PDA

View Full Version : Disabling pagefile on windows... EFILIVE LIKES IT!

Highlander
September 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Damn, it loads like 3-5x quicker with pagefile disabled.

Keep in mind YMMV AND i have 8gb ram.

Just an observation.

ScarabEpic22
September 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Get an SSD if you really want to speed EVERYTHING up, makes my laptop scream. HP dv7t Quad 17.3", Core i7-2720QM, 8gb ram, Radeon HD 6770M, 750gb hdd, BluRay, and a Crucial M4 128gb SSD. Cold boot into Windows 7 in 18-20 seconds. Hardly use sleep anymore because I can save battery by booting it.

Really though, wonder if its just your Windows install or how EFILive loads its data into RAM. If disabling the pagefile makes it faster, then its trying to cache everything to the hard drive which for a medium size program Windows shouldnt be.

Highlander
September 27th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I have the same laptop and the ssd is on its way!

I was hoping to boot is 7-9secs though!

ScarabEpic22
September 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Maybe have Windows 7 boot in 7-9 sec, but you have to remember the BIOS initialization takes 6-8 seconds and theres no way (currently) to get around that. So 15-20sec is pretty dang good, Ive seen fast with a SSD RAID array, but for a laptop its not worth it. Did you order the extra sata cable from the aftermarket website? Without it, you can only run 1 HDD, and I wanted to have my SSD for boot/progs and my spinning drive for storage.

Good choice on the laptop, Ive had mine for 4 months and love it. Bought the 6 and 9 cell batteries, running on the Intel graphics with the 9 cell I can get anywhere from 5-9 hours of battery life depending on what Im doing. Not too bad for a desktop replacement.

Highlander
September 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Maybe have Windows 7 boot in 7-9 sec, but you have to remember the BIOS initialization takes 6-8 seconds and theres no way (currently) to get around that. So 15-20sec is pretty dang good, Ive seen fast with a SSD RAID array, but for a laptop its not worth it. Did you order the extra sata cable from the aftermarket website? Without it, you can only run 1 HDD, and I wanted to have my SSD for boot/progs and my spinning drive for storage.

Good choice on the laptop, Ive had mine for 4 months and love it. Bought the 6 and 9 cell batteries, running on the Intel graphics with the 9 cell I can get anywhere from 5-9 hours of battery life depending on what Im doing. Not too bad for a desktop replacement.

Exactly my setup! And works just like that!

joecar
September 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
What are the cons of disabling the pagefile...?

Highlander
September 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
That if a program needs extra memory aside from what you have, it might lock up the PC. And if you need to do a dump because of a BSOD, you wont have were to do it.

nevinsb
September 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
You could get a second hard drive for the windows page file. My Gateway FX laptop supports 2 drives, unfortunately the battery life is horrible, but the laptop is great performance wise.

I'm so spoiled using the touchscreen on the Toughbook and the new dell XFR at work. I need to find a tablet PC.

ScarabEpic22
September 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Honestly Ive read a ton on SSDs, and in the end either disable the pagefile or leave it on the SSD (boot). I dropped my pagefile down from 8gb to 2gb just in case I end up going over my 8GB of RAM. Honestly though, Ive have 400+ Chrome tabs, EFILive V7.5 Tune, V7.5 Scan, V8, Word, Excel, PPT, uTorrent, and was playing a 1080p movie in VLC. Still had 2+GB of RAM left.

The dv7ts have 2 drive bays, the cage is there you just have to buy the cable from a 3rd party (I forget who I bought mine from) and install it. I have my Crucial M4 128gb and a factory HP Toshiba 750gb 5400rpm drive in my dv7t Quad. And I still get the battery life I mentioned in my first post.

Highlander
September 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
My OCZ Agility 3 came in... Everything is MUCH faster... specially boot... Did the optimization...

Download a tweaker called ssd tweaker

Before, I would boot in 47-52s
Now, 15-17s.

That alone is worth the drive...

Everything is snappier... Although, at the time of posting. I felt that Efilive loaded faster than with the SSD.... Go figure! LOL. The small green bar when loading the calibration, you couldn't "see it completely" it just vanished... .NOw its back to its usual self. Maybe I disabled a tad too many services after the optimization.

Firefox starts in a jiff.

I have my SSD and a 2TB on the second bay. IT alsmost doesn't fit inside. I had to remove everything but the drive and cable for it to "fit".

ScarabEpic22
September 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ah, went with the Agility huh? Better choice than the Solid, but I would have spent the extra few $$ for the Vertex. Lots of little differences between the Agility and Vertex, synchronous vs asynchronous flash, higher IOPS, and a few other minor differences. Still a "solid" choice (haha).

Download CrystalDiskMark and make sure TRIM and NCQ are enabled in Windows, the first install of Windows 7 I did for some reason had them disabled. Also make sure you're getting the SATA6/300 transfer rates, plus you can benchmark your SSD and see what the true speeds are in real world use. Ill take a look at the ssd tweaker and see if its worth using on my system (already happy, dont want to unnecessarily mess it up and have to rebuild Windows).

Wish I would have upgraded the spinning drive, but Ive got 2 external HDDs with 3.5 TB, an extra 2TB Western Digital Black desktop drive, plus a bunch of usb flash drives. Maybe next year Ill buy a bigger hard drive, but for now Im done throwing $$ at it lol. Waiting for Bulldozer to come out so I can buy a mobo, cpu, and ram for my desktop and get it running again.

Enjoy the speed, SSDs rock!