PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong.... Dyno run....

Behold
October 29th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Right..... Other than my injectors clearly toping out at about 5000 RPM why am i only producing 284 RWHP...... It is running a little too rich at 10.5/6 is on WOT but still surely LS1 with 5psi should be well in to the 300's at minimum.... will it be just the fact my injectors are over 80% when it needs it.....????

Attached is the run, tune and scan. My Commanded to Actual AFR is not too far out but not 100% hence the 10.5 at top end... its also a smooth curve.

Thoughts???

Tre-Cool
October 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
12180what type of blower? non-intercooled maggie or vortech? it heats up like a mofo way to quickly to be intercooled.

low timing, fat mixture wont help in making power that's for sure.

i have auto ve'd the boost table from that log and adjusted the spark map and bias tables.

macca33
October 29th, 2011, 05:27 PM
A bolt-on and tuned LS1 will make that power and I'd suspect a tuned C4B engine to make around the 290rwhp+ mark, so there is clearly something amiss there if you are pushing 5psi through it and only making what you are making. What FI system are you using? I suspect it may be one of the old CAPA type centrifugal blowers???

swingtan
October 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
OK, I'll go out on a bit of a limb here, assuming all the mechanicals are OK and apart from the obvious injector issues and the over richness,

The rich mixture may be causing a "rich knock" condition, which is pulling spark, dropping power.
Looking at the log, it seems that VSS takes a jump at 3800 RPM, possibly indicating wheel spin on the dyno. At this point, the engine gm/Cyl figure also drops. (frame 971)
IAT is quite high, limiting the amount of spark advance you will be able to run.

Work on the fuel delivery first. Don't bother trying to dial in the spark when you know the fueling is off. Once the fueling is good, then work on the spark. Add an intercooler or get a bigger / better one to help control the IAT's. I'd expect somewhere around the 450+HP from that setup.

Simon.

Behold
October 30th, 2011, 07:43 AM
12180what type of blower? non-intercooled maggie or vortech? it heats up like a mofo way to quickly to be intercooled.

low timing, fat mixture wont help in making power that's for sure.

i have auto ve'd the boost table from that log and adjusted the spark map and bias tables.

Thanks for that. Just so I understand. I get you have told the spark table not to correct as early on when the IAT is high. How did you AutoVE when the LTFT are active accuratly? Also can that be trusted while im leaning out?

As to the High/low spark tables how have you chosen them figures?

The blower is a capa kit. It is non intercooled (Next step before putting more PSI through it) and its using a V2 SQ vortech charger. Its an 8 rib drive and on that PSI should not be slipping. (I think the fact im hitting 135kpa proved its working)

Is there anything to start monitoring to aid understanding this issue more?

OK, I'll go out on a bit of a limb here, assuming all the mechanicals are OK and apart from the obvious injector issues and the over richness,

The rich mixture may be causing a "rich knock" condition, which is pulling spark, dropping power.
Looking at the log, it seems that VSS takes a jump at 3800 RPM, possibly indicating wheel spin on the dyno. At this point, the engine gm/Cyl figure also drops. (frame 971)
IAT is quite high, limiting the amount of spark advance you will be able to run.

Work on the fuel delivery first. Don't bother trying to dial in the spark when you know the fueling is off. Once the fueling is good, then work on the spark. Add an intercooler or get a bigger / better one to help control the IAT's. I'd expect somewhere around the 450+HP from that setup.

Simon.

I was expecting close to 400 RWHP as 300RWHP should be easy on a NA engine. The car runs well and i can only guess its all running well from the fact nothing seems off. There is no untoward sounds both normally or using a screwdriver on different areas of the casings ETC.

Based on this I want to sort the injectors ASAP but the injectors I got with the kit seem to be impossible to get the data for to put them in the car. My next question on here will be what injectors are recomended with good results.

With this I can start working on the finer points of this issue.

macca33
October 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Why don't you specify the injector size and any other modifications to the car, so that people can provide some enlightened advice? At the moment, we're all guessing. Further to that, as Swingtan stated, your IATs are very high - the time for a decent intercooler is already here.

Good luck

Behold
October 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Macca

Good question..... Im running standard injectors that I believe are 22 or 24lb/hr @3bar but im not 100% sure. Im apparently commanding 140% at the worst point.

Im assuming if im going to buy new injectors 60lb/hr seem sensible.

My car is not that modified at the moment but it will be a long standing project.

NOW
Cat back exhaust
5PSI Vortech V2 Charger

Next soon steps in order
Injectors!!!!
Intercooler, better pipework and new BOV's
Larger pulley (7-8psi)
Remove Cats

Future
Headers
Pistons/rods/cam
Larger Pulley
Injectors??? Maybe...

All of this is high level other bits to suit will be done as required (e.g new shells when i do my pistons)

Its my current plan anyway!

Tre-Cool
October 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
you need to put an intercooler on it right now and then put a set of 60lb injectors on. with 5psi of boost you should get away with the standard pump until your breaking the 400rwhp mark. the good thing about the vortech is the power will be build linearly and thus the pump can sustain the pressure fine around the 11.8 afr mark.

macca33
October 31st, 2011, 10:34 PM
Yep, injectors and intercooler would be a very wise decision in the immediate term.

cheers

Behold
October 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM
They both are a top of my list job. the injectors more so so that it does not lean out. the Inter cooler is next up. Im looking at what i need pipe wise to ensure it can be fabricated.

So what 60lb injectors do we have all the data for and are worth using.

Tre-Cool
November 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
intercooler ie easy if your prepared to cut a bit of metal. you'll need to take the v2 off so you can spit the outlet around so it points out the bottom near the chassis rail.

Behold
November 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
intercooler ie easy if your prepared to cut a bit of metal. you'll need to take the v2 off so you can spit the outlet around so it points out the bottom near the chassis rail.

You know I never notices it was exiting down low for the IC route... Not an issue I had to adjust it one already so thats easy. Im going to buy a universal kit on ebay thats been recomended as good to use. Apparently the front needs modifying to fit on a VT... but thats easy to get to apparently.

Good news is I might have the data needed for my injectors. the only issue is its in HPT Format...