PDA

View Full Version : ECM flash Questions

DODGE74
October 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
I finally decided that it is time to let the Smarty go so I removed it today and did a full flash with the Christmas tune and had a problem entering my vin at the end of the flash. I finally got myself straightened out, changed the vin to my vin but now my rear window/mirror defrost light in the button is flashing. So I'm not sure what went wrong so if any of you guys can help me out it would be appreciated.

When I couldnt get the vin to change I did not start the truck but I did turn the key on and off a few times to connect the flash scan so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. The truck does run and seems to be fine other than the light is flashing. As of now the stock tune is loaded in the ecm.

GMPX
October 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Not sure what the 'Christmas tune' is. Did you return the truck to stock with the Smarty then re-read the ECM as your base file? You should always start with the tune from your truck then you will avoid all the VIN issues.

Dmaxink
October 23rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Not sure what the 'Christmas tune' is. Did you return the truck to stock with the Smarty then re-read the ECM as your base file? You should always start with the tune from your truck then you will avoid all the VIN issues.

Lol Ross that is too funny! I could imagine you saying "Christmas tune..wtf?" Lolol...that is the "gift tune" that Rich let out as a freebie/starter tune. Lolol

FUBAR
October 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Dodge74. Don't worry about it. Press the button several times and it'll go out if it hasn't already.

AdamRRT
October 24th, 2011, 12:55 AM
No it's not the gift tune. He posted the 2409 stock file, named something about "christmas tune".

DODGE74: I had the same thing. Also accompanied my ABS and BRAKE lights. I just had to reflash my tune. It usually happens if I do something I know is dumb, like opening the door during the flashing of the ECM. Just reflash a time or two and you'll be ok man. I just did it last week. And maybe a few times before that also. You'd think I'd have learned from GM cars.

Dmaxink
October 24th, 2011, 01:52 AM
No it's not the gift tune. He posted the 2409 stock file, named something about "christmas tune".

DODGE74: I had the same thing. Also accompanied my ABS and BRAKE lights. I just had to reflash my tune. It usually happens if I do something I know is dumb, like opening the door during the flashing of the ECM. Just reflash a time or two and you'll be ok man. I just did it last week. And maybe a few times before that also. You'd think I'd have learned from GM cars.

Ohh alrighty then... I figured he had just mistaken the "gift tune" for Christmas tune.. Oh well, gave me a good laugh anyways... That is like the EFILIVE hacker around here.. he would name the tune "stupid fast" "widow maker" ect ect.. lol just makesfor some good smiles.

DODGE74
October 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM

The Christmas tune is a stock tune with the 2409 os. It was posted on this forum and that is how it was labled and named in my computer. Yes I returned the Smarty to stock before I flashed the Christmas tune in my truck. It was brought up before that if you were running a tuner or multiple tuners on your truck that they could or do leave some trace files the actually do not return to stock, hence why I flashed the Christmas tune.

Lol Ross that is too funny! I could imagine you saying "Christmas tune..wtf?" Lolol...that is the "gift tune" that Rich let out as a freebie/starter tune. Lolol

No, its not the "Gift tune" that Rich posted. I know enough to know not to flash a manual tune into a auto truck.
Actually Kory, I think that you posted that file. And I believe you said "Here you go, Merry Christmas" and that is how its labled.

Dodge74. Don't worry about it. Press the button several times and it'll go out if it hasn't already.

Ok, thanks FUBAR. I will not worry about it to much and maybe on the next couple of flashes it will go back to normal.

Thank you Adam your spot on.

Ok, that might have happened, my son thats 4 years old did open the passenger side door while I was in the middle of the flash so maybe thats what happened.

FUBAR
October 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
For what it's worth, I open up the doors, roll down or up the windows, etc. etc. with no problems. I've only had that mirror heat light flash twice out of 4 months worth of flashing. It only happened when changing OS's.

DODGE74
October 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, there goes that theory.

I dont know if you know this or not but my truck has a rear window defroster (like a car) and mirror defrosters all in the same button.

I did flash a tune in it today and it is still flashing, I even tried pushing the button about 200 times and its still doing it.

Rich, (Cumminalong) did mention that he thought that the original tune that I flashed it probably didnt have that function from the factory but I thought that it would be controled by the TIPM. So as of now I'm not sure whats causing it and would greatly appreciate anyones input.

DODGE74
October 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ok, here is what I did. I disconnected the window plugs on the defroster this afternoon. Tonight I had to run to the store and when I turned the key on the light flashed twice and then went off. I drove to the store, about 15 minutes away, shut the truck off, connected the plugs back in, turned the key on and all is well. I dont know if it was a freak thing or what but all is well now. Thanks guys for your help.
Gordon.

FUBAR
October 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Window plugs on the defroster?? What? Anyway, glad you got it figured out.

DODGE74
October 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Yes, my truck has a rear window defroster like a car. I dont know maybe it was a option for the Laramie.

AdamRRT
October 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM
For what it's worth, I open up the doors, roll down or up the windows, etc. etc. with no problems. I've only had that mirror heat light flash twice out of 4 months worth of flashing. It only happened when changing OS's.It doesn't make a difference every time. Its gonna depend upon a lot of variables that I'm sure you can think of. One of which may include when changing OSes. Even then I'm not sure that it's predictable Now if you start with the door open and keep it open that's different (obviously). But read your EFI Live instructions (I think that's where it mentioned it) and ask tuners. Changes in voltage while flashing can (read CAN not "always will") cause issues. I've seen it and so did Dodge74. It's a basic concept in tuning and I really can't believe we are discussing it like it's news. And since I saw a guy shoot himself in the face with a shotgun and sit up and talk to me just fine, that must mean that's safe too. :D

bean
October 25th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Mine has been flashing for a couple months now after trying to change my OS. Wasnt sure if it was flashing before I had done the flash but now I know it wasnt since more people have experianced it.

