake\Desktop\CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

ill keep messin with it, gonna try to reinstall efilive

GMPX
September 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
It was zipped with WinRAR.
No point re-installing EFILive, that won't help at all.

kangsta
September 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
if yours says 99.7k its probably corrupt. Try redownloading it

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
ross: didnt catch your post in time, i just got done re installing efi:doh2:. kangsta:i have tried several times to no avail. ill just keep messin with it.

FUBAR
September 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM
when using winZIP it says: cannot open file: diesen't appear to be a valid archive
when using winRAR it says: ! C:\Users\Jake\Desktop\CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

ill keep messin with it, gonna try to reinstall efilive

Shouldn't your path be: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB, not: C:\Users\Jake\Desktop/xxxx

FUBAR
September 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I've noticed if you don't follow the path exactly, files sometimes won't work.

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 10:22 AM
i have tried both ways. that is just where i am saving my zip file too. basically i am saving it to my desktop and trying to either extract the files to my desktop to transfer them to the CMB folder to overwrite the files that are existing or i am trying to extract the files directly into the foulder to overwrite the existing files. i have even tried to save the zip file when i download it to the CMB folder without luck. thanks for the help and suggestions guys. it'll get resolved here soon im sure.

chizwizdiz
September 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm lost, does anyone have a step by step?

chizwizdiz
September 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm lost, does anyone have a step by step?

Nevermind, this method worked for me:

-Download and save this to your desktop: http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/CMB_v7p07-09-Sep-2011.zip
-Locate file on desktop, right click on file, extract all
-Click browse, then double click computer, double click C: drive, double click program files, double click efi live, double click v7.5, double click calibrations, double click CMB......then click ok.
-Click extract, check "do this for the next 15 conflicts", click "copy and replace"

**Caveat** I'm an amature, but this method worked for me.

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Tried, keeps saying the zip file is incomplete or corrupt or empty. Depends on what zip manager I use. It has to be something with my laptop not allowing it.

Jake

GMPX
September 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM
In the morning I'll put the zip as an attachment to the original post as well.

comnrailpwr
September 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
In your morning Ross lol. It is morning here in the states. Thanks bud

Jake

427lightning
September 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I've had really good luck using 7zip for all of my zip files. I right clicked on the zip file once it was downloaded. Clicked Extract Files... Then clicked the little browse button and put it in this folder: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\CMB. It then asked me if I wanted to over-write the files and I said Yes to all. Unless for some reason you don't have admin rights on your computer, the above method should work just fine.

olboyowl
September 15th, 2011, 01:53 AM
i used chiz's instructions and it worked fine.

comnrailpwr
September 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
This is the first problem I have ever had with 7zip. It is usually a breeze but for some reason it hates this zip. I tried winRAR and winZIP with the same issues. My comp is dedicated to efilive and I am the only admin on it.

Jake

CIDRAUGHN
September 15th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I used 7zip, worked great, and I just extracted it straight to the file as per the instructions. Might give 7zip a try?

comnrailpwr
September 15th, 2011, 04:53 AM
im having trouble unzipping the new tables with 7 zip.

GMPX
September 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The same zip is now posted as an attachment to my original post.

comnrailpwr
September 15th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Ross

Jake

2006Cummins
September 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
So, I downloaded the new .calz files and when I opened up the tune tool a window popped up saying "unrecognized pcm" and some other stuff. Now my tune tool is useless. I cant open up or change any of my tunes. I tried deleting the .calz files (the cmb folder was empty originally) and that didn't help at all. What do I do now!?

Mike

Ira
September 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Personally, I'd recommend downloading V7.5 again from www.efilive.com and re-installing it. That should clean up any problems by messing around with the calz files.

Ira

2006Cummins
September 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I re-installed v7.5 and it is working again. Thanks.

Mike

icem237
September 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Sometimes internet ISP's can have issues when you download a file and it get corrupted evertime no matter what you do or what archive software used to unzip. This can be resolved with your internet provider. Not usually the case but ive run into this same issue over the years.

comnrailpwr
September 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
understandable, the attatchment worked perfect.

2006Cummins
September 19th, 2011, 02:21 AM
So, am I just out of luck then?

Mike

2007 5.9
September 19th, 2011, 03:10 AM
So, am I just out of luck then?

Mike

You stated above that it was working fine after a reload???

~Les

2006Cummins
September 19th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Sorry, I should be more clear. The 7.5 tune tool is now working fine after reloading it - without the .calz updates. As soon as I download the updates, the tune tool stops working again. I have tried it three times.

Mike

2007 5.9
September 19th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Sorry, I should be more clear. The 7.5 tune tool is now working fine after reloading it - without the .calz updates. As soon as I download the updates, the tune tool stops working again. I have tried it three times.

Mike

What windows version are you running??

~Les

2006Cummins
September 19th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Vista

2007 5.9
September 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Let me try to help...download zip folder to your desktop first.

Then right click on zip folder...click on extract all. Should bring up a screen that allows you to choose where to extract to. Click on browse, drive c, program files (x86) if your running 64-bit. Click on EFI, click on v7.5, click on calibrations, click once on CMB. Go to bottom of screen and click ok. Toolbar should say. C:/programfiles/EFI/7.5/calibrations/CMB.
Or similar layout....click extract all...should ask if you want to replace file with new one, click yes to all and it should replace all OS calz files with new ones.

Hope this helps.

~Les

skneeland
September 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Here's a small update for the .calz files for the 5.9L.

Added:

[B]B9905 "Brake Torque Management Option" - Use this to disable the power limiting when loading up whilst stationary. If set to disable this will still retain a functional PRND display, reverse lights and no start in gear.
Regarding B9905, heed this warning: It is not recommended this be disabled on a stock truck, driveline damage will probably result.

Have fun!

oddly enough after loading up my box tune with all the transmission protect settings turned off, this was set at "enable"

FUBAR
September 20th, 2011, 05:14 AM
This is a sore subject. Plea research the latest threads.

2007 5.9
September 20th, 2011, 05:15 AM
This is true..Ross accomplished the same result without tricking your ECM into thinking it's a manual truck and losing your shift indicator lights.

~Les

FUBAR
September 20th, 2011, 05:20 AM
EFILive enables the end user to correctly modify and tune their truck while box tuners may take shortcuts that may be viewed differently when read out with EFILive.

FUBAR
September 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
You beat me to it Les.

skneeland
September 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
This is true..Ross accomplished the same result without tricking your ECM into thinking it's a manual truck and losing your shift indicator lights.

~Les

the same result, or CLOSE to the same result? I played with both a little and it still seems not as impressive as the box tuners results. I think theres a little more to be discovered still

FUBAR
September 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Seriously?

2007 5.9
September 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
the same result, or CLOSE to the same result? I played with both a little and it still seems not as impressive as the box tuners results. I think theres a little more to be discovered still

What exactly have you tried??

Details are desired....

~Les

2006Cummins
September 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I tried downloading the .calz updates again, and it worked! Don't know what was causing problems before. Thanks for the help.

Mike