PDA

View Full Version : calibration of fuel gauge

mah2092
September 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
its has been a while since i have posted and have had a few changes. I was trying to work on getting a better fuel reserve prior to empty light coming on. Originally, I had 6-8 gallons of fuel left when the empty light came on. I did some changes with my programmer and the changes were coming along just fine. The reserve was down to an acceptable 3 gallons. BUT, I had to change out the sending unit and found that the calibrations I had been working on no longer worked. In fact, with a bone dry tank, the gauge showed that I had a 1/4 tank. I tried to ensure that I had clocked the sending unit correctly (had to drop the tank again), but no way it can happen. It only goes in one way. Finally, I had found that the original sending unit measured from .8V to 2.8V. The new one measures no more than 2.5V. I figured this when I hooked up the wires to the unit with it out of the tank and the float level as low as it could go. The calibrations i had come up with were 2.5V = 6 gall left. The new unit does measure as low as .7V so I guess this is decent. But now I am having the same problem. About 4.5 gallons reserve. Too much for me. What can i do to fix this now? The only thing I can think of is to bend the float slightly. Also, when using the scan tool, it only measures to one decimal place. Can i change this to 2 decimal places to coincide with the tunig table? I know this is minor, but when you have a tiny tank (stock) every bit helps.

thanks

imfromthecountry
January 6th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I am working on trying to calibrate mine as well. I noticed when full I have 98% shown on the tech 2 scan tool and 0.9V and when the low fuel light is on its 2.4V with 9 gallons of fuel left. ugh

mah2092
January 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
i recently changed the sending unit after SOMEONE dumped mud into my fuel tank. Well, now with the new sending unit and the stock voltage calibrations, I now have about 3 gallons left when the empty light comes on. I dont know why the difference, but I can live with 3 gallon reserve.