PDA

View Full Version : All new to me

bgolden65
September 30th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hello I'm new here and need help & advice. I own a 05gto w ls2. I recently installed a cam, zo6 heads, headers, exhaust system. The car gets random misfire codes pretty regular. I need to knowif I need tuner. I have a plug in superchips model, but can't do a lot w it other than delete dtc. I am interested in buying a set up I can tune & learn. Only for my car. Will be doing lots of mods.

joecar
September 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Hi bg65 welcome to the forum :cheers:

Tuner will do some things for you, for a price, and you have to keep going back if you need anything changed.

If you plan on doing lots of mods, then it will be more cost effective to buy tuning software and learn how to tune...

but note that there is a learning curve, so you will have to spend a lot of time with your new "hobby".

The tuner does have a dyno which does make tuning VE/MAF tables easier... you probably will have to spend a little time on the dyno, and the rest of the stuff you should learn to DIY.

bgolden65
September 30th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the information joecar. Time with my new "hobby" won't be that much of a problem for me. I love learning new things. Can you give me some ideas as to what brand tuner and software program to use?

bgolden65
September 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Also, what parameters will I be able to adjust? Thanks for the info.

joecar
September 30th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Download and install the EFILive software from here: V7.5.7.180 (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.180_Setup.exe)

Then download this file and save it on your PC: 2005 LS2 E40 GTO stock file (www.tunefiledepot.com/calibrations/stock/Pontiac/2005 Pontiac GTO Coupe Automatic LS2 6.0 Litre (12596734).tun)

Use the V7 tunetool to open the stock GTO file, and just browse around and look at the various tables.