PDA

View Full Version : 2006 5.9L Manual truck is a dog

trqfun
September 23rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
Hello. I'm new here and don't know a thing about tuning. Now that's out of the way I'd like to describe my trucks behavior and see if anyone has input.

Stock Truck
My truck is a 2006 5.9L Manual. With the stock tune it is a total dog. For example when taking off in second gear it's as if the truck doesn't want to rev past say 2200rpm. Shifting to 3rd isn't much better. Finally when in 4th the truck will rev to redline then go to 5th ok. Now I'm not saying 2nd and 3rd won't go to redline but it's like you have to floor the truck then when once at high rpm it's the shift quality is very poor when going to the next higher gear. It's as if the truck has two fueling strategies. Defueling with any throttle less that say 75%, then wam it goes. Ok, so all this probably sounds like typical stuff for a HD clutch? And I should just get used to it?

Tuned Truck
So when EFI Live came out I bought it because I was hoping that with tuning this behavior would be improved. I'm running a 100hp tune from ATP and now I have power on the top end but still this weird lagging behavior at low rpm in 2nd and 3rd. Things I've noticed.

fuel pressure never seems to break 20k. Although it could be and I'm just missing it while trying to keep my eyes on the road
boost gets in the 35 psi range, seems ok

Ideas:
Should I do a datalog? Would commanded vs actual fuel mm3 show me something?

I also found this TSB which describes some kind of power reduction in the factory software to save the clutch. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/18-005-06b.htm

Could this be a 06 OS issue? Should I go to 07?

thanks for the input.

trqfun
October 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know what Dodge did with TSB 18-005-06b to control vehicle speed?

Is this something in a limiter perhaps in a table now available through EFILive?

Dmaxink
October 6th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Have you tried to contact Rob on the matter? I would imagine if you did so he would ask you to supply him with a log and correct the issue, or tell you what way you may correct it...

LReiff
October 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM
The problem could be anything from a bad component, to an OS issue. Until you have a data log and/or try a different OS you're playing russian roulette!