PDA

View Full Version : Transfer VIN license

ClarkFarmsDiesel
September 30th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I couldnt wait to get EFI live tuning for my Duramax. I didnt have the funds, nor was I old enough to own a credit card to purchase EFI. So I used a buddy of mines EFI live to tune my pickup and now I would like to purchase EFI live. So my question is, (and I think from reading on here and on diesel place I already know the answer) is it possible to transfer a VIN license? If not, what does it take to purchase a VIN license for my Duramax that another tuner owns the license for? Im just a beginner so dont hit me to hard :hihi:

Ira
September 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Any EFILive can tune any supported vehicle. There is no problem with your V2 and his V2 being locked to your truck, just means both of them can tune your truck. When you purchase a V2 it will come with 2 unused VINs, one of which you'll use for your truck.

Ira

joecar
September 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
No, sorry, the single license does not transfer across V2 units.

When you purchase EFILive tuning hardware, it comes with two licenses as Ira said.

Each license attaches to a PCM or ECM/TCM pair (i.e. not VIN).

The other tuner does not "own" the license for your ECM... he can flash it from his V2, but so can you from your V2 (with one of the licenses that comes with it).

ClarkFarmsDiesel
October 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys. I was afraid that my ECM was going to be locked down and only his tuner could tune it. Glad to find out I was wrong this time.

ScarabEpic22
October 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
It can be locked, so this is a valid concern. However usually this isnt the case, if it is you'll just have to get the seed/key from your friend and unlock it.