PDA

View Full Version : Vin Relearn for new ECM, steps?

LBZoom
October 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,
Just want to make sure I'm doing things right.... when a customer requests a new ECM, I need to obtain his vin number and use the bidirectional control to change the vin right? What about the VAT relink settings?

What are the steps to make the ECM ready to drop in? Thanks!

pavetim
October 21st, 2011, 12:08 AM
Not sure if this is what your looking for but from what i've done on my 98 silverado when I replaced the ecm is this. Crank truck (it till shut off) and leave it on until the security light goes out. Then do it again and do the same thing. Think it took me like 3-4 times of doing that to relearn. Not sure if the newer ones are different though. And as a side not what does the bidirectional controls do anyways? I've always wondered that.

ticker454
October 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
Antitheft relearn can be done on the newer ones the same way. It takes about 30 minutes without a Tech2 and about 10 minutes with tech2. Turn key on and try to crank(it will not start). Leave key on and security light should go out in 10 minutes. When light goes out turn key off for 5 seconds. Repeat those steps 3-4 times. It should start then. Just make sure the key is off before you start it when finished.

JoshH
October 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
You can program a VIN into the ECM with EFILive. Takes about 30 seconds. It doesn't even require a license.

LBZoom
October 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
Awesome thanks guys!

GM-OOD
March 8th, 2012, 06:31 AM
You can program a VIN into the ECM with EFILive. Takes about 30 seconds. It doesn't even require a license.
How can this be done.
Thanks

GMPX
March 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Via the Scantool or Tuning tool.