PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate Issue

TexasCummins
September 23rd, 2011, 03:13 AM
I've been changing a few settings and the truck has seemed to have no power for the past few days. I noticed that my wastegate is limiting me to 20psi, I can stomp on it and get about 28psi before the wastegate opens and cuts me back down but during normal driving I'm hard pressed to make more than 25psi. The truck feels sluggish all around and no matter what I change in the ECM dealing with the wastegate nothing is different when I drive.

Any ideas? There's no boost leaks anywhere. I have a pretty good deal of fuel running through it but it barely hazes out the back.

FUBAR
September 23rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Details on your parameters and settings in the tables would help.

TexasCummins
September 23rd, 2011, 03:42 AM
Reflashing the truck right now, I just got back from a test drive after putting on my Quadzilla boost fooler and recorded a few runs. The highest I could get the gauge to hit was 30 and it stood there if I was at 75% or 100% on the TPS. I'll look over the data and post back up in a bit with what I found and my settings.

TexasCummins
September 23rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
Here is a snapshot of part of the run. How does the Dodge ECM read wastegate duty cycle? Higher the number the more boost or the higher the number the more limiting?

FUBAR
September 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Read Tables {E9000} and {E9001} in the TuneTool. That should answer your question as well help you understand it. I've found on a stock turbo, 70% MIN. works best to keep boost from falling on its face and blowing just a bunch of hot air.

-Andrew

Dmaxink
September 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Just my .02...be careful with your timing as that seems a bit much... and x2 on what fubar said..

TexasCummins
September 23rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
That's actually the timing from a certain tuner performance setting, I've been working on a new lower graph but haven't tested it.

Motorzane
September 23rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Check your wastegate solenoid. We have had several come in the shop bad here lately. No matter the amount of tuning we did changed anything. Wastegate on or off, more fuel, more timing, nothing helped the boost. It always stopped at 26 psi. On one truck we turned the wastegate off and pinched off the hose to see if it would make more boost. And it hit 38 psi without any problem. Hope this helps. I scratched my head on this problem for a week on the first one.

TexasCummins
September 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Changed tunes to one running a different calibration and OS, truck runs like it should now so I've gotta look through that certain file and see what's up.

DoghouseDiesel
September 24th, 2011, 10:41 AM
You'll find that some of the OS's have quirks in them.

My stock OS wasn't worth a crap. Didn't seem like anything wanted to work.

Changed OS's and it was a night and day difference.

dansdieselp
September 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just a thought on the timing isn't it reading with the 20* offset still so it would be like 14.5 instead?

FUBAR
September 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I think since Kory's got the beta files with it taking out, he just had a brain fart looking at a non-beta file screen shot..

Dmaxink
September 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Andrew and Dan to the rescue!! Lol yes my beta files have the.offset -20 so it was in fact a brain fart! Carry on.... :-)