PDA

View Full Version : Newbe; project Nissan 4x4 with LS1-4L65E

Mayhem
October 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hi Guy's
I have been troling this site for a few months now trying to get my head around EFI tuning. I'm very new to this electronic tuning, more mechanical orientated.
Here is what I have and what I've done.
I have built a LS1 with GM performance LS6 heads a LS hot cam and LS2 intake and injectors, for now I am running the stock LS1 DBC throttle body (on an adaptor) till I can get an 80mm DBC ls2 TB
I have a stand alone wiring harnessfrom PSI.
I want to use a 1024k RR ECU that I bought used from a mate as well as EFILive v1.
I am running 36" tyres and 4.33 gears:blahblah::sly:.

Here are a few problems that I have run into:bad:The engine loom I got was for a 512k ECU (Red/Blue plug) and my rr is 1024k (Blue Green plug). I did borrow a 512k ECU from a mate and managed to get the engine to run and rev but it was difficult to get it to idle(obviously incorrect tune) I then tried the RR ECU and the engine starts and idles only very low rpm. I know that the tune in the RR was for a DBW TB and also manual gear box.

Now here are my questions:
1: Where can I find a base tune for my application? I have tried a few from the tune file depot but when I try to load it onto the ECU I get a message that this type of ECU is not recognised by EFIlive....?
2: Do I need to change/ add wiring for the O2 sensors (because of different ECU plugs)
3: On the transmition side, should I put the VSS on the adaptor between the gearbox and t-case or would it be better on the output shaft of the t-case?
4: If I install the VSS on the output shaft of the t-case how will the ECU know when the t-case is in low range?
5: If I change the tyre size and gear ratio in the speedo section of the tune will this automaticly change the settings in the gear shift section?
6: Can I scan directly from the RR ECU to my laptop or must I go threw the scan tool via OBDII plug?

I'm sure this thread will keep you busy for a while to come as I havent started to tune yet:bad:and am sure there will be lots more questions.
I would like to thank you all in advance for any help that you can give. I live in Cape Town SA. and am not aware of anyone else in my area with the sort of experience you guys have to help.:rockon:
You guys rock and I hope to someday be able to give back what I have received.

slows10
October 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I see you say you are using efilive V1. I wonder if this is a problem with the files on tuned file depot and or a 1mb ecm?I know someone who has alot of bin files, I will check to see if he has a 1mb with the iac drivers installed. But again you may have another issue because those files on tuned file depot should definately work. And should be supported.

Mayhem
October 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi slows10
I have downloaded another tune and loaded it onto my ECU and it seems to have taken. I think it is because I was trying to make changes before loading onto the ECU, This time I loaded it to the ECU then did the changes. I will fit it tonight and see if she fires up.

Thanks

slows10
October 19th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Ok good. I have located some 1mb bin files with the iac drivers installed, that are not on tune file depot. If you need a few Ill send them if you need them. Good luck.

Mayhem
October 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks, I will try running the engine tonight and let you know.
Are any of the tunes you have for 5.7l I cant seem to find any, only 4.8's and 6.0l. I know that 5.7s wernt offered in trucks.

slows10
October 20th, 2011, 12:07 AM
some are 5.3. I think maybe a 04 gto had dbc and a 5.7 ls1. I think I may be able to find that. I am not sure if a gto bin will work but not sure. But for a 5.3 bin you can just change the diplacement to whatever you are running in the tune file. cant remember the table number off hand right now.

Mayhem
October 20th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I will need an OS from a truck so as to have the 4x4 low tune in the trans.

Mayhem
October 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I fitted the ECU last night and started the motor, she started easily but idles very rough. I can rev it and it starts to clear up for about 30 seconds then cuts out. If I start and let it idle it dose idle for as long as I leave it alone, as soon as I rev it up it dose not recover. Where do I start with this tune? how do I download the log that I took to this forum?

joecar
October 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
See post #2 here: Hosting-an-Image (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3064-Hosting-an-Image)