PDA

View Full Version : How does EFIL convert raw data into pids for logging??

Redline Motorsports
October 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to better understand how logging PIDS are found and converted into EFIL. I understand when "writing" data we need the binary address and some other protocol data as with a CAX file...is this the same for logging PIDS?

If I have access to this data can I rework certain parts of the software (like when we do a custom pid)??

Would like to be able to log several PIDS for the A6 trans....I know you guys are slammed with other stuff but many of us deep into that trans are trying to better understand some of the feedback from pids..

Any ideas?

Howard

swingtan
October 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
You need to write a "custom PID" in the "calc_pids.txt" file.

I did this a while back for the brake pedal PID in the E38. Blacky gave some hints on it in a thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Found it......

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13874-E38-Brake-Switch-PID-BBL-vs.-ScanTool

Now for the data you want, you'd need to get the raw data and then work out how it "should" be displayed in Scantool. If you can take the raw data and do direct conversions, then it should be fairly easy to write the custom PIDs.

GMPX
October 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Not sure what sort of data you are wanting to see Howard, but if it's a PID not defined by GM then you can only get the data using what we call DMA PID's, address specific, OS specific, very time consuming.

swingtan
October 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Ahh, yes. I'd read the original post as already having the data.....

I guess that if you had a CAX, then you would be half way to knowing where in the memory the data may be, getting EFILive to read that memory may be a bit harder......

GMPX
October 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Actually the end user can't define DMA PID's, it's defined in the V7 exe, not an external file.

swingtan
October 9th, 2011, 11:27 PM
yep, I figured as much.

Redline Motorsports
October 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm really looking to have logging capability for the A6 trans.... we are limping along in getting better control of that trans and there has to be some helpful pids to log...

Biodiesel66
October 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Actually the end user can't define DMA PID's, it's defined in the V7 exe, not an external file.

Why do some PID's work in pass trough logging and not work with BBL for the same PID for the same controller?

if it's a PID not defined by GM then you can only get the data using what we call DMA PID's, address specific, OS specific, very time consuming.

I'm trying to BBL the LMM and LML GM. DPFSOOT and the PID is not defined for BBL with the error to remove that PID for that controller. But It works in pass trough logging. I would think it should work for types of logging for that controller?

What filedit I eddit to get this to work with BBL?