PDA

View Full Version : ecm fried?

crash85
October 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
i was loading a tune in a truck and my lap top died and i charged it back up and went to load the tune and it will go to connect and it tries 10 time then it says it lost connection i was doing a full reflash is my ecm fried?

GMPX
October 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
What model truck?

crash85
October 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
03 duramax

Tordne
October 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
If the crash occurred during the very early part (first few seconds) of the full-flash operation then it is quite likely that the ECM will be dead unfortunately. I'm assumign you're no longer able to read or connect to the ECM at all?

crash85
October 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
i got to where it erased the ecm them the lap top died and now it wont connect to it

GMPX
October 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The 'worst' part of the flash it could have shut down.
If you have disconnected the battery from the truck then the ECM is dead, if you haven't then just keep trying to full flash the ECM. If power has not been removed from the ECM it will still be alive and waiting for the PC to talk to it and resume the flash.

crash85
October 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
i tried unhooking the batteries and let it set a few hours and rehooked it up but still the same thing

Dmaxink
October 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I once tried to full flash a ecm that I thought was dead and for whatever reason on try 52 throught the day it worked and have flashed multiple times sense :-)

crash85
October 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
so in other words you just kept on and on till it finally went?

GMPX
October 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
i tried unhooking the batteries
Sorry, it's dead now, the ECM is totally blank.

crash85
October 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
ok so i need to get another ecm?

GMPX
October 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Yes. There is a number of people out there who can hook you up with another ECM, try Google.

comnrailpwr
October 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Is this the same for Cummins ecm Ross? Basically if the comp ever dies while flashing the worst thing to do is disconnect the batteries? I thought that is what efi did when u read a truck is totally remove the software inside, modify it, and reinstall it to the ecm?

Jake

GMPX
October 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
No the Cummins is safe, it's really only a few of GM's earlier controllers that are a problem. The LS1, LB7 where a full flash is a big risk and the reason for that is 100% of the flash chip needs to be erased, on the later ECM's they got wiser and it always retains a section of the flash that allows the ECM to talk to the outside world. Cummins did things a little different to that again, but similar in that there is always some program left in the ECM so it can recover from a failed flash.
With the LS1 & LB7, it's really only the first 20 seconds or so of the flash that is the most critical, that is when the 'recovery' part of the ECM is being written.

ScarabEpic22
October 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
But isnt the downside to not erasing 100% of the flash that installing different PCM/ECMs in different vehicles requires a Tech II to flash them? Im still trying to get my head around why only a Tech II can full flash an E38/67 for use in another platform and EFILive (and HPT) cant. Does it also have to do with the ETC controllers?

Dmaxink
October 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
The 6.7 will be safe as all get out... I have pulled battery while flashing..killed computer while flashing..tried to flash while running (as Bobo did.lol!), basically I think the cummins ecm Ross has it about bullet proof 'knock on wood'

GMPX
October 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
But isnt the downside to not erasing 100% of the flash that installing different PCM/ECMs in different vehicles requires a Tech II to flash them? Im still trying to get my head around why only a Tech II can full flash an E38/67 for use in another platform and EFILive (and HPT) cant. Does it also have to do with the ETC controllers?
On the later ECM's like the E38, E67 etc the requirement for TechII comes from the fact there is a second microprocessor in there to handle the ETC functions, it does not reside in the same memory space as the flash chip we program. It can't be read, so therefore EFILive (and HPT) can't reflash it. With TIS it always flashes this part of the ECM during normal programming.

ScarabEpic22
October 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
On the later ECM's like the E38, E67 etc the requirement for TechII comes from the fact there is a second microprocessor in there to handle the ETC functions, it does not reside in the same memory space as the flash chip we program. It can't be read, so therefore EFILive (and HPT) can't reflash it. With TIS it always flashes this part of the ECM during normal programming.

Ah I see, I didnt realize it cant be read out, just like the LML: no read, no write. Thought it was like the P10 where its just tricky as all he|| to mess with lol.

01 D_Max
November 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
If the crash occurred during the very early part (first few seconds) of the full-flash operation then it is quite likely that the ECM will be dead unfortunately. I'm assumign you're no longer able to read or connect to the ECM at all?

Does this apply to me too? I forgot to turn on my key. so I hit Stop! Bad Idea... I was reading the info buletin and heard My Lift pump stop. I pressed NO I don't wanna stop, but it was too late, and Now I get PCM not detected. And I read a post that said to dicsonnect the battery for 10 minutes. So I did. and still Nothing. Help?

Tordne
November 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
If you have a 2001 Duramax (as your alias implies) then it is likely that the ECM is going to be dead I'm afraid. I your case the battery disconnect will not help.

01 D_Max
November 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
There is no way to test it?

Tordne
November 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Your failing attempts to flash or communicate with the ECM are a pretty conclusive result. If you'd like to send through some trace information (as per this article (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586)) to me (email support@efilive.com) I'll pass it on. Just FYI it is Saturday where we are so the trace may not be looked at for a couple of days.

01 D_Max
November 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I just checked my fuses, they are all good but, 2 of them are not even getting power that should be with the key on.

In the main fuse box, top center there is a 25A and a 15A, my Fass pump is connected to the 25A labeled with a 1 with a big black circle around it, footnote says INJB. And the 15A is labeled 2 with a Black circle, footnote says ECMRPV.

I read on another site that the ECMRPV fuse is what sends the power to the PCM. I did some more research and found that if My ignition switch went bad it could have lost power to these fuses.

I am starting to believe that I have blown something in my ignition switch, which lost power to these fuses, Causing no power to the PCM. Which could answer why I cannot detect it through my V2.

Could this be a viable answer?