PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Operating System - Custom OS Questions

LastCall
October 10th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I am in the process up installing a 4L80E, 6.0, and blower into my truck. It is a 2000 Silverado Z71. I originally had an 01 Silverado with all the same mods, except it was a 2wd. I put it back to stock and kept the PCM.

Here are my questions;

How can I upgrade the 2000 PCM with the 01/02 OS so I can have the custom OS?
Should I install my old 2001 PCM? Is there any advantage in doing so?
If I install my old PCM, can I change the VIN? I read there may be some issues with the PCM/BCM not talking if the VIN's are different?

Chevy366
October 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I am in the process up installing a 4L80E, 6.0, and blower into my truck. It is a 2000 Silverado Z71. I originally had an 01 Silverado with all the same mods, except it was a 2wd. I put it back to stock and kept the PCM.

Here are my questions;

How can I upgrade the 2000 PCM with the 01/02 OS so I can have the custom OS? Full Flash another OS .
Should I install my old 2001 PCM? Is there any advantage in doing so? Not really both are 512 kb .
If I install my old PCM, can I change the VIN? Yep you can change VIN numbers with EFILive. I read there may be some issues with the PCM/BCM not talking if the VIN's are different?
Someone else might elaborate a little more on this for him .

ScarabEpic22
October 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Well if you have already licensed your old PCM, reusing it will save you a $125 VIN license. Regardless you should upgrade to a 2002 OS then go to a COS. Change the VIN with EFILive, you will have to do a CASE relearn and security relearn.

LastCall
October 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Well if you have already licensed your old PCM, reusing it will save you a $125 VIN license. Regardless you should upgrade to a 2002 OS then go to a COS. Change the VIN with EFILive, you will have to do a CASE relearn and security relearn.
I already bought the license, so I think I am going to pull an 02 OS from tune file depot, carry everything over from the 00 tune, and do a full flash. If I do that then I should have an 02 operating system and can eventually upgrade to a custom OS.

Does that sound right?

Chevy366
October 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I already bought the license, so I think I am going to pull an 02 OS from tune file depot, carry everything over from the 00 tune, and do a full flash. If I do that then I should have an 02 operating system and can eventually upgrade to a custom OS. <br>
<br>
Does that sound right?Yep , good to go , there are some threads on here about doing just this , do a search or two on the site for instructions .
Here is a read : http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16945-2000-to-2002-OS-to-COS-sanity-check-questions&highlight=99+to+2002

LastCall
October 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yep , good to go , there are some threads on here about doing just this , do a search or two on the site for instructions .
Here is a read : http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16945-2000-to-2002-OS-to-COS-sanity-check-questions&highlight=99+to+2002
Thanks for your help!! I pulled an 02 tune from file depot and started comparing... There are many difference... across the board in the engine calibration and platform info. The timing in the 02 tune seems to be a few degrees higher in both, the low and high octane tables.

Should I just flash the entire 02 calibration over and see how it runs? Or should I copy everything over from the 00 tune?? At this point, everything is stock. I think it is going to take a couple of hours to go through every table and copy over...

Help.... haha

Taz
October 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Your 2000 PCM is compatible with a 2002 OS - you can flash the entire 2002 OS and Calibration if you wish.

Regards,
Taz

LastCall
October 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
So the difference in the calibration will not affect drivability or anything else??

I guess I will try and if there is an issue, I can always go back, right?

joecar
October 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM
The 2002 had different heads/cam... but it's close enough that the tune will run ok on a stock 2000.

Yes, you can always go back, if need be.