PDA

View Full Version : E38 Cammed Tuning Steps

Jester
October 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Just wanted a bit of input from anyone as to logical tuning steps for a cammed '07 LS2. I use to run this in OLSD without cam.

Put ecm into OLSD
Tune idle
Tune low rpm zones & transitions
Tune cruise
Tune WOT (Bring VVE up to commanded AFR in PE mode?)

Then put ecm back in closed loop but only use STFT?

swingtan
October 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Seems like a fairly decent approach. Just remember that if it's a big cam, the idle AFR's will read lean due to unconsumed oxygen from the cylinders. If the can has a bit of overlap, aim for around 15:1 to 15.3:1 idle AFR, then use the MAP to tweak the mixtures. The STFT's will mess it all up later, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Jester
October 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Cheers Swing. So going back into CL and using STFT is what most are doing? The cam is 231 237 112 so there is a bit of overlap.

swingtan
October 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I've done a couple like that. They behave better when cruising with STFT's on. I tend to drop LTFT's though.

ringram
November 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
+1 Indeed dump LTFT's they are gay.
STFT for CL is good. No bad values to dump into PE mode.

As for your plan, sounds good. You might want to do a swipe over the process first to roughly lay out the VVE etc as it will affect idle too.
Idle and transitions is, IMO where you will spend 95% of your tuning time, especially with a beefy cam.
For me with 440 cubes in the E38 B1650 is a mandatory change. Though the less you mess with this the less you have to mess with the other values.

Minimum Idle airflow and the airflow corrections Integral/Prortional tables are major areas. Also dont forget the spark coastdown, idle timing and spark correction tables as well. its easy to get lost in the airflow stuff, but really the final smoothing is much better handled in spark, its faster to react than moving a blade thats a couple of feet away from the combustion chamber.

If you are changing things by large percentages, then its likely you are going the wrong way. Log some more and check whats going on.