Dodge 74, what plug and where did you unplug?

DODGE74
October 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Mine has been flashing for a couple months now after trying to change my OS. Wasnt sure if it was flashing before I had done the flash but now I know it wasnt since more people have experianced it.

Dodge 74, what plug and where did you unplug?

Well I hate to bear bad news but the light started flashing again today after i turned the key on after sitting all night and day.

My truck has a rear window defroster just like most cars on the road today, its strange I know but it must of been a option for the Laramie trucks. The rear window on my truck is solid, no slider and it has the fine wire strips in it. On both sides of the window all of the wires come together and form a tongs and thats the plugs that i disconnected.

AdamRRT
October 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I read his post as asking about the connectors. Not about the defroster itself. Just a note. It's not a Laramie specific option. My SLT has it.

Like I said man, reflash it. Last time mine did it, I had to do it twice. Just reflash and all's well. No need for all this wondering. At least for me. And I've had it happen 2-3 times.

2006Cummins
October 26th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Dodge74 - I'm kind of in the same boat as you. After changing the o.s. my truck is doing some weird things too. The brake and abs lights are always on, and the air bag light will stay on for several trips, then be out for a couple. I have gone back to the o.s. that I was running prior to the issues, tried putting the complete stock tune back in, and have flashed other tunes about 20 times, and the lights are still on. I was informed that I have to go to the dealer to have the tipm reflashed to fix the problems - I just really don't want to spend $100 on that right now. I did change the o.s. once before with no issues. I don't know how similar this is to your truck, but thought I'd share my experience with you.

Mike

AdamRRT
October 26th, 2011, 05:01 AM
But did you try reflashing the SAME tune, multiple times, that day? It worked for me each time. I keep hearing of guys trying different tunes for some reason, but not the same one like I said worked for me just fine. I know people say you gotta go to the dealer, but I disagree. I didn't. And that's with the ABS and BRAKE and defroster all on/flashing. Airbag light at times. Some problems have made my temp light come on (I think that's what it was). Just craziness. But the issue you guys are describing was fixed with reflashing the same tune over a couple times. Of course following the basics of tuning: doing nothing that'll change the voltage (radio off, phone charger unplugged, blower off, windows up or down but not changing, doors closed, etc.). Basic tuning.

2006Cummins
October 26th, 2011, 06:15 AM
No, I have not tried flashing the same tune multiple times. I'll give it a try.

Mike

DODGE74
October 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I will also try that tomorrow Adam.

AdamRRT
October 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah it may not work for you, but it has for me every time. Just try a few times. Make sure all electronics are unplugged, feet don't touch pedals; locks, windows, doors are left alone.

2006Cummins
October 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Tried flashing the same file three times back to back - no change. Lift pump unplugged, etc. How many times do you have to do it?

Mike

AdamRRT
October 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Crap. Mine went back after 2x I think. Come to think of it, i used the bone stock 2409 tune in that desperate flashing frenzy. But it shouldn't matter, as that's still not my stock OS. There has to be an answer. Keep flashing it with tunes till one works. I have a tough time believing that EFI Live would cause this without a solution other than going to a dealership.

DODGE74
October 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Tried flashing the same file three times back to back - no change. Lift pump unplugged, etc. How many times do you have to do it?

Mike

Same here.

2006Cummins
November 12th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Fixed it! I changed back to my original os (409), but it was a different vin. So, after changing the vin again all of the lights went out. It has been 3 days and all is good.:banana:

Mike

DODGE74
November 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Fixed it! I changed back to my original os (409), but it was a different vin. So, after changing the vin again all of the lights went out. It has been 3 days and all is good.:banana:

Mike

Well, looks like I'll be swithching my tuning over to the new OS that Joel sent me.

Thanks for the good news Mike.

AdamRRT
November 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Maybe it was flashing back to stock. I know I flashed a couple other tunes until one took without issue. Glad you guys got around it.

2006Cummins
November 17th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Another thing I thought was weird is that the same time the abs/brake and airbag lights came on after the o.s./vin change, my clock disappeared when the radio was off - just a blank screen. I plugged an ipod adapter into my radio today, which required unplugging and reconnecting the main connector, and now my clock is back! I did disconnect the batteries a few weeks ago and that didn't help. Crazy stuff.....

Mike

DODGE74
November 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I switched my tuning over to the new 409os that had the high idle enabled from Joel. All is good with the manual high idle but the stupid defroster light is still flashing.

I guess it is what it is as long as now have the high idle, but it would be nice to have my defrosters back.

AdamRRT
November 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Where'd he post that? I'd like to d/l that if you don't care to point me in the right direction. Thanks man.

DODGE74
November 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Here you go, its labled as the 2409 OS

Second down from the top.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5

AdamRRT
November 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Sweet. thanks man.

skneeland
November 20th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Here you go, its labled as the 2409 OS

Second down from the top.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5

is that the same one that was posted on this forum? i put it on my truck & the manual high idle didnt work

DODGE74
November 20th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I dont believe so, I know for a fact that that this tune file has the high idle enabled, I tried it last night.