PDA

View Full Version : ECM issues finally solved.

icemanjc1
October 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Wanted to share this with all of you. I purchased EFI Live back in June and have had fairly good luck with it. This all new platform showed me we actually might be able to have our cake and eat it too. So for the first 2 weeks I "gently" went about tuning my pickup, thought I had some progress, swapped nozzles, started from scratch again, and so on. Then one night I swapped my Flux 2's back in, only to find the next morning I had some decent injector rattle (truck never had it this bad). No problem I thought, I'll just cruise it for a minute, come back home and tweak it. Well not 2 minutes later I get a loss of power/white smoke situation. My heart dropped. So I go back home and redo the injector install. No more white smoke but, rattle still there. I went back to my known good working tune for my Flux's and the power was less and still the damn rattle. So I bide my time some, then purchase a new set of DDP 120 nozzles in hopes i just had a bad nozzle (knowing in the back of my head somewhere that's not it). Same issue still. After fighting with tuning, staring at injector balance tests, I replaced 4 injector bodies and all new style connector tubes over the following couple of months. Note that throughout all this I had very bad 2nd to 3rd shuttle shifting, odd lock up timing in OD (43mph). Not to mention a lot of tuning that didn't seem to be doing much good or make much difference. When I say that, I mean I got the truck to run pretty well, but in that came severe RPM hang (run away condition) at mid/low RPM shifts to 4th gear. Talk about shooting my confidence to shit. Could NOT find a sweet spot. No speakable low end, still smokey, odd hiccups when placed into gear. I had tried 4 different OS as well. I even loaded up my PMT CL a few times just make sure I wasn't losing my frickin' mind. :bad:

Also to add, one day a CEL popped up, a much different code for the TTVA. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. I'd reload the tune and it was fine for ten minutes, then again the same shit.

To sum it, I purchased a used ECM from a wrecked truck and POOF! My issues have seemed to be resolved. Locks up when it should, shuttle shift lessened a lot, not weird hiccups in gear, less smoke and better low end (and my overboost code comes back). It's been about 3 days worth of tuning and the changes I make to the truck actually take affect without making the truck go all nutty. Now it's impressive to drive, not driving it with the feeling "what's wrong now".

Just felt like sharing....

TexasCummins
October 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I had that problem with mine - the truck started shifting horribly (got worse over time), had no power and would not accept a tune in the ECM. Lucky for me it was back on the stock tune when it threw a code for internal ECM fault and the dealer reflashed it under warranty to the upgraded OS and calibration.

AdamRRT
October 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Glad to hear you got it worked out, Icem.

GMPX
October 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
That is all kind of of strange, the ECM's are built quite robust, not sure on the choice of mounting position though. Do you guys know if they fail often?

icemanjc1
October 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
They don't fail very often that I've read. I think I attract strange problems.

cmcz450
October 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Half of my ECM died over the summer, it was missing like a bitch, but I got a used ECM in it and it ran fine. It seems that this not so common issue is becoming more of an issue.